My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
they look alike...they both have hydraulics right?..so what is the difference??...which is better??...they look the same to me..??

·
Premium Member
5,415 Posts
Well...they do look similar but the similarities end there. A 318 is H2 hydraulics and a 400 is H3. The 318 has a 18HP Onan and the 400 has a 20HP Kohler. They both have power steering, however, the 400 is more of a power assist. The 318 shares attachments with all the 300 series tractors so it is much easier to find what you are looking for attachment wise. I'm sure someone else will chime in too. I don't think you'll be displeased with either tractor though. And be sure to post pictures :fing32:

·
Super Moderator
32,625 Posts
To add to k91's statement, the 400 had it's own unique mounting system. No attachments from any other tractor "bolt up" to the 400. There are some aftermarket vendors that make some adapters to allow the 400 to use various attachments though! Obviously I own a 318 and think the world of it, but I've had the pleasure to work a 400 for a little while and I will tell you that it is a beast! You can't go wrong with either if they are in good shape! Obviously the attachments are an issue with the 400 as k91 stated!

·
MTF Junior Poster Esq.
7,644 Posts
400 had a 60" deck option that most had, the 318 was limited to 50" I believe.

The height, length, weight, width, tire size of the 400 was quite a bit bigger..driving them around your yard feels like driving a truck compared to the 318..though they turn pretty sharp.

The 60" deck has an integral discharge chute. That deck is around 6 feet wide when you go to park it in the garage or load it on the trailer.
400 has a high & low range hydro, and a manual PTO compared to the 318's electric, plus the 400 has a shaft driven mowing deck, and a front PTO splined connection for some front mount equipment.

They really AREN't very similar, and side by side, only the styling looks similar.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so what are the differences in the hydraulics...??..what is h2 and h3?...so it seems like you guys are saying the 400 is more powerful maybe...but is more unique and difficult to get parts for??..which is more valuble?..are the abuot the same price in good condition used?

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
H2 means two hydraulic circuits (aside from the power steering), and H3 means 3.
On an H2 JD 300, one lever controls the rockshaft (3PH plus deck lift) and the left front hydraulic outlets. The other lever controls the right frotn outlets and features a float feature. The H3 systems pput the rockshaft and deck lift on their own circuit.

The 400, being heavier, 2 more Hp, and having a locking two speed rear end will outpull a 300 series.

Honestly, I haven't seen a boatload of 400s up for sale, but the asking prices are typically more than a 318 anyway.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
A 400 is very cool as they are MASSIVE, but are also kind of an odd bird. As has been said, they are unique and nothing swaps with anything else. Nothing fits. The steering is not as good as the later tractors. And the Kohler engine is rare. Heck, the whole tractor is rare.

To me, any of those "mid-70's" JD's are undesirable. Not that they are bad, just that the next generation had lots of upgrades and can be found a good price. I have no love for the 300, 312, 314, 316 (single cyl), 317, or 400.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok..I went this evening a purchased a jd 400 for $500 bucks.....(before seeing the last post!) it was **** to get in the back of my dodge truck...I have a winch...but it was straining...the mower deck is 60" (had to remove the deck to haul it)....the tractor is not in running condition...I was told it just needs a starter..but you never know until you try it!....the engine says..K 295...I guess it is a kohler but I am not sure what horsepower..its a huge tractor..its rough..but the metal looks nice..engine at least isnt seized..seat is wiped out....is $500 fair??...

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
I woudl have tried to start it with a jump box, but you never know. You can part it out and get your $500 back worst case.

·
Small Engine Mechanic
55 Posts
400s Are Better Engine & Build Wise

318 Is Better Attachment Wise

·
Super Moderator
32,625 Posts
eric, now that you have it pictures of whatever you want us to comment on would be great! You can look on eBay for starters for it. The chinese ones are about $65.00, not sure how good they are though! I think $500 is great if the starter is the major issue! If you're thinking of keeping it, I would plan to change all fluids, and check the rubber hoses and be prepared to replace them all!

·
Premium Member
5,415 Posts
You can't go wrong for $500 :fing32: Even if you have to repower it you'll have one heck of a tractor for less than 3k.

·
MTF Junior Poster Esq.
7,644 Posts
I paid something like $85 for a brand new starter off ebay, and it was here the next DAY!

(I was a little disappointed since I didn't get a few days off)

·
Registered
397 Posts
can you guys tell me how to disengage the hydro trans on this 400..so I can tow it ?
Not recommended - even if you can get it into freewheel. i have heard of some doing damage by towing a hyrdrostatic tractor with it in freewheel. Load on a trailer if you want to be safe and save the hydro.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Put the gear selector in the middle or neutral. If it is just to go a short distance.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
If the 400 is the same as the 420, then yes, just put the hi/lo selector in the middle, between hi and lo - it freewheels then. I agree with the others, in freewheel you can push it around, or tow it across the yard, but I wouldn't tow it across town like that.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts