My Tractor Forum banner

What kind of Fuel are you running in a new tractor?

3K views 30 replies 17 participants last post by  TWG1572 
#1 ·
I am hearing I should run a no ethanol gas? Should I also run premium octane or 93. Also my mower may get run once a week is a fuel stabilizer product a good idea to add to gas? I will of course run it dry for winter storage.

#2 ·
If you can get your hands on non ethanol it is the way to go.....can't get it in a lot of areas..unless your manual says otherwise 89 octane is fine...run it out of fuel for winter is a great idea....that does not mean turn off the fuel valve and leave stuff in the tank...run the tank dry....use stabilizer in the last load of gas to run it out...it can't hurt....if your fuel is going to be around for more than 30 days use stabilizer...I like seafoam....it is a stabilizer and does enhance the way your engine runs...is this a brand new tractor...or just new to you?

#5 ·
I put a double dose of Stabil and a few ounces of Seafoam in each tank of fuel I buy.

Reactions: MARK (LI)
#6 ·
As was previously asked what brand of tractor/engine and have you referenced the manual?
We do not have non ethanol fuel so I use the plus grade. Every fuel can that gets filled here is topped off with the recommended amount of Sta-Bil and a small dose of Seafoam also.

I have a Kohler on my relatively new Cub and the dealer advised to change the engine break-in oil at 10 hours and per the manual every 100 hrs. thereafter. After the initial break-in oil change it gets changed every 50 hrs. (once a season for me) for no more oil that is required for an oil change plus the filter.

The manual also states to change the hydro break-in oil at 50 hrs. then every 200 hrs. thereafter; I changed the break-in oil @ 40 hrs.

Good luck.(y)

#7 ·
"I put a double dose of Stabil and a few ounces of Seafoam in each tank of fuel I buy."

Wow! I consider that a big waste of money, In about 40 years of running nothing but 10% ethanol which is all that is available here, in 8 engines running from 5 to a 60 year old AKN Wisconsin, engines 2 and 4 cycle, and what is in there at the end of season is what is there come spring, only time I ever had a problem was when I was coned into using some Stabil which turned out to be out of date. Luckily I only used it in 2 engines. I am always amazed at the stories I read here.
Walt Conner

#9 ·
There is another thread that has been running for about a week regarding non ethanol fuel...like you I am not able to get ethanol free gasoline....there must be different formulas in different areas....most people, including me, in the other thread reported problems with ethanol free gas unless precautions were taken...stabil, seafoam, ...something...only 2 guys...maybe 3 say as you do that they have not had problems with it....so if one take no precautions and has a problem...he has no one to blame but himself .....so to spend a few bucks in an effort to avoid problems is money well spent...if a problem arises...it is not from lack of trying...I do know that Stabil itself does not have a long shelf life...,,as Kubota Ronin said in that other thread...what ever works for you

#14 ·
I am not afraid to leave non-ethanol gas in a tank for a couple of months. I do use Sta-bil in every tank of gas I run in my tractors after having problems from treated ethanol gas. I feel the small cost is worth it to me.

We have a small, very vocal handfull of people on the forum who like to disregard others bad experiences with alcohol laden gas. Thats all fine and dandy but it doesnt lessen the fact that the majority of people on this forum have had problems with it.

I won't run ethanol gas in any of my OPE ever again after having destroyed fuel lines and the dreaded "white goo" plugging up carbs.

#17 ·
I can't get ethanol-free. From my understanding, there's no benefit, for 4-cycle small engines, to higher-octane gas (unless you live somewhere that premium is ethanol-free). They don't have knock sensors and variable ignition timing. So I get 87.

I use Stabil Marine currently, I add it to my gas can every time I fill it. I consider it cheap insurance. Gas may go in the generator and sit for a while, etc, even though I drain or run the carb dry, for equipment that will be put away for a while.

Amazon has 32oz Marine Stabil 360 for $20, it treats 320 gallons. At about $0.06/gallon of fuel treated, I don't mind, even if it didn't make a difference. Peace of mind for a few dollars a year has value to me. I haven't had new carb issues crop up since starting to use stabilizer. But I do try to run my carbs dry now at the end of the season, which should help.
https://www.amazon.com/STA-BIL-22240-Marine-Vapor-Technology/dp/B001CAW2DK

And agreed with changing the oil after 5-8 hours, then maybe at 50, then following the schedule. If your transmission is serviceable, I would change that oil (and filter) as well, my machine suggests that after the first 50 hours, then every 200.

Reactions: MARK (LI)
#18 ·
Today's oils don't need to be changed earlier than Deere is recommending.
Deere does have different recommendations for different engines.

It does also depend on the hours per year.

Many machines will need to be changed based on the calendar (annual change) rather than a change based on hours.

A change before storage (or at least late in the season) will get ride of chemical action from working on the 'inerds' during the off-season.

Of course, some are in use 12 months per year.

Last 'new' ag tractor I bought was a 7230R.
9.0L (549 cu in) 230HP eng.
Engine oil and filter change interval -- 500 hours.

I'm not suggesting that lawn and garden size will ever have intervals like ag sizes, and I'm certainly not suggesting going longer than the OM schedules, but as oils (and engine design) have improved so have recommended intervals. Before 500 hour intervals there were 250 intervals, Before than 100 hour intervals. Before that ???
Just suggesting there is no need to 2nd guess Deere's OM intervals (and don't ignore the 'or annually' part).
Perhaps give them 'extra service' by using Deere branded fluids instead of sourcing somewhere else.

(man, I'm startin' to sound like a fan-boy...)

#19 ·
There was some discussion about the Shelf Life of Sta-Bil. This is from their website.

#20 ·
A few years ago while attending a service update school we were told that Sta Bil forms a protective layer over the fuel. That is fine they said if the unit is NOT moved any movement of the fuel will break up the coating and allow oxygen to get to he fuel. Also was told to not use the red Sta Bil but to use the marine (blue) Sta Bil it is made for more moist areas. Have no idea if other products do the same. Have had some units present for repair and it appeared they had poured the whole container of Sta Bil in the tank. Yep still wouldn't start ! I use and recommend Sea Foam it cleans and stabilizes. Would much rather use NON ethanol gasoline though. It does not degrade as does the ethanol containing gasoline, Nothing in it to draw the moisture from the air. Have removed a lot of carburetor bowls full of jello or white powder and lots of corrosion. If a unit is to be stored for 30 days or more I recommend draining the complete fuel system. Be aware some fuel systems when run until it stops does not completely drain the carburetor as the jet intake is some distance above the bottom of the bowl. Again as for using high test or premium fuel, If the OM does not call for it you don't need it. What is high octain gasoline? and why is it available? High octain gasoline resists detonation and is used is high compression engines. Certainly not most air or liquid cooled engines used in lawn mowers and OPE. But that said some two strokes can be considered high compression. Again check your OM on what the manufacturer recommends. High test also contains the same ethanol as does regular, the biggest difference is the resistance to detonation and it may contain more additives and detergents. Why empty your pocket faster? If it resists detonation can it also resist starting?

#21 ·
A few years ago while attending a service update school we were told that Sta Bil forms a protective layer over the fuel. That is fine they said if the unit is NOT moved any movement of the fuel will break up the coating and allow oxygen to get to he fuel
This sounds wrong to me, as Stabil mixes with, and seems to stay mixed, in the fuel. For it to make a protective layer, it would need to separate from the fuel, and have a lower specific gravity than the fuel, to stay on top.

#22 ·
Agreed. Stabil is primarily made up of sacrificial molecules.They react with oxygen before the fuel molecules can. Once those sacrificial molecules are gone, your fuel is exposed. Stabil is not a product that sits on top of gas and creates a layer like oil on top of water (for example).

After 10 years of running ETOH free gasoline in my small engines, I switched over to E10 with Startron last fall. No complaints here after about a year of use.

#23 ·
Ethanol % in blends depends on the brand.

Here, the Shell stations have 0% ethanol in the premium blend.

#25 ·
I suspect it also depends on where you live. I've heard people in Canada say that their premium gas is ethanol-free. That's certainly not the case around here, in MA.

Regarding acids, etc, in the oil after putting a bunch of hours on your oil, does that cause measurable damage? I've heard that mentioned, but thankfully I haven't yet needed to dig into the crankcase on my engines. So if that has ever caused any harm, I've never noticed it. Just curious if it has a noticeable or significant effect. Or if it's a bit more theoretical.

I don't disagree that it's probably a good idea. And for giant, $$$$ equipment, I would sure want to take good care of it! But given how many lawn mowers, tractors, etc, have probably never had an oil change at all, and still survive, I wonder how significant it is.

#24 ·
Around here non ethanol fuel is easily found and yes its all i use in my small engines. 23y in my sears gt and haven't touched the carb or lines yet.

A youtube channel called "Taryl fixes all" is doing a experiment with fuel additives each mth with which one stops first and lasts longest. Wont give away which additive gave out first. And no thats not there real looks.

#26 ·
My experience with fuel is very different than most of what I read in forums. In my 52 years, I’ve never used a fuel stabilizer/preservative. I currently have 2 diesel tractors and 12 gas engines. I live in Connecticut and if I can, I run fuel out for winter, but if I don’t, it’s no big deal. I’ve never had a tank of fuel go bad. I’ve never had to rebuild or clean a carburetor after owning and using my equipment. I have had to rebuild and clean cards on used equipment when I purchase it, but once done, I never touch them again. I say that because I’ve only ever purchased three gas engines new (a pressure washer, a lawn mower and a chain saw). Everything else is used, including the tractors. The pressure washer that can go three or four years between uses and it starts with a couple of pulls with whatever was left in it. I’ve had some of this equipment over 20 years and it’s still going strong.

I understand the problems with ethanol and how it reacts with older seals and fuel lines and it’s moisture issues compared to non-ethanol fuel. That being said, I don’t concern myself with it. I put it in a 42 year old snow blower and never have a problem. I put it in an original 1960’s Briggs and never have a problem. I always use a fresh can of mixed fuel in my two strokes, but that’s as far as my fuel concerns go.

My father had the same experience with his equipment. He lived in 6 different states in the US with different climates (Mississippi, Tennessee, California, Pennsylvania, Michigan & Georgia) and never had a problem either. As an adult I’ve lived in three states/climates and some of my equipment has been with me in all of them.

I also know that almost all diesel and gas at the pump already has some amount of stabilizer, detergent or preservative in it. It varies by season, but some amount is already there.

I would never say you‘re wrong to use these products. I understand many people do have problems with fuel. But my personal experience says don’t put too much energy into this. It’s not as big a deal as a lot of people make it out to be.

#28 ·
You story is very similar to mine.

I would add that one of the reasons 'discounters' have cheaper fuel is that the often have less or no additives.

Name brands distinguish themselves by differences in their additive packages.

And yes, there is a difference in winter and summer fuel. Including the additives used to reduce evaporation.

#29 ·
I run "clear" premium in everything with a carb, I also start them up every 3 months or so, if not sooner. I've had issues with motorcycles and ethanol gas, even at less than 10%, it eventually will gum up the carbs, which is no fun when you have an engine with 4 synchronized carbs. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones its readily available here (Oregon). But its spendy, $4/gal. If I couldn't get clear gas I would just plan on starting the engine every month or so, but make sure the octane rating is correct for the engine in either case.

#31 ·
I can certainly understand getting confused. This is one of those topics that people get all frothy at the mouth at, kinda like what oil is best. The reality is that if you utilize good gas management practices like making sure storage containers are sealed, using whatever your preference is for stabilizer, and making sure your stored gas gets used in a reasonable amount of time - you are going to be just fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.