My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I got the G.A.S,well, I knew that time was gonna come, I just didn't knew when, now I know, I want to buy a gravely, what model should I be looking for, talking about a model that is easy to work on and with parts available, , the only one I saw that was in my budget was at 200$, its an old gravely walkbehind, but its pretty darn rusty,and all the attachement are in pieces. should I still buy it,
Plant Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread

·
Registered
19 Posts
The attachment seems to be a snow blower which most don't need. The real test is the tractor. IS it all there? Is the engine free? manifolds not broken? Electric start? Oil pressure gauge? Riding sulky? Other attachments?

·
Premium Member
5,358 Posts
I see an L model of some sort, looks like it has the electric start setup. Can't tell whether it's a 2-speed axle, or any of JB's other questions. I also see a dual wheel setup.

There's a disassembled MA115 blower. Hard to tell condition, but I don't see anything obvious broken, just left outside.

I think I see a deck in the background, but can't tell which one.

200 might be a decent price for all that. I would judge based on whether the engine turns, whether the mag makes a spark. If you tip it nose forward and get oil out the advance casting, yay. If you get water/sludge, or nothing, that's not so good.

If it turns out to be junk, you could recoup 200 by parting it out, but if it were me, I wouldn't want to put that amount of time into it. If I determined that it's salvagable, and I wasn't up to my ears in projects, I might be willing to spend that.

Try to get some more pix, and we can try to give a better assessment of value.

And BTW welcome!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The attachment seems to be a snow blower which most don't need. The real test is the tractor. IS it all there? Is the engine free? manifolds not broken? Electric start? Oil pressure gauge? Riding sulky? Other attachments?
carb is missing

·
Registered
187 Posts
Well, I don’t check out the Quebec Kijiji ads but will give me something to do. From past searches they seem to more prevalent in Eastern Ontario than the rest of the province.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I don’t check out the Quebec Kijiji ads but will give me something to do. From past searches they seem to more prevalent in Eastern Ontario than the rest of the province.
Well, I can tell you, there isn't a lot in Quebec, right now, there is only 2, and that also depend on your search radius, I am at 100km radius right now, and there is only 2 or 3 for sale

·
Registered
57 Posts
From what I see in that picture, don't buy that one.

Sheldon
Agreed. And, depending on where you are in PQ, better to take a day and drive into E.ON to buy a good’un. I drove Belleville to the Eastern Townships ten years ago to buy some truck parts- well worth a day of driving sometimes to get a quality unit. Also, reach out to Gravely Will in Newmarket ON- he sometimes has A+ units on hand.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I think you should road trip to The Philadelphia area and I will charge you ten cents a pound for my 5660 with steering brakes, dual wheels, steering brakes, steering sulky, 40 Inch commercial deck, plow, 28 inch blower, quick hitch, and chains. And if you make the trip with Ontario plates, it’s free to you because I know you care.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

·
Premium Member
5,318 Posts
Border crossing maybe a problem. I have read the snow birds are commercial trucking their rugs across and picking them up at airports on the state side. Maybe this in reverse would work.

·
Premium Member
I use scissors! Twice a week.
6,929 Posts
Supposedly next month (Nov 2021) the US will open their border for land-crossing (Canada already opened theirs a month or so ago, and you can fly across the border no problem).

·
Premium Member
6,484 Posts
Border crossing maybe a problem. I have read the snow birds are commercial trucking their rugs across and picking them up at airports on the state side. Maybe this in reverse would work.
Sent you another private message. Thanks

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think you should road trip to The Philadelphia area and I will charge you ten cents a pound for my 5660 with steering brakes, dual wheels, steering brakes, steering sulky, 40 Inch commercial deck, plow, 28 inch blower, quick hitch, and chains. And if you make the trip with Ontario plates, it’s free to you because I know you care.
View attachment 2523546
Thanks for the offer, but is it a runner?, if so, then I don't want it, plus, going from montreal to philadelphia is a lot of driving, and I just don't feel like driving that much for a gravely, but that offer could interest someone else,thanks again.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Thanks for the offer, but is it a runner?, if so, then I don't want it, plus, going from montreal to philadelphia is a lot of driving, and I just don't feel like driving that much for a gravely, but that offer could interest someone else,thanks again.
It is a runner indeed! I hope you find one to suit; we need restorers like you!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It is a runner indeed! I hope you find one to suit; we need restorers like you!
the only problem is, it is kind of hard to find one near me, that doesn't run but is in fairly good shape, not all rusted up, bonus is, if it comes with attachement, but really, I have never worked on a gravely before, and I like to know how things work, so, trying to get one of these running would be a superb learning experience for me

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok, so, I think this thread as gone somewhere I didn't wanted it to, what I wanted to know was, what gravely model should I be looking for, to fix it,that is easy to work on and with parts still available

·
Premium Member
5,358 Posts
what gravely model should I be looking for, to fix it,that is easy to work on and with parts still available
I think you should look for an L model, but more complete than the one you posted a pic of in post 1. They're generally going to be cheaper than the later models, they're easy to work on, and there are still lots of parts around. From machines being parted out, if nothing else.

Reactions: Early8Q
1 - 20 of 29 Posts