My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got me a young turkey breast that I just put in the brine. The brine is an apple cider/Guinness Stout one I'm trying out. It will brine for a couple of days, then drain for another day. Cut the dried pecan limbs up today that will be used in my modified Oklahoma Joe's Highland Smoker and smoke cooking on Wednesday.

How about you?

·
Premium Member
9,489 Posts
Off to my Mother in Laws for turkey day. About 30-40 friends and family!

·
Parts collector
3,403 Posts
first year ever, not doing anything. We are going to throw a ham in the 3 pot, crockpot, some taters in there too with some veggies. Then headed to the mountains for deer season. :tango_face_devil:

Yes my wife is coming to deer camp. :tango_face_smile_bi

·
Super Moderator
29,458 Posts
Going to be throwing together a dinner for my son and I, been practicing on pumpkin pies and have gotten respectable with the filling and a store bought crust.

·
close enuff works for me
3,050 Posts
I am getting good at pumpkin pie also,,,,drive to costco and buy monster their $5 pumpkin pie:tango_face_smile_bi

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am getting good at pumpkin pie also,,,,drive to costco and buy monster their $5 pumpkin pie:tango_face_smile_bi
You mean like that quote from the Blind Side where the guy says, "Everyone thank your mother for driving to the store."? :sidelaugh

·
We're all friends here
14,276 Posts
Our usual trip down to NJ to be with the kids. My SiL's family joins us on turkey day. No pumpkin pie for me but there is an outstanding Amish bakery just a few minutes from my daughter's house. Yum! :woohoo1:

·
15,000 +posts!
20,063 Posts
I don't plan on going anywhere,or doing anything out of the ordinary..

To me,like many others,Thanksgiving is just another day--not everyone gets the day off,or has family or friends to spend the day with..
I plan to stay home by myself and enjoy the solitude..

Rather not risk my neck on congested highways with dangerous drivers going way over 65 mph while using cell phones,nor do I trust my truck very far anyways..

My closest "family" is 70 miles away and though I could go visit them,I don't plan too,the ride would be very risky in my truck--and they have not bothered to come visit me in years, or offered any assistance to help me get the house fixed up that they stand to inherit when I croak--so screw them..
I have not attended any of their get together's for decades..don't plan to start now either..

Call me Scrooge ,but I detest this time of the year--all it does is make me depressed and dwell on all the people I've lost over the years,and the long nights starting at 4 pm really puts me in a funk..can't wait till the "holidays" are over and spring returns..

·
Premium Member
9,489 Posts
The most important thing is to arrive for dinner just as "Alice's Restaurant" finishes it's last chorus on the radio.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey Tractor-Holic or Scrooge, if you wish!

Don't ever feel like the lone stranger. I've been by myself since the 1990's and used to get extremely depressed around this time of year remembering all those that have gone before me. I have no other family members around and even distant relations are just that, distant like 2,000 miles away, ain't seen them in near 20 years. Considering that from 2012 to 2015, I was on the streets homeless, eating those mass Thanksgiving free meals at whichever Salvation Army or Rescue Mission was nearest, I was just another homeless veteran of many.

Took me a long time to accept that one makes their own reality. Being depressed is a state of mind that you control. I've also been completely clean & sober now since August of 2012 just when I became homeless. Only take ibuprofen for the constant pain I have. I'm poor and live on my SSD each month, just slightly above poverty level. I likely have more than 1,001 reasons to feel depressed or sorry for myself, but I don't. I treat every day as a new adventure. Change your mindset and enjoy life again.

·
Parts collector
3,403 Posts

·
16,352 Posts
Hey Tractor-Holic or Scrooge, if you wish!

Don't ever feel like the lone stranger. I've been by myself since the 1990's and used to get extremely depressed around this time of year remembering all those that have gone before me. I have no other family members around and even distant relations are just that, distant like 2,000 miles away, ain't seen them in near 20 years. Considering that from 2012 to 2015, I was on the streets homeless, eating those mass Thanksgiving free meals at whichever Salvation Army or Rescue Mission was nearest, I was just another homeless veteran of many.

Took me a long time to accept that one makes their own reality. Being depressed is a state of mind that you control. I've also been completely clean & sober now since August of 2012 just when I became homeless. Only take ibuprofen for the constant pain I have. I'm poor and live on my SSD each month, just slightly above poverty level. I likely have more than 1,001 reasons to feel depressed or sorry for myself, but I don't. I treat every day as a new adventure. Change your mindset and enjoy life again.
///////////////////////////

Flaken__ i admire your courage an your perserverance----stay the course, trooper--some have less than you.
God Bless to everyone this time of year!

glenn

·
Premium Member
8,497 Posts
Thanksgiving is at my sister's house. We host Christmas. Going on 17 years, I think.

Lost my mom this year, and my grandfather (last one in his generation) just went into assisted living. So, we're down to my Dad and my MIL. BIL lost both of his parents years ago too.

We do have four kids between our two families, so there's a generation up and coming (age range is 9 to 16).

Very thankful to have loving families and friends. Good jobs and homes are most definitely not taken for granted, either. But, family and friends are most important.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

Mike

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just a slight change to the smoking of the bird which I'll do today. Was going to use the pecan wood that I have plenty of since I have 10 trees, but my neighbor asked me to take out a dead, or mostly dead, plum tree. It was about 8 inches at the base and 15 feet tall, even got the root ball out with just a little digging. Filled the hole with my free dirt producer which is the culvert underneath the drive. So I will be using plum wood to smoke cook the turkey.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts