My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you get all the dirt and grime off without scratching them up or hurting electrical system and parts? What is the basic cleaning up method?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,986 Posts
How do you get all the dirt and grime off without scratching them up or hurting electrical system and parts? What is the basic cleaning up method?
Thanks
I use purple degreaser mixed with hot water in a bucket and a brush.

Start by air blowing and brushing off the heavy crud before wetting. Wet with a low pressure water hose. Spray with purple degreaser and let sit a few minutes. Start scrubbing with the brush and hot degreaser mix then rinse with low pressure hose.

Attachments

·
Choke's stuck on!
496 Posts
I like to remove caked mud, especially from pockets in the frame, loader and bucket, since it holds moisture for longer than if the metal were clean. I use a gas pressure washer with a 10 or 25° tip on a dry, sunny day, keeping away from the dash/engine area. Then I blow the pockets out with compressed air. The cleaning only takes a few minutes, plus setting the washer up (usually this is done when the washer is already setup for something else, though).

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good advice. It always worries me around the electrical stuff. Never thought about blow drying areas.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
I raise the hood and cover engine & electrical components with a small tarp lower the hood and wash away with car wash/wax all in one liquid mixed with water, easy peasy. The hood, side panels and fender tub on mine are all metal so light scratches could probably be buffed out if I wanted to take the time to do it which I don't. Like other said it's a working tractor so it gets washed/waxed once a year at best, although I do blow it off with a leaf blower after each mowing. Good luck.:thThumbsU

·
Premium Member
3,986 Posts
I see lots of clean tractors on here, in the barns and outside.
I worked in heavt eqpt fleets for 20 yrs. We kept our eqpt clean. Nothing worse than wrenching on something with crud falling on you or into the engine.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I use a shop vac or air compressor. In my garage shop vac, outside air compressor. About twice a year. I don't think I've ever washed it. I keep it clean on the inside with oil, air filter, blades and hydro fluid.

I'm not one for a shiny mower.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mine stays fairly dirty pretty long but just been wondering how to get them cleaned up when the time comes without hurting things.
Do you have one of the old Massey GT's? Love the way they look. Just like the tractors of that time. So neat how they made them look just like the regular farm tractors.

·
Super Moderator
13,259 Posts
Here is a video I made last year on how I wash my machines.... I blow them off after every use/day. About 2-3 times a year I wash them. It is a good way and reason to look over the whole machine.

Tractors are made for workin' not cleanin'. They sit outside, not in a curio cabinet in the family room.
If you don't clean them you don't have the opportunity to identify things that might not otherwise be noticed. Mine get dirty... If I don't clean them you can see some maintenance items....

I worked in heavt eqpt fleets for 20 yrs. We kept our eqpt clean. Nothing worse than wrenching on something with crud falling on you or into the engine.
Exactly, I hate working on my stuff if I need to fix something when its dirty.

I just spray mine off using an air compressor after I mow.
Air compressor or blower after every use works great.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
What did you say the tractor is you have? I know you told me but forgot.
Who me? It's a 2003 Cub Cadet series 2000 shaft drive 2166 with a 16hp single cyl. Kohler that ran like crap today trying to mow our 2 acres. I knew I shouldn't have washed/wax it the other day....:sidelaugh

·
21,852 Posts
I bought tractors so that I don't have to work hard. If they need to be worked on, then I'll do some cleaning if necessary. Otherwise, mother nature does a wonderful job of keeping the dirt under control.

·
Administrator
5,521 Posts
Tractors are made for workin' not cleanin'. They sit outside, not in a curio cabinet in the family room.
That's great, but where I live it snows....a lot. Maybe I am lazy, but I don't like digging my tractor out of the snow before I use it to dig out the driveway. I have room so it sits in a shed. Same with the vehicles. My garage is for them, not for all the crap that I have amassed over the years. Also, maybe I am a bit OCD, but I can't stand for things to be dirty.

Anyways, to clean things, I use the pressure washer. Just be careful to avoid electrical areas and filters as much as possible.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Need to get you a new XT3. Some guy on Indiana Craig list has 6 new ones selling out of his yard. Can't figure it out. Real cheap.

·
Premium Member
3,986 Posts
Who me? It's a 2003 Cub Cadet series 2000 shaft drive 2166 with a 16hp single cyl. Kohler that ran like crap today trying to mow our 2 acres. I knew I shouldn't have washed/wax it the other day....:sidelaugh
There's a 42" cut in that mix for $3500. A 42"!!!

Need to get you a new XT3. Some guy on Indiana Craig list has 6 new ones selling out of his yard. Can't figure it out. Real cheap.
I wonder if he was a dealer that quit carrying Cub or bought out one who did. There is no warranty transfer on Cub Cadets from owner to owner. If I wanted warranty on one of those I'd call Cub Cadet with a serial number in hand and ask them before buying one.

Also those are the GS model with manual steering and deck lift. Still a great price.

https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/grd/d/nappanee-2018-cub-cadet-gs-xt3-225hp/6859244792.html

1 - 20 of 77 Posts