My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so it looks like I am going to replace the motor in my Husqvarna YTH 18542. I got the charging system working, but it is smoking and using a lot of oil, I have no idea what motor thats in it other than it's 4hp smaller than the original.

I think I have narrowed it down to either a 21hp Briggs professional single or 22hp Briggs v-twin Intek, but I am open to other suggestions.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I guess I should have given you a little more information. I Will mainly be mowing our 3/4 acre yard. It has some hills but mostly flat. I am also the kind of person who keeps everything forever and will probably have this mower forever, as I have never bought a mower before and still using one that my wife got when we got married in 1995 and a mower I got from Dad that he bought new in the seventies.

This mower only has 350 hours on it I have nothing in it and a new one would be more than double the price of the motor.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I would vote for the twin as well, however, I would think that hooking up the twin in place of the original single cylinder might present a few challenges.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Things to look out for when making the swap:
1. Fuel line length
2. Wiring length
3. Throttle/choke cable lengths (separate or 1?)
4. Front gas tank vs. rear (battery included)
5. The air duct between the hood and engine may be different
6. Muffler & exhaust pipes

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Stick with the single, unless you have extra time and $ fabbing parts.
I just ordered a 21hp Briggs single. Its not a Professional series that I mentioned above but the Endurance series, which is Briggs line for Husqvarna. Internally it the same engine, but the plastic is in Husqvarna colors and says Husqvarna. I ordered it from smallenginesurplus.com for $469 and only $42 for shipping. Best price I could find, and there in Missouri so it should get here quick.

Thanks for all your help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts