My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every year around this time, I find one of these, always in the same place: hanging out under the garage doors (where the seal hits the concrete).

It's about a foot long, but very skinny (I'd guess 3/8 inch or less in diameter).

What is it?

Mike

Attachments

·
Parts collector
3,420 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sure looks like that's it, thanks!

I was a bit disappointed to see that insects (especially ants) aren't listed as part of its diet. But, if their diet is worms, that would sort of explain their choice of hiding place. We get lots of night crawlers traversing the driveway, especially after it rains.

Mike

·
Premium Member
9,508 Posts
They are beautiful little critters. The neck ring and belly can be yellow, orange or red. Sadly, I see them squashed in the road fairly often when walking the dogs.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,113 Posts
I found one like that under my overhead garage door when I opened it a few years ago,it was a tiny one,about the same size & diameter of a pencil...They must like the area under the door ,for shade and the bugs that crawl under there!..

I'd seen quite a few snakes in my time,but I had to google to find out what kind it was..
I've seen and caught garter snakes,milk snakes,corn or rat snakes,seen a copperhead and a water mocasin in Fitchburg when I was a kid,and only one hog nosed snake..but I'd never seen a ring snake before..the google info on it said they are fairly rare,and I think maybe an endangered species..it said they usually don't grow that long or thick unlike garter snakes..

I wish I had a predator that would eat the HUGE wood spiders I get here--back on Monday I used a electric hedge trimmer to chop down weeds along the foundation in front of my house--they grew so thick the weed whacker wasn't working too good..
As soon as I started trimming next to the foundation,this tarantula sized monster spider scrambles up the wall,stops halfway and stares me down,as if to say "go ahead,maybe I'll leap right on you,maybe I wont"..had them do that before and creep me out..

Then I see a wasp under the bay window,making a new nest--so I go get the wasp spray to soak the wasp & nest and Mr.Spider--but the spider vanished in the 30 seconds it took me to retrieve the wasp spray and return..I was pretty nervous the rest of the time cutting those weeds down..I hate those friggin spiders!..

·
Registered
728 Posts
I can't say I've ever seen one of those snakes that's interesting.

my mother-in-law is deathly afraid of spiders and my three-year-old grandson is not afraid to pick up anything.

one day when she was watching him he brought something over to put in her hand.

she held her hand out and he dropped a great big wolf spider, still alive, in her hand. she freaked out and stomped on it.

·
Parts collector
3,420 Posts
I can't say I've ever seen one of those snakes that's interesting.

my mother-in-law is deathly afraid of spiders and my three-year-old grandson is not afraid to pick up anything.

one day when she was watching him he brought something over to put in her hand.

she held her hand out and he dropped a great big wolf spider, still alive, in her hand. she freaked out and stomped on it.
:sidelaugh

·
Premium Member
8,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Agreed. We don't see too many snakes around here. Mostly these little guys and an occasional garter snake. I did see something bigger than a garter snake once, buried in a leaf composting pile.

I'm lucky to see 1-2 snakes a year here.

Mike

·
Premium Member
3,986 Posts
We call them black racers. You will find them to be one of the most friendly snakes around.
I've seen one of those on my property and he was an interesting fellow. Climbed my 4ft hedge in 2 seconds. I think he was hunting birds. Only time I've seen one here in 20yrs.

We have plenty of other snakes here. Ring necks, black, speckled king, brown rat, brown snail eaters, garters, grass/green and copperheads.

·
forkz
5,861 Posts
i seen one black snake here this yer we get a few cotton mouths copperheads water moccasins been dry here they come around looking water

·
Premium Member
9,508 Posts
i seen one black snake here this yer we get a few cotton mouths copperheads water moccasins been dry here they come around looking water
I'm a pretty big snake enthusiast. In fact, I have 3 of them as pets. Still, I'm very glad to live in an area where we only have one species of venomous snake, and those are critically endangered.

·
Premium Member
3,986 Posts
I'm a pretty big snake enthusiast. In fact, I have 3 of them as pets. Still, I'm very glad to live in an area where we only have one species of venomous snake, and those are critically endangered.
I'm fine with non venomous snakes and leave them be. I have killed 2 copperheads near my house after I almost stepped on them. They will not move and strike when you get near them. People get bit here pretty often stepping on them.

When I lived in Texas I dealt with cottonmouths when fishing. They are the tools of snakes--total jerks.

2,670 Posts
Maryland

It’s illegal to kill any snake in Maryland without a permit from the Department of Natural Resources. They’re protected by the Nongame and Endangered Species Conservation Act (MD Code, Natural Resources, § 10-2A-01-09).

This act is essentially an extension of the federal Endangered Species Act (ESA). Specific local species are protected, whether they’re included in the federal listings or not.

Breaking this law carries the same penalty as violating the federal ESA. You could be fined up to $1000, or even spend a year in jail. According to the Cumberland Times-News, a man called Charles Robertson found this out after clearing a copperhead from his yard.

Laws by each state:

https://www.snakesforpets.com/law-on-killing-snakes-by-state/#Maryland

·
Premium Member
8,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My 8-year-old son calmly told me that he saw a snake in the grass while playing outside over the weekend (he told me days later).

What I love is that he wasn't afraid of it, and said he was careful not to step on it because he didn't want to hurt it. I say that not because I'm a snake lover, but because I don't want him to get bit.

Sounds like it was just under two feet long, light brown with dark brown spots. I think I saw one of those in the leaf/compost pile in the garden last year.

Mike

2,670 Posts
I don't like snakes. All I think is one could make his way in the house and while we are sleeping, he's moving around somewhere. My sister found one in her basement that spook her. She had a neighbor whose a snake lover come get it.

·
Parts collector
3,420 Posts
Snakes are the devil, it's in the Bible. :tango_face_wink:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts