My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a new winter project but have no idea what make it is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Its a MTD. Not sure on the model though.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
If you can find the word CODE on the engine shroud you should be able to find out what year. The first two digits under CODE are the year. The next set is the month and the set after that is the day.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
It is a 1974 based on the code. MTD built tractors under many different names so it is no telling what yours was sold under. My MTD 990 (avatar) was sold under the American Hardware Stores brand as a Kingwood. I know for a fact the 990 was sold under at least 20 names.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This doesn't look as big as your 990. I have 13x5-6 front tires, 18x6.58 rear tires, 8hp briggs and stratton, with a 34" mower deck. I do see that mtd has been sold under many different names.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
This doesn't look as big as your 990. I have 13x5-6 front tires, 18x6.58 rear tires, 8hp briggs and stratton, with a 34" mower deck. I do see that mtd has been sold under many different names.
Your tractors rear tires are the size of the fronts on the 990 give or take a few inches. Your tractor was the smallest model in MTD's line up where mine was the largest at the time.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Any idea where to look on the frame for the model no?
it should be a tag on the dash. It is most likely a foil tag so it might not be readable.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There is no tags on the lawn tractor. So it looks like I'll be guessing what it may be. Just my luck I always get the odd balls.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts