My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As title says: I'm trying to figure out what the market rate is for a used 48X deck off of a X340. Long story short, the X340 became unusable, the deck is fine. Just looking to get a little relief for the unexpected expense of a replacement tractor. Found a sweet '11 X540 with 350 hrs. I guess every cloud has a silver lining! :D

What is the deck worth? Where would I likely find the best place to market it?

Pics of deck for sale, and replacement X540 (not for sale)

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle Art Font
Tire Wheel Riding mower Vehicle Green

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
The not helpful but really true answers is whatever someone is willing to pay for it that you are willing to sell it for.

Here are some other answers:
2017 John Deere 48C | Attachments for Lawn & Garden Tractors | MachineFinder
That is $600 for a deck that new old stock and more expensive than your deck when it was new. If that deck was close to me I would buy it at that price.

There was a time when I was in the market for a deck like yours. I might have paid $500 for it, but that was pre-covid.

A new 48X deck like yours is about $1300 now. Your deck has the dual pulley for Power Flow power head, but the new one does not. If you have a PF, you should move the pulley, as a new one is probably $100 or so.

I would probably try to sell it for about $600 or so. I would use Craigslist. I have had good luck with it both buying and selling. Other people have not and like Facebook Marketplace better. I refuse to get a FB account for reasons. I have been tempted by some things there and probably bought something once or twice with my wife as the contact.

The X540 looks very nice and is quite the upgrade.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@Frogmore
Nice pickup on the dual pulley. I'm planning to just swap it over to the deck on the X540. It's a 54" deck, but I'm pretty sure the pulleys are interchangeable. If not, I'll just leave it be.

Thanks for the response!

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
No reason not to post on both FB and Craigslist. I sell a fair amount of my used gear on CL and some on FB. The downside to CL is that the search engine is regional and limits your audience. If you are in a small market, that can be problematic.

If you're willing to strap it to a pallet and drop it at a Fastenal for shipping, you could also sell it on ebay. If you do that, I recommend that you require the buyer to make the shipping arrangements, you just palletize it and drop it off.

At this time of year, I'd be planning to store it for a few months as it probably won't move even at a firesale price.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The jacksheave double pulley from the 48X deck is not compatible with a 54X deck... the decks use different diameter spindle pulleys.

As for pricing the 48X deck, if the spindle bearings and idler pulleys have not been recently replaced, $400 would be the max that I would pay for a solid deck. Ask $600 or so and see if you get any bites.

NOTE: I purchased a nice 54X deck this past summer for $400, and then spent a few hundred dollars more refurbishing it (all new bearings, new paint, new gage wheels, new chute, etc).

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Tire Automotive parking light

Motor vehicle Yellow Automotive design Automotive exterior Gas

1 - 7 of 7 Posts