My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Dan
3,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today

Found that 96 E350 XLT that have cruise control have recalled on it.

What we need to do?
get to dealer?

Will they charge or it free?

How to prevent cruise control from get fire?

·
Super Moderator
31,833 Posts
Its free. Get it done!!! If you look at the master cyl there is a small electral switch on it. What happands is that switch leaks. the brake fluid wicks up the wire under the inslation, and pools in the connector for the cruse unit. When there it increases resistance,heats up then POFF!!!! Oh... and this is a ALWAYS live wire. it can burn just sitting there shut off!!!

Mine was ready to go. You could see where it got hot. Could have went up at any time.

·
Dan
3,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok

if dealer try charge because van we bought last week?

We are 2nd owner it came from Church. I am surprise that Church haven't get letter from Ford about cruise control.

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
Have a dealer run the VIN # on the van and see if it has been done. If not they should take care of it free of charge.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I took my Expo. in for the recall my cruise controll had stoped working so I didn't think it mattered. When I got my truck back the cruise control worked and it was fixed free.
get it done and good luck.

·
MTF Member Since Day 1
622 Posts
Recalls are covered under the warranty, with a 1996 I would call first and see if Ford is going to take care of it for you since it is the cruise.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Recalls are covered under the warranty, with a 1996 I would call first and see if Ford is going to take care of it for you since it is the cruise.
I've never seen a car recall that was dependent on the warranty or who the owner is.

Just call a local authorized Ford repair shop; they'll ask for your VIN number and tell you if the work has been done or not. Since the repair shop is paid by Ford to do the work they'll assuredly be more than happy to do the recall work.

·
Super Moderator
31,833 Posts
No there not going to charge you. I bet you ill start getting 100 recall notices soon anyways now that the van is in your name. If you are not going to get it soon, go under the hood, find that switch, [agean.. its on the master cyl] and pull the wire off of it. You will loose cruze, but other then that you can drive it, and you have no fear of going up in flames.

·
MTF Member Since Day 1
622 Posts
This is why you should not post late at night. Recalls are covered, I was thinking TSB's

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
This is demonstrated by the recent Ford recall that was completed on only 7 million of the 12 million cars recalled, or 60%. The recall in question was the defective cruise control switch that was installed on certain Ford, Lincoln and Mercury models built over a ten-year period between 1993 and 2003. The switch was found to have the capacity to fail and spark a fire—even when the car was parked and not in use.

A serious situation, indeed. Imagine your car parked in the garage, beside the house or under a carport. Suddenly it catches fire at two in the morning, and you awaken to more than your car on fire. Your house could be threatened, your family, neighboring properties. The damage and destruction could be enormous.

And yet, there are still five million of those defective autos that have yet to come in. the NHTSA issued a third consumer alert this past September, in an effort to get those cars off the road, and into a dealer for repair.
This was taken from an article at:

http://www.lawyersandsettlements.com/features/auto-defect-defective-automobile-car.html

There is no time limit and no charge.

·
Dan
3,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well visit neighbor since I know he have Lincoln towncar and F150 XLT with cruise control

I ask him to look at cruise control. I did notice lot brake fluid in cruise control sensor so He say WOW it bad you need unplug that and get to dealer soon that you could do.

Well unplug now and hope they will fix before 280 miles trip in July 19 since it so hard to keep steady speed to save gas.

When I remove plug I see brake fluids cover connector so that bad? It wasn't look like that when bought van it could be reason I use cruise control on trip cause this issue.

·
Dan
3,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
forgot

what about 2001 F250 superduty do they have cruise control recall?
My friend have F250 with V8 5.4L and I try use. It little strange. 1 press on button it act like I push more it cause engine rev more 500 rpm to get reach from 60 to 63 mph.

Isn't that bad? What to do?

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I get better mileage without using cruise when there are a lot of hills as the cruise will over accelerate. Ford or Chevy.

·
forkz
5,931 Posts
there were a couple parked n carports here set house on fire burnt up everything

·
Super Moderator
31,833 Posts
Well visit neighbor since I know he have Lincoln towncar and F150 XLT with cruise control

I ask him to look at cruise control. I did notice lot brake fluid in cruise control sensor so He say WOW it bad you need unplug that and get to dealer soon that you could do.

Well unplug now and hope they will fix before 280 miles trip in July 19 since it so hard to keep steady speed to save gas.

When I remove plug I see brake fluids cover connector so that bad? It wasn't look like that when bought van it could be reason I use cruise control on trip cause this issue.
Oh ya... its bad. And no... wether you used the cruze or not does not make a diference. That switch senses break pressure. So every time to press the brake, ot puts pressure on the switch and tells the cruze to shut off. Its that pressure leaking up through the switch thats the issue. Using cruze has nothing to do with it.

There are a few levels to the recall... from just putting in a fused wire, or replacing the switch and adding a adapter harness and clean up, to replacing all that, plus cruze control unit, and harness....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts