My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all... its me again haha.

I think this is the only knob i do not understand what it does...

I have a Ford 4500 3cyl diesel TLB and the loader is a 535 if i am not mistaken, anyway near the lift and tilt of the front loader there is a knob that is a valve you can pull out. I tried pulling it out and it does not seem to change anything, can anybody explain this knob for me, i can take pictures if necessary

thanks, Kenny

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
Don't run to the bank with this, but that knob may control the self-leveling feature on the loader bucket. When activated, the return oil from one of the lift cylinders is directed to the tilt cylinders, keeping the bucket level as the loader arms are raised.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't run to the bank with this, but that knob may control the self-leveling feature on the loader bucket. When activated, the return oil from one of the lift cylinders is directed to the tilt cylinders, keeping the bucket level as the loader arms are raised.
you could be right... i was trying to test this but could not figure it out... i did take a picture though

http://i376.photobucket.com/albums/...500 TLB - tractor loader backhoe/DSC05717.jpg

I proved that it does not lock the swing of the rear HOE part of the machine

thanks all... I just want to know what this does

kenny

·
Registered
154 Posts
That is your self leveling knob as aready described above.

·
Not a restorer
160 Posts
The only loader that fits a 4500 is a 740, IIRC. The loader frame is part of the basic tractor package, so putting a 735 on would be a huge waste of time on someone's part - could happen if there were enough junkyard bits and inclination to do that, but very unlikely .vs. having a 740. I guess you actaully said 535 - still, not likley (I don't know if there even is a 535 loader, but if there is, it ain't likely to be on a 4500.) Likewise, a 740 doesn't fit other tractors, either, IIRC. Be happy - the 740 is a beast - break out 6000 lbs, lift 3000 to full height.

The knob (unless borrowed by goofballs as one of mine was for some unrelated purpose) is for the self-leveling feature on the bucket. Should be lines with check valves and what-not connected to it. Yup, looks stock in your picture, and that's a 740 loader or I'll eat my hat... though the cut-off-welded-on stubs are a delightful addition that was not stock...

·
Registered
154 Posts
Yep the 740 loader with it's large 2" diameter lift cyl's one of the largest on any loader back in the day was a monster awesome lift capacity and at only 1800psi working pressure,shim the relief valve and she'll be unstoppable.

·
Not a restorer
160 Posts
shim the relief valve and she'll be unstoppable.
If you opt to shim the relief valve, keep your welder handy. Not so much unstoppable as breakable. The hoses and cylinders will probably take more pressure, but the frame is far from overbuilt for the rated loads. If anything I'd consider taking the relief pressure down just a shade from stock - it's a heck of a lot faster to move two loads than it is to weld the 40 year old loader frame back into one piece. YMMV.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks all, I proved this was the self levling feature, not sure when and if i will ever use it but it does work as i threw some people in the loader and i tried with and with out the knob, it only self levels on the way up

I am looking at the various filters for this thing and from what i hear and read the ford motorcraft FL1A is a great replacement for the tranny and engine oil filters but i need to still the the hydrolic filter and fuel filter and im having a heck of a time finding cross references to thouse - ill start a new post i think

Youi guys really are the best - thank you

"though the cut-off-welded-on stubs are a delightful addition that was not stock... "
You mean the things that look like it was going to be part of a canapy?

kenny

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
If you opt to shim the relief valve, keep your welder handy. Not so much unstoppable as breakable. The hoses and cylinders will probably take more pressure, but the frame is far from overbuilt for the rated loads. If anything I'd consider taking the relief pressure down just a shade from stock - it's a heck of a lot faster to move two loads than it is to weld the 40 year old loader frame back into one piece. YMMV.
That's excellent advice IMO.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have no intentions of shimming anything, I cant even scoop up more then 1/4 of a load as i am not too good yet

I started another thread on ford 4500 filters, hopefully we can all come together and give cross references to the ford #'s

thanks all

kenny

1 - 17 of 17 Posts