My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Ford 3000 gas has a car battery with 580 cold cranking amps. It has seemed real weak. Going through tune up with a several restarts I have to hook up my battery charger with the start boost to give it that extra push. The battery is only a couple months old, but if its not pushing enough amps I might as well replace it with the proper size. Otherwise I am putting a strain on the starter and shortening the life off it. What size is everyone using?
:thanku:

·
Premium Member
7,994 Posts
On my 3 cylinder 4000 gasser I use a battery made for a 1998 GMC diesel pickup truck. It's rated at 850cca and it has side post terminals so there's no chance of it shorting against the top of the hood. The original battery cables were in pretty bad shape anyway when I replaced the old battery, so I just bought generic side post 00 cables at Pep Boys. It's been working great for 3 years now. Starts on the first crank every time. The 1998 diesel GMC pickup actually uses 2 of these batteries, but I only have one in there. It is small enough in physical dimensions that I could put a second one along side it on the original battery tray and hook them up in parallel if I ever thought that the one wasn't enough. I put a battery tender on it for a couple of days every few weeks if I don't use the tractor for a long time, like over the winter.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Your tractor probably calls for a 4DLT battery. They provide 980 cold cranking amps. The best place to get this battery is from Tractor Supply Company.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks I maybe going to tractor supply today anyway. I see those batteries are $124. ouch. Maybe I can sell the battery I have and make up some of the money.
What does 4DLT stand for?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I picked up a battery from Tractor Supply. It has 1075 cold cranking amps. It's not a 4DLT, but their 4DLT wouldn't fit in my battery tray. I did get a commercial grade heavy duty tractor battery. It was $85. I haven't been able to try it out yet however. I broke a lug off the starter solinoid while replacing some wiring. The lug was severely corroded anyway. Tractor supply was out of the one I needed. I will be picking one up sometime today and trying it out later today.

·
Not a restorer
160 Posts
4D is a size, LT means low top (at least as far as I understand - presumably shorter than a regular 4D), and they won't fit in a Ford thousand gasser - they are the battery of choice for a ford (3 cyl, anyway) diesel.

OTOH, always check the cables and connections as well as the battery. I'll try to remember to look at what the tiny NAPA battery the PO put in my gas 4500 is, but it sits forlornly in the middle of the battery tray with lots of space around it, and starts the tractor just fine even at -20...it ain't right, but it works. OTOH, the diesel is much happier with one cable end replaced (corrosion, bad connection) and a 4DLT to crank it, as opposed to the 650 CCA Wal-Mart special it came with. But that did work OK (not great) in summer.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That battery I got ended up being a 6 volt! It wasn't marked at all, but I found out when I put it in and turned the key. So back to Tractor Supply I went. I got back to late to mess with it. Someday the tractor will be running.
:banghead3

·
Not a restorer
160 Posts
It's a group 26 (I think, didn't write that down), 560 CCA @ 22F, 420 CCA @ 0F - teeny little car battery.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts