My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
I've got one. It's actually fairly common. It's a cultivator frame and leveling blade. The cultivator framework would have a series of tines inserted and used for cultivating/wedding the garden. The blade used for re-leveling the soil. Also could cover seed. At least so I was told. Never done it though!

·
Premium Member
3,028 Posts
I agree with Bodjick.

Many, many years ago there were hundreds, if not thousands of 'truck farms' up and down the East Coast feeding all the big cities. This was back in the thirties and forties. Gravely made a great little tractor for small truck farm farmers. And they came up with many attachments for farmers working one to five acres.

Exactly what crops were they designed for? I would guess that potatoes were a main item. What would you guess the other main fresh crops needed in the big cities such as Manhatten, Philadelphia,Baltimore, Washington, etc...?

Roger,

·
Registered
165 Posts
Pretty sure that was officially called a Tool Holder attachment.
Yamoto is correct; the central cast piece is a front toolholder. There were several cultivator pieces that could be mounted on it. The gauge wheels were also commonly mounted, and work surprisingly well to create a consistent depth of work. The blade is used for grading soil, and when used in conjunction with the wheels allows the user to create a nice finish grade. If you have operated a real grader, this is crude. But it beats a hand rake over large areas.

Tom

1 - 6 of 6 Posts