My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posting a couple of pics of this grass that grows around here. Anyone know what kind of grass this is? Is there anything I can do to halt the growth of this stuff? It shows up around the end of June/first of July and sticks around until the first frost. It grows so fast, regardless of how hot it is or how dry it is. It needs to be cut about every four days or it gets out of control. It grows so thick. The stems are very tough and if you don't have very sharp blades, it doesn't cut good and leaves stragglers all over the yard. Any help identifying and eliminating this stuff is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Administrator
11,730 Posts
Crabgrass, wire grass, fall grass. Different people call it different names but think they are all the same. Pre-emergence in the spring helps. Little harder later on to kill it without killing the good grass.

I just leveled the top of mine. I like that it stays green when the summer heat browns out the other but that is all I like about it.

IMG_0602.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
We have an entire region here which I live in called the Wiregrass.

This is another of the reasons that I sharpen my blades often, sand being the primary reason. Can always tell when the blades need a touch up when I begin leaving the stragglers standing.

·
Registered
353 Posts
The first two pics look like Bahiagrass. It’s a native grass mostly found in the south. Very drought resistant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm in the northern middle portion of SC. Wiregrass seems to be more GA and FL, but it does bear a resemblance. It is also similar to Bahiagrass, but there is some actual Bahiagrass in the yard as well. The Bahiagrass grows taller and has black seeds. This doesn't grow as high, but grows close together, and the seeds are more greenish/yellowish. Not sure exactly what this is, maybe a relative of one or both. Reading about wiregrass in the links Flaken posted, it looks like I'm stuck with it. Yard is way too large to try some of the methods. I just hate the stuff, it grows way too fast and looks awful, not to mention hard to cut. It is all over the place, everyone has it in their yard for miles around.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Don't mess with off-the-shelf round up.

find a farmer who gets the real stuff Farmers have access to commercial Roundup as long as they have a chemical license.

At least that's the way it is in Ohio.

I would start by trying a strong mix of Roundup

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have considered trying Roundup or something similar on a portion of the yard. Nobody around here has grass, it is all weeds. It gets to a point where you just want to give up. You can't keep up with it. I can't get out and mow every four days. This grass has taken over in the last 10 years or so. It gets worse every year. I used to enjoy getting out and mowing the lawn, but every year for the past few years I hate it more and more. If the yard wasn't so large, maybe it wouldn't be as big of an issue.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Depends upon your definition of 'weeds'. Wiregrass, as it's name implies, is a type of grass. Sure, it's not as pretty or as prestigious as Bermuda or Kentucky Blue, but it does cover the ground. Besides, it's a grass that is native to your area and makes it much easier to grow.

My yard has about seven different species of grass from the previous owners various tastes. Everything from pasture fescue to wiregrass to centipede and it all grows at different rates, some even stays greenish and grows year round. I mow 12 months of the year.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess I have a very broad definition of weeds. We have a collection of different things as well, but it seems the wiregrass takes over mid-summer through mid-fall. I guess my point is that if I had something that looked better and didn't grow so fast I wouldn't consider everything such a chore. Frankly I could care less about the look, just wish I had something that didn't need to be cut so often. If I go over a week without mowing, the yard looks like a vacant lot. As I get older, it gets harder to keep up with it. But that is life.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Would a goat or something eat it for you?

I'm guessing it grows more because the good grass dies off in drought. So need to either use sprinkler or add fertiliser to help the good grass grow better to keep the bad grass out.

Cover it with a black/grey plastic sheet tarpaulin and it wont grow ;) Or if theres anyway you can shade the area, it won't grow as fast.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have thought about a goat or goats. The tarp wouldn't really work due to the size of the yard. I guess I could get multiple tarps and do it in sections. It is possible it is choking out the "good" grass. I'm going to look into some fertilizers or weed control products to see if anything might work. If I can find something that will at least knock back how fast it grows I would be happy.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Posting a couple of pics of a strand of the grass I am talking about. It is not Bahiagrass, and I don't think it is wiregrass based on some of the images I have looked at.

I cut the yard yesterday, some of the stems were 16" high. It had been 13 days since I had last cut. Ridiculous how fast this stuff grows.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Posting a couple of pics of a strand of the grass I am talking about. It is not Bahiagrass, and I don't think it is wiregrass based on some of the images I have looked at.

I cut the yard yesterday, some of the stems were 16" high. It had been 13 days since I had last cut. Ridiculous how fast this stuff grows.
Yep, wiregrass. Has three awns. That's the top part, the bottom is a weird looking almost vine that spreads out. That top part is rather hard to cut and lets me know I have to sharpen the blades some when the stragglers are left standing tall.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The reason I said I didn't think it was wiregrass was because this doesn't clump together at the bottom like what is shown in the pictures. The pictures I have seen makes it almost look a bush with all the stems packed together so close at the ground. What I have doesn't do that.

One thing similar to it I have seen is dallisgrass.

Bottom line is it doesn't matter what exactly it is, it is all over, has taken over, and I'm stuck with it. But trying to stay ahead of it to keep it from getting out of control makes mowing the lawn seem a chore. And when the temperature is 98 with a dewpoint of 76 and a heat index of 122, everything is a chore. I absolutely despise the summer.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Summer is great! I usually wait until the hottest part of the day, usually around 1:30 to 2:30 PM before starting to mow. These wonderful days are what I call the two-fers and the better ones, the three-fers. That's where I change all my clothes because they are dripping with perspiration. The sad part is these wonderful days are ending soon.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts