My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Don't think the turkey breast came out all that bad. Nice rich dark caramel color on the outside. It's in the cooler now and find out on the morrow.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,017 Posts
Almost forgot, what would Thanksgiving be without football???

We're outside at a parent-organized pickup game for the two boys (9 and 13). Basically all the kids from the flag leagues. It's a balmy 40 degrees, overcast, windy and spritzing rain. But everyone's having fun!

Mike

·
Super Moderator
26,881 Posts
Cat, it was part of a Pumpkin Pie baking test. I'd never made one until the last two weeks and that was test pie #2. Which came out good, not as good as my mothers or my wifes but pretty good.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Just an update on the turkey breast I smoked yesterday. Today I removed the skin and had the first taste of the meat underneath. Simply delicious! Just the taste of the complex flavors of the apple cider & Guinness Stout which didn't overpower the taste of the turkey. The plum wood gave an almost fruity smoked flavor much different than the pecan I normally use.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Just the two of us this year so we dialed it back with pecan wood smoked pork ribs, green bean casserole, sweet potato casserole, dinner rolls, sweet potato pie and pecan pie both topped with cool whip.
Tonight's NFL game Saints vs Falcons; Geaux Saints don't blow it again against Atlanta.:tango_face_devil:

·
Super Moderator
26,881 Posts
Just an update on the turkey breast I smoked yesterday. Today I removed the skin and had the first taste of the meat underneath. Simply delicious! Just the taste of the complex flavors of the apple cider & Guinness Stout which didn't overpower the taste of the turkey. The plum wood gave an almost fruity smoked flavor much different than the pecan I normally use.
Sounds like it was quite the recipe for smoking a bird, never heard of smoking with plum wood. I may have to try that some time.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Used an apple cider brine and after cooking it to dissolve the sugar & salt, once it cools some added the 3 bottles of Guinness Stout. Brined it for two days and drained for another day. Smoke cooked with hardwood lump charcoal and the plum wood to an internal temp of 165℉. Then put it into a cooler to slowly come down to room temp then into the fridge overnight. I don't think I've ever had turkey that was so moist.

https://www.smoker-cooking.com/turkey-done-temperature.html

·
Parts collector
2,989 Posts
well we did the turkey thing and had my wife's kids over. My kids were with their mom. Then I got to put a tire on my son's dirt bike after I eat too much. LOL......... :tango_face_devil:

21 - 31 of 31 Posts