My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading through the K341 manual I noticed it says API Service Class SF or SG. The Castrol SAE 30 I picked up the other day is API SM, the latest. Has anyone found these new oils to mess with the old engine designs. I don't even know if the old K series motors are flat tappet, but some say the reduction of ZDDP in the SM stuff hinders flat tappet motors. What's your opinion?

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
SM oil meets all the requirements that SF and SG oil met plus all the SE to SL requirements. The only time you would get into trouble is if you went backwards and used SG oil in an engine that required SM oil. You are worrying about nothing. Roger

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
if castrols good enough for raceing engines it should be good for these smaii engines.I was thinking of going with castrol myself.

·
Registered
286 Posts
The K engines are flat tappet. It is true that modern oils do have a reduction in zinc and phosphorus that these old flat tappet engines love, but the RPMs and valve spring pressures are so low in these engines its almost a non issue.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
I use NAPA brand 10w30 in all my rigs. My mechanic said it is the same as Valvoline.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts