My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I got my quick hitch and blade for my X495 a 90 degree hydraulic fitting that was an adjustable valve. Instructions told me to remove the straight elbow from just before the hydraulic box and replace it with this adjustable valve. I have no idea what that valve is for. I don't know if it is supposed to be open or closed for regular blade up/down left/right operation and I don't know if it should be open or closed for routine mower operation in the summer. In fact the valve doesn't seem to have stops in the open position so it will fall apart if I open the round control nut all the way out. PLEASE help me understand what this is, what position it should be in and to what degree it should be open or closed for varying operations. Right now I have it open and the right/left operation of the blade is delayed but once it starts to move all is fine. Help please.

·
Super Moderator
26,747 Posts
oldcyclist. That is a lockout valve, and they are used to prevent flow to the ram that raises and lowers the deck. For use with front blade it should be closed and when you want to return to using the mower deck or rear implement open it. By locking out the hydraulics for the rear/mid attachment all hydraulic on the front work without delay that comes if you don't have one.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oldcyclist. That is a lockout valve, and they are used to prevent flow to the ram that raises and lowers the deck. For use with front blade it should be closed and when you want to return to using the mower deck or rear implement open it. By locking out the hydraulics for the rear/mid attachment all hydraulic on the front work without delay that comes if you don't have one.
Great info! So, closed for blade, closed for snow thrower, open for mowing? And by open it is just a couple of turns?

·
Super Moderator
26,747 Posts
I ran for about a year on the 318 before I got one, a world of difference when working the angle on the plow. If your blower has hydraulic chute angle then that is the place where you will notice the difference. The up/down should always be on the circuit that has the "float" position.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Great info! So, closed for blade, closed for snow thrower, open for mowing? And by open it is just a couple of turns?
On my X738, open all the way. Mine stops. A couple of turns might not give you full flow. I expect yours is the same, but I’ll let someone that has the exact same answer for sure.

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,635 Posts
It should have an internal stop, and takes about three full turns to open or close it. It should be either fully open or fully closed. If you haven't installed it yet, there is a valve available that is 1/4 turn open or closed, maybe you can trade for it. To be clear, all it really does is make the response immediate when raising or lowering the blade. If you don't install the valve, the blade will still raise and lower, but only after the rockshaft cylinder (for the deck/rear lift) moves. You can lock the deck from moving at all simply by setting the deck height control knob to its highest position. I'm not sure which set of lines operates the lift or the chute on the front snowblower. If I left the lockout valve open when using my loader (X748), the bucket curl function was the one that operated slowly.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Lockout valves are rated for pressure. The 1/4 turn model often is not rated as high as the multi-turn. That won't matter with just a blade. But a front end loader needs the best quality.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I know this is a month old post, but I'll add this for clarity.

One hydraulic control lever, when operated, supplies fluid to the left front ports only. The other lever, when operated, supplies fluid to the left front ports AND the deck cylinder. When nothing is attached to the left front ports, operating the lever moves the deck cylinder in & out without any hesitation. With something attached to the front ports, hydraulic pressure moves the least resistance first, the deck cylinder. Once this cylinder reaches the end of its stroke, the pressure will NOW operate whatever is on the front port. The hesitation/slowness of the front attachment is due to waiting for the deck cylinder to stop moving. The lockout valve, when closed completely, stops the flow of fluid to the deck cylinder and prevents it from moving. When the lever is operated, the front ports now respond instantly. Bob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts