My Tractor Forum banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
As for electrical once a year after washing and drying disconnect all the electrical connections, soak both sides with WD40 (Water displacement), wipe off excess, let drip dry for a while then reconnect. I spray the entire engine, under the dash, the relays and even remove the ignition key and with a nozzle, spray WD into the key slot. WD will dry without collecting dirt and dust but, still leave a film that protects. To aid/speed up drying, start it up and allow to get engine warm (not hot) then shut it down. Electrical connections as a rule need to be clean, tight and dry. The beauty is no more bad electrical connections and all will come apart when needed !
Boy that is cleaning it to the last possible trace of dust!

·
Premium Member
7,465 Posts
s for electrical once a year after washing and drying disconnect all the electrical connections, soak both sides with WD40 (Water displacement), wipe off excess, let drip dry for a while then reconnect.
These days I use dielectric grease on any electrical contacts that I ever disconnect when I reconnect them. The metals used in newer connectors seem to be made of materials that are prone to rapid oxide buildup and I have been bitten a few times chasing down electrical gremlins when the problem turned out to be oxidation on a connector that looked fine. Dielectric grease keeps oxygen from coming into contact with the electrical connections inside the quick disconnects.

The worst ones were on the electrical chute rotation and deflector connections for the snowblower on my Kubota. They starting working intermittently after the first year of use. I thought I was blowing fuses but the fuses were never blown and after unplugging and re-plugging all of the connectors and wiggling things they would work for a while again. Then, near the end of that second season I sprayed electrical contact cleaner into the connectors and then put some dielectric grease in them and I put more dielectric grease in at the end of the season and again at the beginning of the season every year since. I have just finished my 5th winter season with the snowblower and I haven't had a problem since that second year.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
These days I use dielectric grease on any electrical contacts that I ever disconnect when I reconnect them. The metals used in newer connectors seem to be made of materials that are prone to rapid oxide buildup and I have been bitten a few times chasing down electrical gremlins when the problem turned out to be oxidation on a connector that looked fine. Dielectric grease keeps oxygen from coming into contact with the electrical connections inside the quick disconnects.

The worst ones were on the electrical chute rotation and deflector connections for the snowblower on my Kubota. They starting working intermittently after the first year of use. I thought I was blowing fuses but the fuses were never blown and after unplugging and re-plugging all of the connectors and wiggling things they would work for a while again. Then, near the end of that second season I sprayed electrical contact cleaner into the connectors and then put some dielectric grease in them and I put more dielectric grease in at the end of the season and again at the beginning of the season every year since. I have just finished my 5th winter season with the snowblower and I haven't had a problem since that second year.
You're getting over my head here. I'm not the mechanically kind person as you. You really have it down and know what to do.

·
Premium Member
2,557 Posts
Rando he's just talking about putting silcone/dielectric grease in the electrical plugs. It keeps water and corrosion from happening.

·
Premium Member
7,465 Posts
Go to an auto parts store and ask for a tube of dielectric grease. It comes in a squeeze tube, like a small tube of toothpaste. Just squeeze a little out and coat any bare metal parts of any electrical connection and it will prevent problems. You can squeeze it directly onto the connectors, but that usually uses more than neededor you can use your finger or a q-tip to apply it where you want.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Go to an auto parts store and ask for a tube of dielectric grease. It comes in a squeeze tube, like a small tube of toothpaste. Just squeeze a little out and coat any bare metal parts of any electrical connection and it will prevent problems. You can squeeze it directly onto the connectors, but that usually uses more than neededor you can use your finger or a q-tip to apply it where you want.
Ok, I'll check it out. Thanks!!

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
You're gonna be shocked at how hard that thing blows lol. Mine will blow a 20ft wall of wet leaves. It's Capt'n Insano power. Don't choke it down with a little extension cord. Check their recommendation on cord size as it draws a bunch of amps.[/QUOTE

It got here Mon. Have not tried it yet.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
You're gonna be shocked at how hard that thing blows lol. Mine will blow a 20ft wall of wet leaves. It's Capt'n Insano power. Don't choke it down with a little extension cord. Check their recommendation on cord size as it draws a bunch of amps.
Wow, that thing is big! I may have to workout extra at the gym to be able to handle it. I might be able to blow the leaves out of the yard right into the field with this next fall. That would be one less thing to do with the little tractor.

·
Premium Member
2,557 Posts
You're gonna be shocked at how hard that thing blows lol. Mine will blow a 20ft wall of wet leaves. It's Capt'n Insano power. Don't choke it down with a little extension cord. Check their recommendation on cord size as it draws a bunch of amps.
Wow, that thing is big! I may have to workout extra at the gym to be able to handle it. I might be able to blow the leaves out of the yard right into the field with this next fall. That would be one less thing to do with the little tractor.
Ha! Told ya man. That thing raises the bar for what a leaf blower can do.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Ok, all of you mr. Clean jeans have inspired me to hose off my mower; actually it was covered in grass I just mowed during the rain blowing rainstorm. Had to mow more rain on the way.

And I've got to pull it in my garage so I didn't want it to be a mess. That should hold it for another couple years. ?I blow it of a few times a year.

·
Make Better Mowers
2,010 Posts
Super Clean applied with a brush for the grease & oil. Available @ Walmart.

·
Make Better Mowers
2,010 Posts
Yep. I like that it makes oil water soluable.
I pour out what I'll be using into a plastic coffee can and apply with a toilet brush......then thoroughly rinse.

·
Premium Member
2,557 Posts

Attachments

61 - 77 of 77 Posts