My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for what is a good older mower/tractor to look for. Older just because I want it a lot cheaper. I have JD 318 for the mountains, it does OK, but struggles going up the hills a little and some areas has no chance because of traction and I have more aggressive tires then turf . So something with a little more torque like a diesel. Want 3pt hitch, 4x4, and some hydrophilic abilities.

I was looking for a JD 430 but then on my FB market feed a few Kobuta's came up in similar price range that were 4x4 and well the thought of getting up the steeper hills a little further has given me the bug for a 4x4 tractor. I have seen several B series with a roll over protection bar have really caught my attention for the $2K range. I do not mind turning a wrench to save some money. I am a year or two from moving to the mountains full time so playing now and figuring out what I want to really play with up there.

So what JD or other models are 4x4's in the I know I do not need something this big but wanted it anyways category. A locking rear differential would also be nice now that I have seen some Kobuta's with it. The split break pedal on the JD has really got me out of some jams, but 4x4 and locking differential would really keep me out of them. 30% need and 70% want as a toy.

Thanks

·
Registered
231 Posts
A JD 655/755/855/955 would be 4x4 with hydraulics, but not in the $2k range.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
447 Posts
Id say if you can get a 4wd kubota in decent running condition for that 2k you posted, what are you waiting for?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Id say if you can get a 4wd kubota in decent running condition for that 2k you posted, what are you waiting for?
Planning and educating myself right now. I see more then a few around $2k so it seems like nothing I need to jump on since I have no immediate need. I even see more then one Kubota BX2200 4x4 22hp for $3K even in great shape with a belly mower and that is at a dealer, trade-in I assume. More then I wanted to spend, nicer then I was looking for but the cheaper ones have a lot less hp. Other then Kobuta not seeing any brands under $5K with 4x4, but these search tools on these for sale sites like CL and FB are worthless and show way to much stuff totally unrelated, but a brand and model helps reduce the noise.

I just searched the JD 655, the few I could find for under $4k were not 4x4 and none had a mower deck or any attachments. So I guess JD is way out of my price range.

·
Premium Member
7,357 Posts
Kubota has close to as good of a reputation as JD, at least around here, and are generally not that much less price-wise than JD. Any Kubotas for $2k around here are likely in need of work, and if they are in good working shape then they are likely gray market models that someone is wanting to get rid of because they finally got it working after struggling to find parts. Maybe the market is different where you're located.

·
Super Moderator
13,179 Posts
Kubota has close to as good of a reputation as JD, at least around here, and are generally not that much less price-wise than JD. Any Kubotas for $2k around here are likely in need of work, and if they are in good working shape then they are likely gray market models that someone is wanting to get rid of because they finally got it working after struggling to find parts. Maybe the market is different where you're located.
Ditto

2k 4x4 and SCUT is normally not something that go together for major brands (Kubota and Deere being two of those). You can however pick up other brands in that price range. Parts support however is lacking......

Something like a Jinma:
https://www.kenotractors.com/product/rhino-204-used-2004-jinma/

This one is at a dealer and has a loader... A little older and I bet you would be in the 2-2.5K range without the loader.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah in my research for brands and models I found the other day about these gray market tractors. So far the models I have seen are on the Kubota models
https://www.kubotausa.com/service-support/prior-products
They also have a list of their gray market models
https://www.kubotausa.com/gray-market-tractors#gray-market

Yes the ones for near $2k are more of a beater. So still sounds like best bet for a 4x4 is Kobuta. I think I will start tracking the model number condition and price. I am in Fl, the on BX2200 looks real good, dealer says runs great. They started at $3,600 and are now down to $3,000, I will keep my eye for how low they go.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Which mountain range in Florida are you moving to?
The I-95 overpass, about the only mountain around LOL.

We live in Fl now at the beach, but have 6+ acres in NC mountains. I have a JD 318 up there, have a JD 322 here I am trying to fix up and get running and a JD100 here I actually mow with. The JD322 was to be a backup for the 318, but now I am thinking 4x4 and more hp, as the 318 has its limits up there but gets the job done for 80% of what I want to mow. We are looking to move their full time, so want more to play with and increase the ares I mow and keep sapping free.

If this is $3,250 BX2200 from a dealer, and one only a few hours is away $3,000
https://www.tractorhouse.com/listings/farm-equipment/for-sale/28926193/2000-kubota-bx2200d

Seems with a little more time these will come down more and maybe I have to up my budget. The ones I find closer to $2K are older and less hp. Thinking I need more HP to tackle the really steep hills safer. Could add a back blade and tiller over time if I do not find one with them already.

·
Registered
447 Posts
That sounds like a good plan to get a 4x4 for steeper terrain. And that seems pretty reasonable on that one in Omaha. But driving the thousand miles or more one way to get it will easily add another thousand to it. There are online shipping services like U-Ship that can quote prices for that which might save you a lot of time and money. I know I have gotten a tractor delivered from 500+ miles away for much less than the fuel would have cost me to get there. The shipper was pulling a trailer loaded with at least 6 stops and I imagine he seen the wisdom in doing that. I sure couldn't, but hey it worked out fine. Good luck on finding the right deal for your mountain home!

·
Choke's stuck on!
495 Posts
My father just bought a late 80's Kubota L2850 for $2200 locally. It is a 4wd, 4 cyl. 33 or 34 HP, decent tires, mechanically sound, cosmetically rough. He found it in the local paper called "The Area Shopper", which only covers a few counties. The deal was not posted anywhere online. I don't think the seller had a computer. And they say print media is dead!

So check the local classifieds. Many folks posting there may not know what their equipment is worth.

Online, set up deal alerts on FB and CL. FB has it native but CL will require a 3rd party app. The key is to pick a narrow price range and few key words (like "diesel tractor", $1900-$2500). Around here, most stuff under $2000 has a blown motor or 10000 hours. But deals can be had at a range just above than. My 4wd '82 Ford 1500 with loader was $3000 out the door from a dealer at that. Without the loader it would have been $2000 or less. I found it on CL with a deal alert for "loader", $2000-$4000, IIRC.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts