My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
This is where he is talking about

Won't open...says The requested page could not be found.

Tried a few more. Looks to me that the ones Simple John put there won't open. Not sure what format they are. The others that Austen and DJ in WV uploaded, PFD files, are available for download.

·
Administrator
2,398 Posts
Hey there,

I'll get some of our techs to look into it, can you shoot me those links too so I can maybe dig into why some are working and some aren't

Thanks,
Gerrit

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
The posts from Simple John, 2009 and earlier open like this....

When you click on that link, you get this page......

When you open the more recent posts from Austen and DJ in WV, a PDF attachment shows up which will then download for you......

Seems to me that the older files have gone to lala land.

·
Administrator
2,398 Posts
We may be able to pull these from the wayback machine website. Its a manual process but it can be done. I can help, just have a huge backlog of support tickets to catch up on tonight and over the weekend.
-Philip

·
Super Moderator
26,701 Posts
We may be able to pull these from the wayback machine website. Its a manual process but it can be done. I can help, just have a huge backlog of support tickets to catch up on tonight and over the weekend.
-Philip
Phil, we need to have all of them put back in place. Isn't there any way to recover them from the old site?

·
Administrator
2,398 Posts
Its a both complicated and simple. The complicated part is the getting it to restore here automatically. The simple and probably most labor intensive part would be copying it over from the wayback machine and editing the posts to get the info re added. I don't mind helping with this I just have other work I need to get done this weekend related to my regular support role. I also have my parent's 50th anniversary this Sunday so that's a write off. I can help get this fixed I just may not have it completed in the next few hours.
-Philip

·
Administrator
2,398 Posts
Check the wayback machine link I posted above, it should show you the link. The other issue to sort out is making sure the software will have a way for us to host a reference library again. If it requires any modification to the site it goes to the dev team since that is above and beyond my personal skill sets.
-Philip

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
I made a post in the Bolens Manuals section, linking that PDF......It goes to the file, but calls it Wayback Machine. I don't know how to change that. Also, I don't know how to find other PDFs that may be in Wayback Machine. I am willing to do some of the work, but don't know how and don't want to screw it up.

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
Also....Since we are talking about the manuals section. I was looking around at the other brands manuals. Seems to me that any manuals uploaded by Simple John are gone. Whether that happened with the platform change or not is anyone's guess.

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
I wonder if they received any take down requests for anything other than the JD stuff? If not, there was no need to remove any of the manuals in the move.
I don't think that is the case here. Other manuals uploaded bt Austen and DJ in WV are still there....I think it has something to do with Simple Johns uploads, they were not PDFs, not sure what they were.

·
Administrator
2,398 Posts
JD is the one company that is very active chasing down manuals posted online. The manuals originally posted by John could have been hosted somewhere and not made it over when we did the cut over. Are they only the ones he posted or have you seen any others not working. I just want to draw a picture of what needs to be done and if I can get help from the ops team or if it will be a completely manual process.
-Philip

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
I can find the files using the Wayback Mach. I am not sure what this Wayback Machine is or how it works, but can do the one at a time. What I get though is just a link called Wayback Machine instead of what the file is called.
From what I can see, only SJs links are not opening....and there are many under many different brands.

·
Super Moderator
26,701 Posts
Philip, we understand about the JD Manuals, but the manuals we are discussing are the Bolens manuals that had been provided by the original founder of the MTF website SimpleJohn. You will find them in this Folder in the Reference Library: Bolens Tractor Manuals also, one of your other VS staff, Geritt, may be working on this, you may want to coordinate your activities.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts