My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Certainly not the Dura Force; for me at least. But, for me, the good ol' C engines. I got a free 5200 that sat in a shed for years and it fired right up!

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
I have a few d series models that will start 1 or 2 pulls and i got a duraforce that if you put it on choke (you dont even have to hit the primer) it will start one pull every time even when cold.

My vote though is the f series engine

·
2- Stroke Lawnboy Fan!!!
559 Posts
my 7260G and my 7050 start in 1-2 pulls. my 22261, thats a different story...

·
Banned
864 Posts
d-409lawn-boy

·
collector of the old
380 Posts
Just about any older early 80's and back with a clean carb, air filter, and some good gas

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
All my lawnboys had sat from last Thanksgiving until this spring with dry tanks. The Dura Force started in 2 pulls. All 8 of the others (that were ready to run at that time) started with 1 or 2 pulls except the L21ZPNC and it took 3 pulls. All these were F's.

·
Castor Freak
2,167 Posts
My brick is a one pull starter at the moment, and my duraforce never fails to start and run on the first pull either. I'd go for the D-400 though, never had one fail to run for me.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Mine starts on the first pull. I think it is an F engine. The other 8480 I gave the neighbor does also.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
They all have their weak points. I'd say the non-compliant f machines if I had to chose one.

-Dave

·
Junk Whisperer
287 Posts
I have an 89 S21ESN, well, the deck, handle and wheels anyway. 92 engine with low hours, new starter, battery, transmission. Added a pull start, on/off toggle switch, bottom oil seal, and spiked the wheels with drywall screws:D.
The muffler is rotten so it sounds like a rough idling snowmobile. Starts almost instantly with the key, and always with one pull of the rope. It's my ditch mower- I have about 300 feet of steep ditches, and it literally DRAGS me along behind it! Ugly, sounds awful, best machine I've ever owned!:bannana:

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,074 Posts
"Anyone have a mower that starts on 1/2 a pull?"

Mine starts when I look at it.

"The one that was maintained properly."

Great answer.

Walt Conner

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
Only owned 2 DF's and the 1 D-400 brick. I had more trouble starting the DF's than the prime and pull 1 time D.
Also had the coil go bad on the 10323, but baked it and ran fine afterwards.

MU

·
Registered
373 Posts
I never had hardly a lick of trouble with a D-400. Only once in a while the advance cam doesn't slide decent, and they'll sputter and backfire till it finally slides free to advance the spark. Other than that, I'd say they were the most reliable. No CDI packs to fail, and very good carburetors.

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
I'd have to say that the E engines get a thumbs down - due to the super-weak coils. Never had any of the old points-ignition types, but I've also never had a problem with my F engines. They may leak a little, but they always fire up if they've got a clean carb. Props to the one pull fools!

·
Old engine addict
292 Posts
The old points ignition systems were rock solid. Once in a while you might get a condenser failure, but it's no more common than a CDI pack going bad.

Duraforce engines are nice and powerful, but I've seen so many that are blown up, surge, leak or have bad coils that I'll have to agree that they are FAR from reliable. But then again, they were designed by the same geniuses who designed the V........

·
Registered
2 Posts
My dad bought a 1967 Lawn Boy. The on/off switch broke years ago. The handle had to be shortened and new holes drilled several tiimes. I shut it off by shutting off the gas. It was a great trim mower. Yellow in color and always ran. Pushed easy. I sold it at a garage sale last year. I had bought a new shelf propelled one the year before. My brother and dad have the same model. Great push mowers.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts