My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm constantly seeing old 2 wheeled GT's on craigslist, sitting in people's barns, etc. So, my assumption is that they were once quite popular. But, I don't see new ones for sale at Sears, HD, etc. Why is that? Is it that very few people actually have gardens anymore?

·
Citizen of Earth
15,298 Posts
I think you hit upon one answer, I see very few gardens any more, folks just don't seem interested in doing the work. Another reason is if they are indeed inclined to do the work, they buy a machine that allows them to sit while doing it, a 4 wheel tractor.

·
Banned
271 Posts
Hit the nail on the head there, everyone got lazy over the years...

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Not only that, but the average lot for most americans nowdays is less than a third of an acre. Once you put in a swingset and sandbox for the kids and driveway you dont need anything bigger than a pushmower and there is no room for a garden on the side or in the rear yard. Even if you did make a garden, most lots that small dont have a place or even room enough to store a GT of any sort. Neither two wheel or four wheel.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I know that some people do still use the old ones, but many more (I'm guessing) are bought by collectors. Anything they would make today would be lightweight stamped sheet metal, and probably break in half, and collectors would have no interest either. BCS makes a good tractor, but they sell for 2-3k!

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Lifestyles change, most dont garden anymore so all thats left is grass cutting and moving snow. Moving snow with a plow is within an old 2 wheelers capability, but grass cutting gets dicey at best, first there arent alot of the mowing decks to be found for many brands and even if you do find one most are no larger that the deck of a push mower, and with 5hp or less thats bout all one can power,, not very exciting when heading out to cut an acre or two.

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
I used to mow with a 44" Cub Cadet, graduated to a 60" Cub cadet, then graduated to a 72" 24G.

If I had to cut with less than 72", I would let the lawn go to trees!! But at my age, I get to make CHOICES!!!

·
Electrician
937 Posts
I agree gardening is enjoyed more by country folks that have the space and time to enjoy a garden and look at it as a hobby and not as work. They are also meant to save money by canning or freezing your harvest. I use my David Bradley every summer to cultivate during the growing season and to plow or turn over the rows after they are harvested. I enjoy the rugged nostalgic quality and power of these old machines. Then I use a much larger tractor to till before the snow and again in the spring. These older 2 wheel machines are very versatile and easy to manage in tight spaces but there just isn't enough demand for them anymore to create a viable market for any manufacturer. The small and fairly light tillers you get today are what sells because of the relatively small investment and for the most part they are a decent value for what little use they get.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts