My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on doing some work on the side to help cover the cost of my tractor. I will start with a FEL,B Blade and Bushog. What are a few others that will make me some money?

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Sounds like you have the most frequently used covered. I suppose a tiller and disk harrow might bring in a couple of bucks, but would take you forever to pay for. Typical charge for tilling a small garden around here is $50.

Why don't you see how much you can make with what you already have and measure the demand for services in your area? I would suspect bush hogging would be your bread and butter.

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
Very good point Woody. Insurance is a must, especially with a brush hog.

Don't forget to check on any required licenses. You may even need to be bonded. Just check things out very thoroughly first.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Seems like around my place, the backhoe makes the most money. I dug out a deep end for an above ground pool last weekend, and I am doing another one this weekend. Amazing how many people need things done when you have a nice tractor.......:thThumbsU

WB

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Got it covered.:)
Are you sure? You better check with your insurance person to see for sure. Most homeowners ins.only cover while on your property. I had to buy another policy to to transport and use off my property so it's covered. Even if you go next door to help out the neighbor most homeowners policies don't cover it since it's off your property. slkpk

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
soil pulverizer, wood chipper...man I could spend a lot of your money on things that can make you money.:sidelaugh

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are you sure? You better check with your insurance person to see for sure. Most homeowners ins.only cover while on your property. I had to buy another policy to to transport and use off my property so it's covered. Even if you go next door to help out the neighbor most homeowners policies don't cover it since it's off your property. slkpk
You are right that it does require extra coverage. I added a coverage to my homeowners that covers the tractor and trailer plus a blanket liability coverage that will cover any work I do as long as I keep my digging shallow. The cost is only about $50 per month.;)

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have bb,bushog,tiller,disc harrow,fel,62" mowing deck.I have made money with all,but the mowing deck has made the most money.I have several large acreage customers (5 acres or more) and that is where you can make your money when mowing.Bushog will have to be second in making the money.Be sure to have the right amount of weights to balance the load out with a bushog.This is what works for me.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I thought about a finish mower as used is easy to find, but how do you compete with the 500 zero turns from lawn services that are out and about?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Messmaker, In my area there is a lot of competition.You just have to look for the work.Ads in newspaper,flyers,signs posted along the highway or in front of friends houses and word of mouth goes a long way.I get more results from Craigslist advertising my services than anywhere else. Like I said the larger land owner can use your tractor services more so than the homeowner in a subdivision.
I only have a handful of customers but it keeps me busy. I also have a backyard nusery business.I grow landscape plants for sale to the public and also use in my landscaping projects.The key is to offer a variety of services.You never know what someone will want.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts