My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My front end loader moves slow. Do I have to use the jd hydoguard fluid? I heard of cleaning screen and changing filter. Has anyone run into this? Can I use a little lighter weight hydro fluid? Somthimg to look for?

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
Registered
333 Posts
JD uses HI GARD for hyd fluid. Are you low? Do you even know where to check it? Time to take it to the dealer or rather have them come get it.

·
22,338 Posts
Loader speed is governed by pump flow, which is governed in turn by engine rpm.

Restricted filters or screen can limit the flow. A fluid temperature that is low will cause the system to be sluggish for a few minutes after it goes to work, and a fluid temperature which is too high will cause the fluid to thin out to the point that it can't transmit power.

Hydraulic pumps have a positive displacement and at normal operating conditions will generally move a specific volume of fluid with each revolution, whether the fluid is high or low in viscosity.

JD sells oil and while the equipment is under warranty, it is best to use what they recommend. After warranty, I would look for an oil that is compatible, but at a more easy to swallow price. There are many hydraulic fluids that will handle the general conditions that your loader will be working with.

JD recommends Hygard fluid for the hydro in the JD 400 GT. MF recommends ATF Type A (Dexron) for the hydro in the MF1655 GT. Both hydros are identical Sundstrand Series 15 inline models and Sundstrand states that "most good quality hydraulic fluids are acceptable". Other tractor manufacturers spec motor oil and ATF Type F for the same hydro. Who do you believe?

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Back to your question of using lighter weight oil. If you are in a cold climate, you can use Lo-Viscosity HyGard. In the 650, there is no wet clutch or brakes, so fluid choice isn't as critical, but I would still be sure to get something that meets JD specs to be sure of getting high quality oil.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The machine is not in warranty. The fluid level is correct. I suppose I need to check for restrictions. What fluid is comprable to the jd?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just thought I had a plow that had a bad quick disconnect that went bad and caused a restriction. Us this common on the jd loaders? Has anyone seen this?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts