My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to start a thread for all of us Sears Nuts out there that have tons (or one or two etc) Sears brand tractors. What is your favorite one that you have, the story behid it, its nick name (if you have one), and :wwp:!

My favorite on is my 1974 SS16. I bought it for $75.00 from a guy that had two of them (I later bought the other one too) - It did not run, and needed some help. I swapped the points and coil, cleaned the carb a couple times, cleaned the old steel tank out, got tri ribs for the front, cast IH wheels weights, and cast Sears wheel weights, slapped my front plow and my mid mount grader on it, put a pan seat on it, and i have been working it hard lately! This thing will not quit! It pushes great, towed a JD110 up the road on a hill in third high, pops huge wheelies (without the plow on it of course) when i forget to be ginger on the clutch, stops great, and everything on it works!

What it looked like when i bought it VVV

The night i got it runningVVV

Took the rear 3 point hitch offVVV

Cast Iron Sears Wheel WeightsVVV

IH Cub wheel weights

Tri Rib Front tiresVVV

Towing my Ohio Steel CartVVV

Pulling the Brinley Dethatcher (notice the pan seat now too)VVV

Sitting pretty with the Sears 46" snowblade on itVVV

Pan SeatVVV

Working hard, smiling big with the Mid Mount grader and front Snowblade on itVVV

Towing my sweeperVVV

So thats my favorite tractor... Whats yours???

·
Finally at 1k!
1,518 Posts
Well, My favorite is my 1966 suburban 12. Its not running just yet but its REALLY HEAVY!
Its has a 42in deck with it. I got it about a week ago, I traded a running vanguard 16hp V twin for it. When I got it the deck wouldnt stay up because the pin that holds it up had sheared off. So, I shimed the shaft so what was left of the pin cought the plate.
here is the picture,

Ya, I am a *******. lol
Anyway, it was missing the reverse the thread bolt that hold one of the front wheels on, so I have my dad running around to find the right bolt. lol
The original seat rotted off some time ago so I put on of my pan seats on it. they are pritty comfortable.
here is the tractor when I got it,

And the awesome looking front end,

I hope to take it when I go on vacation next week, but I need to get it rewired so it has spark, if anyone can help me (hugh, your diagram helped me understand but it was very vauge)?

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
My favorite tractor is my 1974 SS/16 Twin.

Its my puller (pics will be posted soon in my SS/16 thread)

I have cleaned the carb (a lot), replaced the fuel line, added sears wheel weights on the outside of the rims, cub cadet wheel weights on the inside, and sears concrete wheel weights on the front wheels.

It mows beautifully, pushes dirt with unstoppable power, pulls anything and rides smoooooooth.

some pics....

see videos in the link in my signature :thThumbsU

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Deff. my 16/6.She still needs a few things,but will be very nice when done.I love the smooth running powerhouse under the hood :fing32:.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
if the tractors see this, they'd get juelos (sp?)

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts

·
Banned
2 Posts
i like all the older sears tractors they all worked well and where very dependable ..I had a 16 hp one myself and loved it ..I lent it to my uncle and he killed it ..Then it was placed in the barn which ended up falling on it ..It was a right off

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Small Fry, it's ok you can say they are ALL your favorites!! It's funny too cause you'd think getting the GT18 from my dad that it would be my fav, but the SS16 is so much smoother, and feels like it's got much more power!!

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, My favorite is my 1966 suburban 12. Its not running just yet but its REALLY HEAVY!
Its has a 42in deck with it. I got it about a week ago, I traded a running vanguard 16hp V twin for it. When I got it the deck wouldnt stay up because the pin that holds it up had sheared off. So, I shimed the shaft so what was left of the pin cought the plate.
here is the picture,

Ya, I am a *******. lol
Anyway, it was missing the reverse the thread bolt that hold one of the front wheels on, so I have my dad running around to find the right bolt. lol
The original seat rotted off some time ago so I put on of my pan seats on it. they are pritty comfortable.
here is the tractor when I got it,

And the awesome looking front end,

I hope to take it when I go on vacation next week, but I need to get it rewired so it has spark, if anyone can help me (hugh, your diagram helped me understand but it was very vauge)?
You might want to PM Earth too, he has one of those and may have some wiring help!

·
Registered
281 Posts
GT_80,

U really need to post more pics... and make them larger...

:sidelaugh

Up until this point, I have had only two tractors.. a 1999 Craftsman with a 46" cut and 17HP single... the hydro went south... then I got a 2004 GT5000 26HP twin 48" deck...

To say.... my GT5000 is by far my favorite (even with the smokie engine 3.5yrs later... in which B&S replace with a new one only after being very persistant of me not going away).

·
Registered
330 Posts
What is Your Favorite Sears Tractor?

The one that's running when I have work to do.

·
Tractor hoarder/collector
2,456 Posts
Man GT80 I agree with small fry...that is a VERY VERY hard question.....What task do you want done? I have a favorite for about every task....But mainly id say the yellow and white ones from 1973-1977(i got almost 1 of all of them made in them years!)...I mainly use my 1976 SS18, shes the one I keep in the best running shape(hehe i got like 32 of these things)...its my work horse, but my 66 Suburban 10(i think its a 66 id have to look again remember I got like 32 of these) is my yard mower, only because i dont wanna take the 26X12X12 tires off the 18 to get the deck back under it.... Yes I know I need to take pics to go with these tractors...hopefully when I go to the tractor show in Sept. Ill get some shots of them their....Im taking about 10 or so tractors cause their featuring SEARS lawn and garden tractors this year!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
my ss12 is the go to for plow work. dirt and snow the ss15 is the driveway fixer upper and trailer mover. the 10/6 is good for pulling the tiller, it sits the lowest so tills the deepest. and the ******** usually mows.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Mine would have to be my GT-18 Hydro. That little lever is nice:thThumbsU

1 - 20 of 25 Posts