My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
15,000 +posts!
19,772 Posts
I made a ramp for my shed from an angle iron frame,and used 3/4" plywood to cover it..
It rotted away in a few years ,I replaced the sheet twice,then decided to paint it with leftover oil based house paint I had..this made it so slippery my tractor would not drive up it if it was wet,it would slide off to one side!..I had to add cleats of 1 x 3 wood for the tires to grip,after trying roll roofing and shingles,bith got torn off too easily..

The last time I replaced the plywood,I decided to pour a few gallons of drain oil on the underside of it and spread it around with a brush--let it soak in a day,then repeated,till it didn't want to absorb any more..
I coated the top side with Thompson's water seal ,that I found at the dump in the "take it or leave it" pile,and its been about 10 years now,the plywood is holding up well still..it was not pressure treated,just plain CDX stuff too..

I remembered after I posted about adding the pipes for "stake pockets" yesterday that I used conduit straps to attach them to the sides of the trailer,so the pipes on the side boards could slip all the way thru the stake pocket pipes..

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I made a ramp for my shed from an angle iron frame,and used 3/4" plywood to cover it..
It rotted away in a few years ,I replaced the sheet twice,then decided to paint it with leftover oil based house paint I had..this made it so slippery my tractor would not drive up it if it was wet,it would slide off to one side!..I had to add cleats of 1 x 3 wood for the tires to grip,after trying roll roofing and shingles,bith got torn off too easily..

The last time I replaced the plywood,I decided to pour a few gallons of drain oil on the underside of it and spread it around with a brush--let it soak in a day,then repeated,till it didn't want to absorb any more..
I coated the top side with Thompson's water seal ,that I found at the dump in the "take it or leave it" pile,and its been about 10 years now,the plywood is holding up well still..it was not pressure treated,just plain CDX stuff too..

I remembered after I posted about adding the pipes for "stake pockets" yesterday that I used conduit straps to attach them to the sides of the trailer,so the pipes on the side boards could slip all the way thru the stake pocket pipes..
I believe I have a gallon or two of that Thompsons water seal in my garage.....I'll probably hit the plywood with that when it warms up a bit. The plywood deck was put on almost a year ago, so that pressure treated stuff should be dry enough after a year. I'll just flip it over to do the bottom side.....thanks.

Warner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts