My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help... First off... New to the tractor world. Bought an old 9n from guy next door... Ran last last summer and fall... Ok... Sat all winter... Been trying to get it going for two days and think I may have really messed something up... After continous tries I eventually ran the battery down... Tried jumping several times after that... Seemed to not turn over like it did last fall... Decided to try a new battery... New battery in starter barely turn it over... Then noticed the l shaped bracket on the solinoid where connecting to starter housing was smoldering and glowing hot???? I'm a total rookie and am wondering if I toasted the starter or if something bigger has happened internally in the engine not allowing it to crank... I need help.... Was getting spark but no fuel to the plugs... I had figured it wasn't cranking fast enough to draw fuel through manifold... Anyway... Thinking I need a new starter... Help appreciated...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
What would cause it?

Here's pic... It's the I did pull the coil and cap for an inspection... Could I have screwed something up reinstalling...

Pic won't load on my phone....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:MTF_wel2:

If 6v it is a positive ground..12v is a negative ground..What battery did you install??
Same that came in it...

Exide model?? 700 CA 12volt... Not at home to give more details...

What does negative ground refer to.. Assume im not grounded somehow on the negative terminal???

Again.. sorry for the ignorance... I have little electrical background...

·
Retired MTF Admin
26,564 Posts
Same that came in it...

Exide model?? 700 CA 12volt... Not at home to give more details...

What does negative ground refer to.. Assume im not grounded somehow on the negative terminal???

Again.. sorry for the ignorance... I have little electrical background...
These tractors came with 6v..The positive post is connected to the ground of the tractor..Opposite of todays 12v systems..

One way to tell if it was converted to 12v is it will have an alternator the same as todays autos..If 6v it will have a generator..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is a 12volt system has alterbator etc...

Here's pic of starter.. u can see burn't area on nut on left side of starter..

when i start cranking now the starter tunrs over a few times then stops and this thing heats up!! to the point of glowing if i stayed on it..

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
First of all; STOP CRANKING.

You need to step away and do more reading before you start wrenching. There is a fault in the system and no amount of turning the key/pushing the button is going to magic it into proper function.

Get the wiring diagram for the tractor, including the 12v conversion and trace wires. That's step 1. Then you can check grounds, look for frayed wires or cracked insulation, corroded contacts, etc etc etc.

Once you've got a good head about the condition of your system then you should read about what other people have done with symptoms like you are having.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
First of all; STOP CRANKING.

You need to step away and do more reading before you start wrenching. There is a fault in the system and no amount of turning the key/pushing the button is going to magic it into proper function.

Get the wiring diagram for the tractor, including the 12v conversion and trace wires. That's step 1. Then you can check grounds, look for frayed wires or cracked insulation, corroded contacts, etc etc etc.

Once you've got a good head about the condition of your system then you should read about what other people have done with symptoms like you are having.
Trust me i did stop cranking.. after i realized what was going on... printed off a couple of diagrams will go from there.. Like i said i assumed just a weak battery before i figured out whatwhat was happening at the starter...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Progress made... Was indeed a bad starter... Ran through all electrical and nothing seemed wrong or in bad shape... Tried using cables to direct wire from battery to starter and grounded via beg cable from terminal to block... Got same result... Starter barely turned and heated up instantly... Ran to tsc and over paid for a new one... Installed and turns over now... seems like a genric Chinese motor labled for use on 9 2 an 8 n's from 39 to 50 something... Anybody know if there decent... Anyway back to square one... She turns but not starting... A couple times a cylinder fired but that's been it... Ran outta light.. resume tomorrow.... Also been upper 40's low 50's.... Could cold damp weather be causing me issues????

1 - 12 of 12 Posts