My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
587 Posts
Yes!, What in the XXXX was John Deere thinking when they engineered this part for a 54" deck. This is Arm #M111740 that rear idler pulley bolts to on this deck. It is attached to the arm the tensioner spring keeps the tension on the PTO/deck belt.

Do you see anything wrong with this part? Something no JD engineer didn't think of or care enough about that the owner would no doubt have to replace more often than needed. I'm referring to the center "open" slot in the bracket. There is no reason, and I repeat ...no reason to have this part weaken with so much strain on it, to have the slot. It only there was good looks....OH!. It would have cost somewhat less to make the part. Just another act by the infamous "many parts to buy from John Deere" in the future. Especially this one. I don't need anymore heat under the collar, as it's only 97 degrees at 1:pm today.

·
Super Moderator
32,621 Posts
That part was probably put through 1000 simulated stress tests just to validate the design! Unfortunately you used real stress and not simulated stress!!!!:biglaugh::biglaugh:

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
*whew* glad they didn't put any speed holes in my idler arm, mine's solid (62C) besides, the frame has enough speed holes! :)

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Is that off of a 54 or a 54C? What year is the deck? slkpk

·
Registered
594 Posts
That part was probably put through 1000 simulated stress tests just to validate the design! Unfortunately you used real stress and not simulated stress!!!!:biglaugh::biglaugh:
Yep. Designers love simulations. When you go to the parts counter tell them you want to purchase the one in the simulations that didn't break. :fing32:

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
Yep. Designers love simulations. When you go to the parts counter tell them you want to purchase the one in the simulations that didn't break. :fing32:
Yeah like the 2.7 Liter Chrysler DOHC V6 that Mitsubishi completely designed in computer simulation.. In the real world, they like to blow up around 50,000 miles....

·
Registered
147 Posts
11 years?

·
I color outside the lines
2,159 Posts
You are the first person I have seen with a failure.

I am honestly amazed with the 54" deck. I pamper my tractor but I beat the crap out of my deck at our land. Its getting a work out while we get the place worked into shape.

Hope you have no more issues.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts