My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to buy a good tractor dump cart. I need a larger one over 12 cubic feet. Looking at Ohio, Craftsman and a pricey John Deere. Would like to know some of your cart experience and suggestions.

·
Super Moderator
39,309 Posts
I have an Agrifab 15 CF one that I've had for about 14 years now. I beat it pretty hard and it is showing the signs but it still works!

Attachments

·
Briggs powered Sears.
2,844 Posts

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,543 Posts
I've got a very sturdy JD 15S steel that I picked up off CL for $200. It has a swing/removable tailgate, and a dump. I over load it regularly. I also own a ¾ ton capacity road licensed tilt utility trailer that I can easily switch back and forth from tractor to truck when getting mulch or delivering firewood. But I really like the shorter, narrower stance of the JD cart for winding through the woods retrieving firewood. Any cart reasonably cared for should work, and used got me a nice JD at a great price point.

·
Registered
7,939 Posts
I saw this one that was only 30 minutes away on both CL and MTF within an hour and figured it was my destiny to buy it!!

My other cart is higher and I am enjoying loading a lower cart.

There are so many CL offerings, search before you buy, low cost trumps new when it comes to something you will abuse!!

·
Registered
790 Posts
I've owned and totally worn out several Agrifab wagons (both 2 and 4 wheel variety). I am not been impressed with their strength or durability. The sheet metal on these bends easily and quickly develops stress cracks. I had to install a 3/4 plywood floor in the 4 wheel wagon because the sheet metal floor sagged so bad. The cheap tires on both constantly need air. I would recommend these only for the city lawn work - not for anything serious like hauling fire wood, rocks and gravel, etc.

Sadly, there does not appear to be much heavier duty choices available without getting into real farm wagons. I have found this manufacturer that appears to build a good product http://www.countrymanufacturing.com/wagons.htm. When I am ready to buy another I will be giving them a try.

JN

·
Registered
153 Posts
Although smaller, one of the toughest carts I have is a simplicity dump cart. It is actually rated at 1000#. When it dumps, you back up and the box continues over to completely dump.

The size is small for what you are looking for, but if you see one on craigslist, I would grab it. They usually go very cheap because they are "old".

·
Registered
989 Posts
This is my next cart.

1250lb capacity. ATV tires. Perfectly flat bottom. I have seen this cart at the store many times. They always sell quickly. One weekend there were seven lined up along with all the other models. Next weekend only 1 remained. Weeks later, exact same thing. Heavy duty metal frame. Heavy duty no-rust bed.

$299 was last price I saw at TSC.

·
Registered
6,972 Posts
Many of them are rated for a lot more weight than you should ever put in them. Fill them to their rated capacity and be ready for the bed floor to warp,, the tires to leave ruts. The smallest ones have very very small or skinny tires. Really how many riding mowers are rated to tow 1000 pounds or more?

·
Registered
989 Posts
Many of them are rated for a lot more weight than you should ever put in them. Fill them to their rated capacity and be ready for the bed floor to warp,, the tires to leave ruts. The smallest ones have very very small or skinny tires. Really how many riding mowers are rated to tow 1000 pounds or more?
Boy do I know that. I have learned the limitations of my current cart, equivalent to the JD 8 cu ft version. If you're hauling a cart heaped with rocks, gravel, clay and other stuff you want a beefy one. And you want wider tires. I bent the axle, tongue and dump edge of the bed on mine. I repaired and beefed it up to get through my projects. Next one will not have those weaknesses.

·
Registered
905 Posts
i have the ohio steel 15 cu.ft. 3460H K/D. i have used it for a year, i think it is high quality, no rust, no bent sheet metal. I hual everything in it. Only problem was a tire went bad and they replaced it with a whole wheel assembly.

·
Premium Member
12,458 Posts
I have a Craftsman 10 cuft model (610 series, made by Ohio Steel), about 8-9 years old.

As others have mentioned, tires are a weak point, especially when loaded with rocks, etc. I've put tubes in and have had no further issues.

From Day 1, I put a piece of 3/4 inch plywood at the bottom, mainly to protect the paint. I've bent the sides by dropping large rocks onto it, but I can't imagine any material really taking that sort of abuse well.

I regularly use it to haul mulch, dirt and firewood, never have any issues. I try not to overload it with rocks after that one time I blew out both tires (although, with the tubes, I probably could push it harder than I do).

Overall, I would highly recommend it (with the plywood and tubes), especially for the price of a used one (abundant listings on CL for $50-75 or less).

Lots of people rave over the large Rubbermaid carts, but those are pricey and hard to find on CL.

If I ever replace this one, it would be for a 17 cuft model, and I would add a linear actuator lift (just because)...

Hope this helps.

Mike

·
'Simple' MTF Member
4,426 Posts
When it dumps, you back up and the box continues over to completely dump.
The flip over feature is fantastic, and I don't think I could ever overload one with the work I do. The tailgate also doubles as removable, or set to hinge outward when dumping. They are a very versatile cart.

They hold 10 cu ft heaped, or 7 cu ft struck, and at about 78# per cubic foot for something like average topsoil, you're looking at close to an 800# load, realistically, if there's any moisture to it. Any GT I've been on would tow that easily, and the trailer is balanced such that it provides tounge weight to keep your rear planted. Downhill is the only real area of caution.

These can be had for $100 fairly easily. I paid $150 for mine in exceptional condition.

·
MTF New but seasoned post
49 Posts
I bought a Craftsman 12cy steel cart over 11 years ago, love it and it was cheaper! No bed-liner, dont have time. The rust and scratches are part of the charm! No its not that bad and I have used it heavily for everything wood, dirt, mulch, rocks, construction equipment, etc.
Only important thing with all tractors & equipment is store inside, High and dry. raise off slab if possible.
Poly carts have some good features, but for me I need bigger or two carts. Have someone load one while hauling the other. I am shopping for a 18cy steel tandem axle now!

·
Registered
667 Posts
I bought a Craftsman 12cy steel cart over 11 years ago, love it and it was cheaper!
Wow! that must be some cart. Usually anything that size (12cy) has tandem axles, a big cat diesel engine and 21 gears - i.e. it's a dump truck. I think you mean 12 cubic feet, not yards. A cubic yard is 27 cubic feet. A full-sized 8' pickup bed holds about a yard and a half filled to the brim, but you wouldn't want to haul that much gravel in a pickup, either.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
You can't get one too big. I have a 17 cubic foot Agri-fab. It's OK

I end up using my 6 x10' trailer most of the time though for brush. The little one doesn't hold squat. It pulls easily even on steep hills with the 2305.:greendr:

·
Small Engine Collector
239 Posts
My grandpa has a John Deere 10 cubic foot cart and it works great. We always overload it with fire wood. I suggest if you want something bigger go with the 17 cubic foot cart. I have a few garden carts too. I use my gorilla cart alot but it is a little small. The only good thing about that is that it really can hold what it says it can. Also, never buy those Tractor Supply wagons that claim to hold 1000 pounds. Put 250 pounds on them you snap axles and the frame bends. Ive got two junkers out side to prove it. I would either go with a larger gorilla cart or a 17 cubic foot cart from John Deere.

·
Small Engine Collector
239 Posts
Also if you really want a strong cart build your own. I made a 4x6 ft one with 2x4's that came from pallets. The plywood for the deck I had laying around and for the tounge I used an old I beam. For tires I used the 8 tires that came of my other 2 junk wagons. I am going to swap out those tires for a truck axle that I have laying around. That will give it more ground clearence and weight capacity.

·
Premium Member
10,108 Posts
I have had the Craftsman 12 cf poly cart since '07. It has held up very well for everything from mulch to graded base for driveway repair. There is no question that it is easier to dump a steel cart with removable or flip-up tailgate (ie Deere Model 80) than it is the poly cart, which you have to scrape out, but the poly cart is very sturdy.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts