My Tractor Forum banner

What is this? Sorry I'm not very informed on large tractors

2175 Views 27 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  Old&Rusty
Found in the woods on a farm here in Pgh. PA. We are going to be dismantling this machine in the near spring if anyone want or needs parts cheap. Can anyone identify this for me, so I can advertise to the right crowd?

Plant Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire

Motor vehicle Gas Automotive exterior Auto part Car

Thanks for any info...

ERIC
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
I believe it looks like a farmall. Possibly a model m.
Reactions: leo from ohio
Thanks for your reply, but I can not find any machine that has such a weird body like this one. In the center of the
main picture is the fuel tank, covered by body work. The side of this body work, meet the top, with a concave panel. This is a easy away to single its identity out.

ERIC
I believe it looks like a farmall. Possibly a model m.
Look at the farmall m. The machine in the picture is missing a bit but I believe thats whats left resembles a farmall
Wheel Tire Vehicle Tractor Automotive tire
This is an M...it's not this
I’m not an expert on them, but I don’t think the grill and framework on the sides looks like an M.
It's definitely not a M. My neighbor had a few of them. The pic above is the M - Diesel, (MD). I thought it might be a real early Farmall, maybe one in the F series. I'm looking at pics now of the F series and will report back.
I just looked at the F12, F20 & F30. It's not one of those either. What he said ^ about the grill doesn't match the M. Also, I don't remember seeing any Farmall's with the distributor mounted in the center of the head like that. Now I'm really curious as to what brand of tractor it is. Case, AC, MF, or other ????
The strange curve to the body over the fuel tank, (center of the picture) should be an easy way to identify this machine, to anyone who is familiar with it... Also as noted, the frame. BTW that frame is a casting. Heavier that [email protected]
Reactions: Vigo
Thinking that it is an older Massey notice the fluted edge from the tank to the front grill:

Sky Tire Wheel Vehicle Tractor
While this form is great....

Thanks everyone...... This machine has got to be it.. That's body is it!!!
The intake is not the same but I'm guessing maybe just a model year difference or so...

Thanks again to this form.....and everyone who helped out...

ERIC
Reactions: Vigo and MARK (LI)
Not to be a know-it-all..... but it is a Massey Harris 101 Junior. Engine is a Continental 124. A 44 would have an overhead valve engine, be half again as big, and came later. The 101 Junior is rare little tractor compared to other manufacturer's comparable sized tractors of its time. I don't know that it is all that valuable. Definitely different though.
While this form is great....

Thanks everyone...... This machine has got to be it.. That's body is it!!!
The intake is not the same but I'm guessing maybe just a model year difference or so...

Thanks again to this form.....and everyone who helped out...

ERIC
So here's some data from Tractordata.com on it and a few pictures are on the site too:

TractorData.com Massey-Harris 101 Junior tractor information
What a shame that exhaust is open to rain. Since it is a flat head, there is a slight chance that water intrusion dropped into the oil pan not into cylinders. But years of rain water likely filled the oil pan and block. Water sits below the oil and if it got deep enough, enters the oil passages and oil pump pushing the oil ever upward in all oil spaces. I would assume you get winter freezing temps in Pittsburgh so I'd guess the chances of a non cracked block are pretty slim. :cry:
Reactions: PA318Guy
I saw that too. And the radiator cap missing so that could fill with enough water and freeze that way as well. Hopefully we’re wrong and the block is good, but doubtful.
Reactions: Alien5044
Massey Ferguson?
Found in the woods on a farm here in Pgh. PA. We are going to be dismantling this machine in the near spring if anyone want or needs parts cheap. Can anyone identify this for me, so I can advertise to the right crowd?

View attachment 2580805

View attachment 2580806

Thanks for any info...

ERIC
Please explain how the water would get to the oil pan, the manifold connects to the block which carry the exhaust from the cylinder, The only way possible would be thru thru valve guides, but more likely has filled the cylinder bores.
What a shame that exhaust is open to rain. Since it is a flat head, there is a slight chance that water intrusion dropped into the oil pan not into cylinders. But years of rain water likely filled the oil pan and block. Water sits below the oil and if it got deep enough, enters the oil passages and oil pump pushing the oil ever upward in all oil spaces. I would assume you get winter freezing temps in Pittsburgh so I'd guess the chances of a non cracked block are pretty slim. :cry:
Cylinder’s don’t always hold water. Usually, for a while, yes. But rings have ring gaps and it is possiblefor water to drain past a piston. Neat tractor, never heard of it!
Reactions: PA318Guy
1 - 20 of 28 Posts