My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Wheel Horse
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. Looking for just a small zero turn for non commercial use. I have maybe 3 yards I mow and the most hours I will put on it in a week is proabably 7. I don't think thats enough for commercial. Sooooo I am just needing to know a cheap zero turn to get the job done. If their is any zero turn out their in the $1500 range then please let me know. I know that pretty cheap and you get what you pay for but I try and keep oil changed more than neccesary. I keep all my maintenace excellent and also I keep my equipment in a shed. Sorry for talking so much. Appreciate any and all help. Thanks Dusty

·
forkz
6,166 Posts
not a new u may find a used one for that adda about a thousand n can gat a cub rzt n troy bilt n several others wayne

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
The least expensive new ZTR is around $2500. You could probably find something used for $1500.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Toro I think was around $2500 with 0% 48 months. My buddy bought the Lawn Boy one with a Honda on it for around the same and same 0%.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Yep, the Toros are $2599. There is something that amazes me with the ~$5K and under ZTRs of today. I believe the ONLY ones that don't use Hydrogear RZT or ZT-2800+ unitized transaxles are JD and Dixon. Why no Tufftorq? Talk about having the market by the horns! All I can figure is Tufftorq makes so much $$ from John Deere, they are in no hurry to compete in the unitized ZTR transaxle market. I wish they would get in the market for some variety at least.

Joel

·
10,839 Posts
I have a 'residential' grade Husqvarna, which I do not recommend due to low quality wear parts used on the deck. I would add the disclaimer of "I might of got a lemon" but I personally know two other people with the same model and they have not had good luck with theirs either.
Good luck with your search.

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
where's my reply? I know I had one here; it's GONE; buy a used Grasshopper or such;
I got a Woods "Mow'n Machine" last year and love it; though if I repower I will be probably looking to upgrade to a higher HP Kohler K or Magnum (mine's a 12 HP Magnum) look for a 1250 model or an 1850 model; I like my 1250; it has a 44" cut that fits thru some gates; any larger and that wouldn't be.
the 1850 was an 18HP with a 48 or a 52" deck.

the compatible GH to mine would be a 1210 or a 1212; there was an "early" and a "late" Woods 1250. these machines were made from 1985-89. but there are others out there.

(in the 80s at least, maybe longer) Woods owned GH so their machines were the same except for decals and color scheme.
you don't have to go with "new"just "new to you".

mine still runs very strong; but as I have a spare and identical long block to my M12 engine from a parts machine I bought, I may rebuild it and have it "ready"; thats the best insurance that I won't wind up needing to repower; having one on hand and ready.

·
Super Moderator
17,111 Posts
Dusty I sent you a PM with some help:thThumbsU

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
before I found my Woods I was looking into an Ariens; that looked like a decent ZTR;
for your purposes maybe an older Dixon?

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I'm surprised even Dixon went the way of the Hydrogear integrated EZT transaxle for their first 2 ZTR models in the lineup. 3rd one up has the better ZT-2800's, you've got to go all the way up to their "Ram Ultra" series to get separate pump and wheel motor drive.

http://www.dixon-ztr.com/node2326.aspx?nid=16564

·
Registered
758 Posts
I think Bad Boy sold a ztr @ TSC that was one of the most affordable ztr with the serviceable Light commercial ZT2800's. but you have a few other decent recommendations.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
The least expensive I could find with ZT-2800's was the 2010 Z-Force 44" fab I bought @ $3700. People tend to get all flintchy at the very mention of Cub Cadet / MTD though. Regardless, it's served me well so far.

Joel

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,735 Posts
I'm surprised even Dixon went the way of the Hydrogear integrated EZT transaxle for their first 2 ZTR models in the lineup. 3rd one up has the better ZT-2800's, you've got to go all the way up to their "Ram Ultra" series to get separate pump and wheel motor drive.

http://www.dixon-ztr.com/node2326.aspx?nid=16564

Poblem is, why go with the ZT-2800s if your going to settle for a B&S engine? Or even the Kohler Courage engines? Might as well stick with the EZT with those. When you get into the ZT-2800s you might as well get a better engine too. But that raises prices.

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,735 Posts
The least expensive I could find with ZT-2800's was the 2010 Z-Force 44" fab I bought @ $3700. People tend to get all flintchy at the very mention of Cub Cadet / MTD though. Regardless, it's served me well so far.

Joel
Those list for $4799 and currently are on sale at $3799. At that price I'd still try to put someone into a Gravely ZT XL for a list of $4299 as it has a better quality Kawasaki engine.

Might as well add a disclaimer as we sell both Cub Cadet and Gravely/Ariens plus Hustler, Toro and Scag currently. And did sell and currently still are listed as a Dixon dealer. We don't care if you buy at a big box store as we'll get it when it needs work. And then get the chance to show you equipment that the big box stores don't/can't.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Poblem is, why go with the ZT-2800s if your going to settle for a B&S engine? Or even the Kohler Courage engines? Might as well stick with the EZT with those. When you get into the ZT-2800s you might as well get a better engine too. But that raises prices.
To each his own. I'd rather replace my Courage V-twin for the $469+ you can get them for, than a single ZT-2800 that's got to be well over $1000 given the EZTs go for $900 a piece. I'm with you though. I'd rather have a $4300 machine, but the $3699 I got my Z-Force for was all I could comfortably spend.

Joel

·
rust in my veins
233 Posts
I have an older (05 I believe) Toro timecutter 1642 that I bought after the PO ran it w/o oil. I cut about 5 acres bi-weekly and have had no issues with this machine, mower was 300 and a new briggs for it was 599 from tulsa engine.

·
forkz
6,166 Posts
i have a 06 zforce 50 23 hp kohler command zt 2800 been running it 4 seasons mowing pull sweeper n small yard wagon never had a problem with motor or trans i mow 4 acres a week i.m with u joel i would love to trade up to a m 48 tank but z force runs great n paid for

1 - 18 of 18 Posts