My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Grumpy old Curmudgeon
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in what you have used your SCUT for.

I use mine for anything that will save me time and energy.

Some Pics:

Post your pics or describe your unique project.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Besides the ~weekly mowing, spreading 25 years of mulch, turning the compost heap, and a few other "normal" tasks, I was very happy to have a machine to help with with a playground project. I built most of it in the driveway, on a hard surface, nearly level, and with power and tools close by. Then used my Massey to pick it up and move it around back!

Attachments

·
Grumpy old Curmudgeon
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fiziksgeek, That really looks good.

My son calls mine a "Force Multiplier" as it is better than having another person to help with projects unless they were a 500 lb gorilla.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Been working on another project. Had what I thought was a gigantic pile of brush, most from the previous owner, but I did add to it. Last time I had a tree service in to take down a couple of trees that I couldn't take down myself, I had them chip the pile. Well, turns out, only the top few feet was brush, under it was a pile of dirt, logs, and junk. The pile was ~6' high, 12'wide, and 25' long. So I started digging in.

Being so large, I attacked the pile by putting the bucket up as high as it would go and back dragging it down, using the teeth to loosen up the ground, pulling the soil out and building myself a platform to reach a little higher each time, until I could reach the top of the pile. Once I exposed a buried log I used a chain to pull them out of the dirt and set them aside. I am spreading the dirt out to level the area where is was clearly taken from. Hope to finish the job this weekend, and will post some follow up pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
150 Posts
Latest Project

The previous owner of my place and his kids raced their ATVs around the perimeter of the property, digging some real nice ruts. My most recent project has been to take 20 yards of screened topsoil I had dumped in my front yard to start filling the low spots. I am getting another 20 yards this week.

I wish I had a box blade, but I have gotten pretty good at leveling and smoothing using the FEL. I also bought a 4' x 4' drag harrow, and am using a boom pole to lift it when I need to. I want to add some more weight to the harrow, but it does a pretty good job as it is. The boom pole makes it real convenient to use.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I also have moved two, twenty yard loads of dirt around this place.....
And grubbed out about one truck load of rocks so far, or so it seems....

I have at least one, most likely two loads to go.... I have used the FEL exclusively (1/3yd) and have had good results so far....

It takes some time to get it done, but that doesn't matter.... I've got the time to put into the project.....

Good luck

·
Registered
93 Posts
Cutting grass
Moving snow
Clearing brush
Dug out a 14' x 28' hillside and leveled with stone for vehicle storage
Grade gravel driveway when it needs it with Woods 5' backblade
Move all kinds of material around property
Move various size trailers around property
Picked up a deer carcass from in front of the house and dug a hole to bury it

When our camp was wiped out by the floods of 2011, did weeks work of work rebuilding camp, moving muck and yuk, debris. Got a middle buster and trenched for new waterlines. Spread tons of gravel where needed.

What don't you use your scut for? LOL!

·
Grumpy old Curmudgeon
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<<What don't you use your scut for? LOL!

Well put Mark.

·
Gravely1964
3,811 Posts
About everything
From digging with the backhoe
P1000992.JPG

To moveing heavy
P1010277.JPG

and akward items with the fel
P1010320.JPG

Snapshot 1 (10-18-2013 8-17 PM).jpg

Also mowing which I seem to not have any pic's with the mmm on :hide:

The yanmar is one of the more useful machines I have and its out numbered 30 to one with my gravely's :sidelaugh. And for the fellows below a fel is like a giant swiss army knife I would say. With a little practice almost anything is possible :)

·
Grumpy old Curmudgeon
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Steve, it is looking great!! I have lots to do this fall and will post some more soon.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I just got my tractor yesterday and I have found the loader to be a very valuable tool. Glad I took the advice about getting one!! So far I have only smoothed out some low spots in the lawn where they dug for the septic inspection. Next, moved branches I cut from 4 trees, mulched/mowed old leaves and partially dug up an old stump. I am sure snow removal will come soon and installing a new greenhouse base is fast approaching. Good times.

·
Gravely1964
3,811 Posts
Did some fall clean up months ago with the yanmar. Felt lazy and left my hoe on :sidelaugh
P1010379.JPG

·
Grumpy old Curmudgeon
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I do that sometimes also Steve. Right now I have my mower deck on and the 3PH. When the dealer, who is now defunct, installed the deck they didn't align it properly so it could be locked out in the up position and styill raise and lower the 3PH. I just need to get iot dry and warm enough to go out a align it properly.

The only thing with having the MMM on and the FEL and BH is running around and not hitting anything for me.

·
Gravely1964
3,811 Posts
I do that sometimes also Steve. Right now I have my mower deck on and the 3PH. When the dealer, who is now defunct, installed the deck they didn't align it properly so it could be locked out in the up position and styill raise and lower the 3PH. I just need to get iot dry and warm enough to go out a align it properly.

The only thing with having the MMM on and the FEL and BH is running around and not hitting anything for me.
You mean the deck lift bottoms out on the stops. Without the lift being the whole way up?

·
Grumpy old Curmudgeon
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I will take some pics and post them. Sometimes I don't explain things in an understandable way.

·
Gravely1964
3,811 Posts
I will take some pics and post them. Sometimes I don't explain things in an understandable way.
Yep take a few im pretty sure mine locks. In the full up I installed it my self :D So it better

·
Registered
253 Posts
So...I know there will be those that will think this was not a good idea, and I don't disagree. I was careful, and it worked though.

Needed to get a tire off of a car. It was rusted on. I don't have a lift or anything fancy, just a floor jack. I was outside on the gravel drive. I beat the tire, sprayed lubricant for several minutes and nothing was working.

So I got my BX. Put the chain through the wheel and gave it a slight tug and off she came.

I realize that the car could have come down off the jack and I woulda been screwed so I went super slow. It worked. I don't know if I woulda got it without.

On a side note, it would be nice if this Thread, or one similar, could be a sticky. Those CUT guys / gals are always bragging about little things they do with theirs. I had to search to find an appropriate place for this. :)

·
Gravely1964
3,811 Posts
Yeah this should be sticky thread :thThumbsU Admins any help with that?

Anyhow heres a few more pics I have

P1020355.JPG Heavy lifting pushing the limts :hide:

P1020443.JPG Stacking snow this winter

P1020481.JPG And cleaning ditches out today. With the 8163-B gravely :fing32:

·
Administrator
13,711 Posts
Happy to oblige.
Full moon, you're right. Could have been a disaster. Glad it wasn't.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts