My Tractor Forum banner

What model of tractor is this and what are the specs?

5823 10
I found this on a small farm I am considering purchasing. I am thinking I can use it for drilling wells. Maybe even geothermal holes. That way I would not have to tie up a work tractor. Front tire has a hole, back tires are good, it seems

I do not even know if it runs. Are parts available? Any info would be welcome.

Thanks

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Looks like a minneaplis moline.
I found this on a small farm I am considering purchasing. I am thinking I can use it for drilling wells. Maybe even geothermal holes. That way I would not have to tie up a work tractor. Front tire has a hole, back tires are good, it seems

I do not even know if it runs. Are parts available? Any info would be welcome.

Thanks
Looks like a "Z" to me, could be a ZTN or a ZAN. Check tractordata.com for more info.

steve
I agree, a Minneapolis ZAN.
Parts would have to come from a tractor junk yard except for some that might still be available from AGCO, the current company of the original manufacturer. Most AGCO dealers would now be labeled as Massey Ferguson dealers, I suspect.
Got to AGCO. com and you can see the parts book, etc.

Tractors > Minneapolis-Moline > ZA

Minneapolis-Moline ZA
Minneapolis-Moline ZA tractor photo
1949 - 1953
Row-Crop tractor
Previous model: Minneapolis-Moline ZTU
Next model: Minneapolis-Moline ZB

Overview

Engine
Transmission
Dimensions
Photos
Tests

Production:
Manufacturer: Minneapolis-Moline
Factory: Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA

Variants:
ZAU: tricycle front
ZAS: standard front
ZAN: single front wheel
ZAE: adjustable wide front
ZASI: industrial

Minneapolis-Moline ZA Engine:
Minneapolis-Moline 3.4L 4-cyl gasoline
full engine details ...

Capacity:

Power Take-off (PTO):
Rear RPM: 540

Dimensions & Tires:
ZAU Wheelbase: 82 inches [208 cm]
ZAE Wheelbase: 90.125 inches [228 cm]
Weight: 3750 to 4290 pounds
Front tire: 5.5x16
Rear tire: 11x38
full dimensions and tires ...

ZA Serial Numbers:
Location: Left side of tractor frame, ahead of operator platform.
photo of ZA serial number

1949: 0064900001 (ZAU)
1950: 0065000001 (ZAU)
1950: 00600001 (ZAU)
1951: 00605436 (ZAU)
1952: 00609940 (ZAU)
Final: 00614658 (ZAU)
1949: 0094900001 (ZAE)
1950: 0095000001 (ZAE)
1950: 00900001 (ZAE)
1951: 00900374 (ZAE)
1952: 00900577 (ZAE)
1953: 00900998 (ZAE)
Final: 00901122 (ZAE)
1949: 0084900001 (ZAN)
1950: 0085000001 (ZAN)
1950: 00800001 (ZAN)
1951: 00800239 (ZAN)
1952: 00800443 (ZAN)
1953: 00800619 (ZAN)
Final: 00800620 (ZAN)
Looks like a "Z" to me, could be a ZTN or a ZAN. Check tractordata.com for more info.

steve
Cool tractor! Not sure if the single front wheel makes it more or less valueable? It's not something you see often up here, but I think they were more commonly used down in cotton country.

You probably know this already, but if you buy the property be prepared for it to be gone when you take posession. Unless you specifically include it in the offer, the owner can take it with him.
Hey Guys,
Thanks for the info and getting me on the right track.

Looking at different pics the R and Z series look similar with the Z series being more powerful. Guess I need to take a look at the serial to determine which one it really is. I think it is a Z though like you said because standing next to this thing it is big.....and as old as I am, lol. Our Farmall was not this big .

Yeah, a lot of cotton was grown in this area in years gone by. I would not be surprised if this tractor was here when they purchased the farm a few years ago.

The owner is a young widow with 2 small children. They have some small farm animals but do not do any farming at all. I think they would like to leave as much as possible.

How much is something like this worth anyway? Worth fixing? I know it all depends what is wrong, but at what point do I just say no and sell the parts or use it for yard art LOL, like it is now.
Cool tractor! Not sure if the single front wheel makes it more or less valueable? It's not something you see often up here, but I think they were more commonly used down in cotton country.

You probably know this already, but if you buy the property be prepared for it to be gone when you take posession. Unless you specifically include it in the offer, the owner can take it with him.
If it has been sitting and does not currently run then it isn't worth more than scrap price, but you could invest some time and not a lot of money to see if you can get the engine to turn and then see if you can get it to run with just simple tune-up parts and fresh gas, but I wouldn't put money into anything beyond oil and tune-up parts until I was sure I could get it running.

You mention wanting to use it for drilling. I'm not familiar with that model and I can't tell from the pictures whether it has a 3 point lift or some non-standard lift like some of the older tractors had before everyone standardized on the 3 point system, or no lift at all, and tractordata makes no mention of a lift either, so if it doesn't have a lift I don't know how it would help you drill holes.
M&M Z's did NOT have 3 point and I know of no short line that makes one that would fit it. This model would not be conducive for such. the seat sits way back and operator often stood while driving it. Also, if memory serves me (I had an earlier model Z.) this model is a ZA. I think the brake pedals are on the left side and probably a hand clutch on the right. In my opinion it is set up strangely. I liked my Z, but the above listed controls are different on the ZA.
The tractor shown, does have a hydraulic system for remote cylinders. It will also have a belt pulley and a pto. These tractors had a strange valve setup and were prone to stick over the off season. Freeing them up did not usually require the head to come off, as the valve cover allowed access to one side and the spark plug hole the other side.
They had a 5 speed transmission with a pretty fast road gear. The reverse gear was really slow.
And, the Farmall you had was probably not smaller than this tractor. The only Farmalls smaller are the Cub, A and C.
Thanks, I will have to take a look at it again but does not sound promising for hole drilling, and is probably too much trouble and time than it is worth.

I think the tractor we had was the "H" by looking at the pictures. This MM is definitely larger as far as the total mass of the tractor. The age is right also, my parents moved to the farm in Michigan in 1948 and I was born in 195
M&M Z's did NOT have 3 point and I know of no short line that makes one that would fit it. This model would not be conducive for such. the seat sits way back and operator often stood while driving it. Also, if memory serves me (I had an earlier model Z.) this model is a ZA. I think the brake pedals are on the left side and probably a hand clutch on the right. In my opinion it is set up strangely. I liked my Z, but the above listed controls are different on the ZA.
The tractor shown, does have a hydraulic system for remote cylinders. It will also have a belt pulley and a pto. These tractors had a strange valve setup and were prone to stick over the off season. Freeing them up did not usually require the head to come off, as the valve cover allowed access to one side and the spark plug hole the other side.

They had a 5 speed transmission with a pretty fast road gear. The reverse gear was really slow.

And, the Farmall you had was probably not smaller than this tractor. The only Farmalls smaller are the Cub, A and C.
Yes it is a ZAN 1951-52 model from the looks of it. Most parts are available somewhere, just need to know where to look.
Check to see if stuck first. These tractors do not have a topside head to pull off and get pistons out or moving by pushing on them. The block with two cylinders is one piece with casting over top of cylinders. The "head" is on side and little access to cylinders thru there. The valves are layed over horizontally and can be seen there, and the two covers on opposite side are where the very long rocker arms are and are adjusted there. They go down to cam in crankcase w/out lifters or push rods. Is a very odd lay-out, but used my MM for long time. Not much in new parts for these, most will be for good used and have to check around. Bearings, gaskets and rings and such are available at many places tho. No 3pt for them. Some had a rockshaft uner or in front of seat that was turned by a big cylinder which can be taken off and put on MM equipment for lifting those, but not much else. I don't care for single wheels, they are easy to just push and slide when wanting to turn if in soft or muddy ground. Good tractor for a collector to buy and re-do, but wouldn't be good to just tune up and use as it is.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.