My Tractor Forum banner

What is it? Bready or Gardenaid

9167 Views 27 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  CWRIGHT
Hello, this is Chip and I recently bought two 2 wheeled tractors from a fella and he told me that they were Breadys. From looking at old Gardenaid ads I believe that they look closer to that. I would like to find out for sure what they are and what colors they would have been originally. I posted a video of it with the sickle mower attachment on it. My youtube name is Chip Wright and I will try to create a link as soon as I figure out how to do it. Thanks in advance for you help.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
I would say that is a gardenaid. It is exactly like mine except for the rubber. I date mine a 1946 due to the NR6 engine and the lack of rubber tires. It seemed like yours was running kind of fast in the video; I would check it to make sure its adjusted right. The governor is no more than a spring and air vane. That also might just be my speakers that are making it sound that way.
See less See more
I agree, I think that it is a Gardenaid also. You are right about it running fast. I just discovered today that the rod between the carb. and air vain was missing. When I made the video I had just discovered that day that the throttle cable was broken and didn't know about the governor problem. I was trying to keep the rpm in check with the clutch but I really should not have run it until I had it fixed. I will get a new linkage rod on it before I run it again. Would you happen to know the colors that they would have been painted or if they would have been painted different depending the store selling them? Mine seems to have had black rims and frame originally. The handle bars and belt guard seemed to be yellow. It has been painted a bunch of times and it is hard to tell what is what. Yellow and black seem to be at the bottom though. Thanks economy man for replying back, I can use all of the help that I can get.
See less See more
Mine seems to have been orange originally. I found remnants under the grease inside the gear cover.
My sickle mower and the handlebars on my other tractor almost seemed orange between the rust. When I smeared a film of oil on it the color seemed to be yellow to me though. I can see it now, I'll get it painted and someone will say, "It's the wrong colors." Maybe I'll find more evidence as I tear it apart. I think that I might like orange over yellow anyway. How hard do you think will be to find engine parts for a Briggs NR6. I have two that I am hoping to rebuild and I'll at least want rings if I can't bore it out and replace the piston and rings. The one that runs smokes bad when running slower and the other one is said to be worse. Nothing that can't be fixed though.
See less See more
Your story is close to my story only opposite. A couple years ago I bought a gardenaid ,then our Bready guru in our area tells me it is a Bready.It sure looks like the Gardenaid in all there photos on line.So I am still not positive what You or I have. Mine has been repainted red but there is green under it.
Lee
See less See more
If you just need rings they are available. The NR6 and the NPR6 are just model N's (2.00"x2.00") with gear reductions. Search on ebay for briggs model N. The crankshaft on the NR6 is different because of the internal gear reduction.
My tractor has a wooden clutch handle that someone on the internet said that only Gardenaid had. They also had various sales flyer pictures showing a tractor very similar to mine including the same wooden handle. At the same time I have also found a picture that someone posted of a tractor that had the same sickle mower as mine and they said that it had a tag on it that said Bready. Which do I believe? I'm beginning to wonder if Bready and Gardenaid are like Cockshutt and Co-op or S10 and Sonoma or Mercury Grand Marquis and Crown Victoria. All of my implements look like the ones in the Gardenaid pictures too. The wheels on my cultivator attachment are identical in design to the picture and they are fairly unique. I'm going to take some good pictures of the both tractors with the implements included to make it easier for everyone to see what we're talking about. A picture is better than my verbal description any day. A lot of things have happened to these old tractors (including coats of paint) since the early 50's when they were made. It would be nice to find some hard evidence of what we've got and what colors they would have been. Mine is currently red and green and the other one is in red oxide primer and rust, each with some hints of black on the frame.
See less See more
Thank you Lee and economy man for your posts. I will definitely look on ebay for rings. I'm afraid though that I will probably end up wanting to bore it .010 over after I see the wear. I know that the piston is pretty sloppy in the cylinder. I've been down the road of doing things twice so if it is sloppier than it should be then I will probably search for a piston and rings so that I can bore it oversize.
See less See more
Here are some pictures of my two tractors with implements.
Vehicle Grass Tractor Plant Soil

Vehicle Wheel Automotive tire Auto part Plant

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Auto part Rim

Grass Tool

Grass Plant community Plant

Grass Grass family Plant

Grass Lawn Plant Soil Lawn aerator

Agricultural machinery Plough Vehicle Grass Weeder
See less See more
Here are the rest of my pictures of the two tractors.

Attachments

See less See more
I read this fourm way back when I was givin a two wheeled tractor. You can't find anything on the Breadys. I believe that is what I have. Red Vehicle Water Tractor Agricultural machinery
I started on it three years ago at the age of 13 and finally got around to paint the attachments a month ago. I'm 17 now. It has a 1.5 hp Clinton motor on it. The nameplate dates the motor 1948. There is no plate anywhere on the tractor. The colors I matched the best I could to the original under all the rust and grease, the original yellow was a little darker. The one thing that stands out is the motor slides forwards to engage it. Strange. Any idea either way on it? Garden aid or Bready?

1973 motoski f-340
See less See more
I know almost nothing about the two wheelers, being im a 4 wheeler Bready guy, But im not sure if they ever used a red color on the two wheelers. Most ive seen are that green color like the post above you. Granted it could be a model year thing. Bready did make 4 wheel tractors for other companys. I got into the Bready world looking to replace a old Homelite I had as a kid, so its possible there were other brands made by them. Bready or Gardenaid... its still a nice looking tractor, and nice job on it!
See less See more
The one thing that's not original is the gas tank. It had an aluminum one on it and I couldn't get it to seal so I had a guy make me a steel one, and it looks pretty close, once it's painted you yon't know the diffrence! Storage tank Automotive wheel system Automotive tire Gas Auto part
Auto part Automotive wheel system Automotive exterior Gas Fuel tank

1973 motoski f-340
See less See more
Hi TTwalkbehinds, I don't think that it is either one, but I could be wrong. I looked at a bunch of tractor pictures on Google Images and I didn't find one that was a match. It looks a lot like some of the Bolens Power-Ho's with the exception of the engine being turn the other way. It also looks a bit like a smaller model David Bradley's if the hood was off. There were many many manufacturers of these little tractors back then. Finding out which one yours is will be an adventure. More pictures from different angles might help to identify your tractor. Your restoration turned on very nice.
See less See more
I have books on them...
Beady had model E , A, BW, AB, AR

Gardenaid had model 700
You do? Could you pinpoint which make and models he and I have?
The one thing that made me say no to bolens or David bradly is that the motor slides to engage it. The only two I could find that where like that was the garden aid and bready.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.