My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for what hydraulic fluid everyone is running in their 400. I have an '82 400. I was running JD Hy Gard in it for a number of years. Last summer I ended up filling it with Tractor Supply's - Traveller Premium Universal Hydraulic fluid. It overall seems to be running slower now. Slower speed and slower loader functions. Is anyone running the low viscosity Hy Gard? I'm going to be switching back to Hy Gard but haven't decided between the 2 versions.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Either cheap Type F ATF or Low Vis Hygard (for your climate). I thought it was designed back in the 70s to be used with Type F. I prefer it since its cheap and red, incase there is a leak you know what kind of fluid it is.

·
Parts collector
3,133 Posts
low vis hydroguard. I had the type F in my 300 when i got it and the seals on the "free wheel" valves leaked. I switched and they stopped.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have a 300 series tractor. It gets hot here for a few months in the summer so I use regular Hy-Gard (not low viscosity) per the chart located on this page...

·
3,354 Posts
I just got that 318 and the manual says to use Low Visc HyGuard...so I bought it and on the container is states that it is for use in temperatures up to 86* F...but it is good in really low temps..if you are in a warm climate you may want to check a little more....but based on dixie460's chart, it looks like HyGyard (plain HyGuard) would be the fluid to use...at least inthe transmission....if it is a separate hydro pump, I think that ATF, or just hydro fluid is suitable

·
Registered
684 Posts
About the only benefit you'll notice from Low Vis is cold weather starting...with cold being 20ºF or less. Once you starting using tractor, air temp will really not matter. Keep your battery in good shape and HyGuard is the way to go. Bob

·
Super Moderator
27,515 Posts
When it gets down to the below zero ranges though you'll be glad to have the low viscosity in there! Now if you don't get temps that low then Low Vis isn't necessary.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts