My Tractor Forum banner

What model Oliver is this old girl .

1177 Views 9 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  Dock Baze
This is my late great uncle in his prized Oliver. I always thought it was a cockshutt because of the decal but his son in law said no it’s an early 60s Oliver painted as a cockshutt because they bout out out Oliver.
As far as I’m away he also had a 50s Farmall and massy Harris. At least they went to a running farm . I actually think all three are still being used to be honest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
I say it looks like it

Looks like the 880 gas model to me.

My neighbor growing up had an Oliver, never heard him say he had any issues with it and it worked a few hundred acres.
I don’t like how the young fella uses it at the docks to haul his boat . That’s what that jacked up Silverado is for . Not a classic tractor .its easy to see he doesn’t appreciate it like his late grand father Kent . Kent bought everything from my uncle to help his wife. They had a huge 2 1/2 story house and he built a brand new bungalow for her in their side yard . I like how they used the old railings from his parents house in the new house. The bulldozed the old house and sold the rest of the barns and land to Kent .kent was a good fella

My neighbor growing up had an Oliver, never heard him say he had any issues with it and it worked a few hundred acres.
So are you saying someone painted an Oliver to look like a Cockshutt? The Olivers and Cockshutts of that era were built on the same assembly line - the only difference is the paint and brand decals/identification. So if you have a serial number, it should be pretty straightforward to look it up on any of the Oliver or White databases.

I've always been interested by how these companies all came together. White Motor Company (trucks) bought Oliver (1960) and then Cockshutt (1962). And then Minneapolis Moline. Similar to how GM did things, you could buy the same tractor under different brand names/colors during that time. They then folded all the brands under the White brand in the mid-70's.
That’s what I’m told .

So are you saying someone painted an Oliver to look like a Cockshutt? The Olivers and Cockshutts of that era were built on the same assembly line - the only difference is the paint and brand decals/identification. So if you have a serial number, it should be pretty straightforward to look it up on any of the Oliver or White databases.

I've always been interested by how these companies all came together. White Motor Company (trucks) bought Oliver (1960) and then Cockshutt (1962). And then Minneapolis Moline. Similar to how GM did things, you could buy the same tractor under different brand names/colors during that time. They then folded all the brands under the White brand in the mid-70's.
Interesting. I guess the only way to know for sure would be to see if there is green paint somewhere underneath. Someone put a lot of time into that, for sure. It looks nice, I have a soft spot for Olivers (being south of the Canada border and all)
His son and law said there was green under the paint chips lol [emoji23]. I was shocked

Interesting. I guess the only way to know for sure would be to see if there is green paint somewhere underneath. Someone put a lot of time into that, for sure. It looks nice, I have a soft spot for Olivers (being south of the Canada border and all)
Oliver had a contract with Cockshutt, they built tractors, painted them green if they were going to stay in the USA, and painted them red and white if they were going to Canada. However, Oliver did not make a Model 880 for Cockshutt
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.