My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
-
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picking tomatoes last night and saw this huge sucker on it's web. I've not seen anything this big before in the garden. Only big gray and black suckers with knuckles that you can hear running through the leaves. They hide under things and are skittish though - they run away immediately, and are really fast. This one didn't care that I was poking it with the tape measure...

It's about 1.5" from head to end of abdomen, see photos (sorry about the focus, cell phone camera in low light). Looks like a big chrysalis or egg sack not too far from it about the size of a peach pit (didn't get photos of that).

I got some pics with the real camera I'll try to remember to post up.

Creepy looking sucker.

·
the "AWOL member"
4,954 Posts
It's a banana spider,they used to be pretty common around here but don't see them near as much anymore.I've always tried not to disturb them as they are pretty and interesting to watch.

·
Premium Member
5,689 Posts
I've always heard them called Garden spiders, but do not know if that's acurate. They always crop up around this time of year.

·
-
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We have what I've grown up knowing as garden spiders but they're always tan and black. Usually smaller than this guy and not the bright colors.

I leave them alone as they eat the pests in my garden. Just shocked me to see it out of the corner of my eye, and for it to be so big.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I've always heard them called Garden spiders, but do not know if that's acurate. They always crop up around this time of year.
I'd agree that "Garden Spider" is the more common term.

They are common around here. They have don't have a harmful bite but they certainly are creepy.

That's a female you have there. Like many spiders the male is very small by comparison.

·
the "AWOL member"
4,954 Posts
Looks like what is referred to as a banana spider around here is actually a garden spider as you guys have pointed out, I stand corrected.:fing32:
Here's some info I found pretty interesting.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argiope_aurantia

·
-
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's it to a T. Including the brown egg sac nearby.

I've lived in Oregon my whole life and never seen one of these. Pretty cool.

·
Premium Member
9,659 Posts
Throw a grasshopper into the web and see what happens. It's worth the price of admission.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,547 Posts
I've seen quite a few of those in my yard,I've always known them to be "garden spiders"...the one pictured here is about half the size of the "wolf" or "wood" spiders I've posted about that have been creeping me out in my garage,sheds and outside in the firewood pile!..:eek:..I HATE spiders,especially BIG ones!..but the yellow/black ones dont bother me as much as the others,that look a lot like tarantulas!..

·
Retired - Veteran Mod
6,791 Posts
I call 'em banana spiders, too.

I've got about a half-dozen of 'em in webs around the front porch. As long as they stay away from the doors... I let 'em be... trying to keep the insect population down.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I've heard people call them cornfield spiders around here as they are frequently seen in the corn fields.

·
-
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice spider pic, I'll have to drag out my big camera and get a macro shot of my visitor.

Cool mantis, I like those, sorta pre-historic looking and also most welcome in my garden.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
When I was a kid, the neighbor across the road was messin' around with one and she bit him on his arm when she jumped on him , inflicted an incredibly nasty wound !!! It must have gotten infected or something? as he had to have surgery to remove the rotting flesh about the size of a golf ball on his arm about a month later.And to her defense ,she had no less than 5 witnesses that saw the entire incident take place ;)

·
Premium Member
9,603 Posts

·
15,000 +posts!
20,547 Posts
I've read ALL spiders are venomous,to some degree...also read that the Daddy Longlegs has some of the most toxic venom,but lacks sharp enough teeth to penetrate human skin...that creeps me out,since I see plenty of those in my basement bedroom and garage under the house...its not farfetched that a garden spider has venom enough to cause tissue damage,or an allergic reaction to some people...

The Brown Recluse is a bad one to get bitten by--Crystal Gayle nearly died some years ago,after she was bitten by one,and it took her doctors quite awhile to determine it was a spider bite that sickened her!...Black Widows aren't the only ones to avoid!..

·
-
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK, I snapped some photos of the monster:

Also saw this little guy on the way in the house:

·
Registered
473 Posts
Thats what is properly known as the Golden Orb spider, one of many species of orb weavers. Its also known as the yellow garden spider and banana spider. Its pretty common in the US. I've seen them make webs 6' + across. Pretty neat when you consider most of the spiders take down their webs every night and build a new one for the next day. They are not real agressive, and their venom is not generally toxic to humans.

·
the "AWOL member"
4,954 Posts
Great camera work PigBear!:thThumbsU

1 - 20 of 30 Posts