My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sears Canada went belly-up some time ago but living near the border, I had Sears USA to go to for my OEM parts needs. Now I see the nearest Sears outlet is closing. Is this nation-wide or just local?

·
Senior Moment
3,215 Posts

·
15,000 +posts!
19,699 Posts
LOL!..now I need another cup of coffee and wipe off my monitor and keyboard..!..

Sears closed up in the town next to mine back around April,and the entire mall it was in has been sold,the few remaining stores in the mall are struggling to survive..

Lowe's has bought out the Craftsman tool line and is now selling Craftsman pressure washers and tractors--but I don't know if they will get involved selling parts for any older tractors sold by Sears or not...most likely not,as Sears Parts Direct still exists,lame as it is as far as them having any parts available..Rumors exist saying Sears will "rise from the dead" but I don't see it happening..

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Sears is gone in Canada. I miss them although sourcing parts could be very frustrating. Lowe's has Craftsman lawn and garden equipment but they don't sell parts so it is the local dealer or online. There is a Husqvarna dealer 25 miles south of me and another 15 miles north but neither of them are very helpful.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
My friend needed a non stock part. Husqvarna dealer told him that he wouldn't be doing another order until he reached the $500 level he needed. (for free shipping or discount?)

·
Registered
881 Posts
This is something I was literally just discussing with my Dad. Talking about Sears and how if you told my late grandfather that Sears and Roebuck was going out of business he'd think you were crazy.

The last I heard the current number of regular Sears stores is down in the 200s from around 400ish at the beginning of the year. I live in metro Pittsburgh which is a relatively large area and as of around 2017 or so, we had around 7 or 8 Sears stores, plus a Sears Grand, and several Sears Appliance Centers. Now there are none. I think there may be some Sears Outlet stores.

Sears sold off the Craftsman brand to Stanley Black & Decker and the quality of the hand tools is just not what it was 10 or 15 years ago. A lot of the tools have completely changed design including the ratchets and sockets. So yeah you can buy and exchange you Craftsman tools at Lowe's or Ace Hardware, but what you get likely won't be as good of quality as your old one. Blame Eddie Lampert.

·
Premium Member
7,986 Posts
I almost always buy parts online, but since when does Lowe's not sell parts? I haven't paid attention in a while, but I remember seeing a big sign near a service desk in the equipment area of the store claiming they could get any part for any machine???

Ace was carrying Craftsman around here for many years before the Lowe's deal started.

I will agree that tool quality has gone out the window, but that started more like 15-20 years ago. I started noticing then that replacement tools (screwdrivers, sockets, ratchets) were all redesigned to use less material than the ones I was replacing (which I'd bought around 30 years ago). The ones my dad has from 40+ years ago were even stronger than mine.

While some of Lampert's actions should probably land him in jail (morally if not technically legally), the tool quality problem existed long before he arrived to dismantle the company and line his own pockets...

Mike

·
Collector of many tractors
15,248 Posts
Sears is gone in Pa... I would not shop there if one came back.
I never seen a store go down hill so bad in my lifetime.
At one time it was my go to store.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
mikeinri our local Lowe's will not order parts, they refer customers to the local l&g shop who is hard to deal with

·
Registered
881 Posts
I will agree that tool quality has gone out the window, but that started more like 15-20 years ago. I started noticing then that replacement tools (screwdrivers, sockets, ratchets) were all redesigned to use less material than the ones I was replacing (which I'd bought around 30 years ago). The ones my dad has from 40+ years ago were even stronger than mine.

While some of Lampert's actions should probably land him in jail (morally if not technically legally), the tool quality problem existed long before he arrived to dismantle the company and line his own pockets...

Mike
I guess maybe it has been longer than I realized. Most of my Craftsman stuff is late 70s, early 80s vintage, but I have some newer stuff as well. I too noticed the replacement tools were worse than the broken ones I was exchanging.

Lampert is just a despicable person period, regardless of whether he had a negative impact on the Craftsman brand or not.

Sears is gone in Pa... I would not shop there if one came back.
I never seen a store go down hill so bad in my lifetime.
At on time it was my go to store.
I'm in SW PA and I agree it was really bad towards the end. The stores themselves were run down and outdated, the shelves would be half empty and rummaged through and the customer service was just awful. I swear it took 10 minutes to check out one item even if you were paying cash and there was no one else in line. Then you would get a 5 foot long paper receipt for the one thing you bought. It was akin to pulling teeth to have to swap out a broken socket.

·
Premium Member
7,986 Posts
mikeinri our local Lowe's will not order parts, they refer customers to the local l&g shop who is hard to deal with
Obviously, I haven't been paying attention. Then again, why would anyone drive to Lowe's to order a part, when you can do that from home and shop for the best prices?

Of course, there's the real problem, isn't it? Box stores don't take care of you, but their pricing kills the small guys who might.

Mike

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Obviously, I haven't been paying attention. Then again, why would anyone drive to Lowe's to order a part, when you can do that from home and shop for the best prices?

Of course, there's the real problem, isn't it? Box stores don't take care of you, but their pricing kills the small guys who might.

Mike
I don't think Lowe's in Canada sell parts but they might in USA. Dealers in Canada struggle against box stores for equipment sales but when you need warranty work you are sol with the big box. I recall a fellow needed warranty on a unit from our canadian tire. Was told to haul miles away. He went to a local dealer who pointed out that they did service too. He traded in the non working ctc unit.

·
Registered
163 Posts
The future of Sears is still very much in doubt. Lampert was able to make a deal to save the company for a while, but they're still in deep trouble.

Sears sold off the Craftsman brand to Stanley Black & Decker and the quality of the hand tools is just not what it was 10 or 15 years ago. A lot of the tools have completely changed design including the ratchets and sockets. So yeah you can buy and exchange you Craftsman tools at Lowe's or Ace Hardware, but what you get likely won't be as good of quality as your old one. Blame Eddie Lampert.
Sears started outsourcing Craftsman tools to China several years ago. That's when the quality took a turn for the worse.

While the current poor quality of the Craftsman hand tools appeals to the Harbor Freight fans, but that won't last much longer. Stanley has broken ground on a new state-of-the-art manufacturing plant in Fort Worth which should be up and running in 2020.

For the folks that love their cheap made in china garbage, sorry. Most Craftsman mechanics tools will soon be Made in the USA again by an American company employing American citizens. You'll have to find another way to support Chinese workers.

https://www.stanleyblackanddecker.com/article/stanley-black-decker-announces-opening-new-craftsman-plant-fort-worth-texas

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
The future of Sears is still very much in doubt. Lampert was able to make a deal to save the company for a while, but they're still in deep trouble.

Sears started outsourcing Craftsman tools to China several years ago. That's when the quality took a turn for the worse.

While the current poor quality of the Craftsman hand tools appeals to the Harbor Freight fans, but that won't last much longer. Stanley has broken ground on a new state-of-the-art manufacturing plant in Fort Worth which should be up and running in 2020.

For the folks that love their cheap made in china garbage, sorry. Most Craftsman mechanics tools will soon be Made in the USA again by an American company employing American citizens. You'll have to find another way to support Chinese workers.

https://www.stanleyblackanddecker.com/article/stanley-black-decker-announces-opening-new-craftsman-plant-fort-worth-texas
I will believe this when I see it. Since the announcement that Stanly Black and Decker was buying Craftsman they said they were going to build a multi-million dollar plant in the US and bring production back here.
I HOPE SO!!!

The last time Craftsman were any good was when Danaher was making them --IN THE USA--- They sent production to China around 10 years ago.
The quality fell drastically and even the fit and finish was terrible. The plating and polish on the sockets was worse than Harbor Freight.

Currently most any tool you find made in Taiwan will be much better than one made in China.
Stanley has ratchets made in both countries but ALL of them are higher quality and better fit and finish than Craftsman for almost 10 years now.

I will be one of the first to flock back to Craftsman when they build sockets and ratchets here. I really could care less where the power tools are made. You can get good or bad ones from any country.
As long as Craftsman keeps a hassle free lifetime warranty and makes them in US I will be back to them.
Until then, or if ANY warranty hassles...I will stay with Stanley or Kobalt or Husky.
Kobalt and Husky are the same distance to me that Sears was and NEVER any hassle replacing a broken socket or ratchet.
Just today I noticed 9/16 USA made Craftsman 1/2 inch drive socket was cracked.
I have used a 2 foot breaker bar on it several times but never an impact. I don't even want to warranty it with the jankey Craftsman available now.

I will wait.

I'm not certain I like Craftsman being at multiple stores.
I think Stanley Black and Decker should open "outlet stores" again like they did with Dewalt years ago...Service center I think they were.
At that time...the time was wrong.
Now they have so many products they own and produce that they could have an entire store with just their brands. Make it a service center to warranty stuff.
I guess the multiple stores like Ace and Lowe's etc all selling Craftsman could be more convenient IF and ONLY IF there is NO HASSLE in warranty claims.
The ONLY WAY I will buy your hand tools is if every time I walk in with a busted one (regardless or way or condition) you hand me a new one.
NO receipt, no ID's (this is a problem at Lowe's...not a deal breaker but NOT what the package says) and no hassle.

I can go to O'reilly Auto Parts or Autozone and get their housebrand to with lifetime no questions asked warranty. No matter who makes them for them this week or next. They hand me a new one.
Duralast are pretty nice fit and finish, much better than Craftsman.
I am not a tool snob like all the professional mechanics with Mac and Snap on. Sorry, no $110 3/8 ratchets for me!
I am about price for very good quality, I don't need "the best".
I have Craftsmans rangind from 29 down to 15 years old than have served me well over the years.
I would be willing to spend a little more for Craftsman if US made, nice fit and finish as I call it, and easy warranty like others.
If not I will stick with Kobalt. They are the nicest at a slightly higher price than Husky but I have lots of Husky too.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How did this thread get derailed? I've not bought Craftsman hand tools in decades. I'm more concerned about the OPE I own. I doubt I will buy OPE from CTC after the terrible support I got with my pressure washer.

·
Premium Member
7,986 Posts
Derailed? From the subject, it sounded like you were asking a pretty general question. And, there is no shortage of ways that Sears has been run into the ground.

I'm with you, though. I'll really miss the Parts Direct site with the library of IPLs if they do go under.

Mike

·
Registered
767 Posts
This investment capital scheme developed in the 1970s and is just a bleeding of firms with a large asset base. IC firms get their pay day up front when the subject firm is loaded down with debt. Sad to see that there are more of these tear down for the quick buck people, than those who want to build a sustainable business over time.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Derailed? From the subject, it sounded like you were asking a pretty general question.
Maybe is had a general overtone, but I did mention "I had Sears USA to go to for my OEM parts needs". I don't consider craftsman hand tool quality to fit into that category. I do however agree that degradation of quality probably led to their demise.

While I later mentioned OPE, I also relied on Sears Canada for other replacement parts for things like appliances etc., that were purchased at Sears.

1 - 20 of 126 Posts