My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, need a topic or two here, so.........

What is the predominate grass used for lawns in your area of the country.

here the rich and famous have either St. Augustine, or some type of Bermuda.....

the ******** have dollar weed or bahai grass

The lazy ones (like me) have centepede

The new home owners have Annual Gulf Rye, little do they know..................

Creeping red fescue does fair, but not great..None of the Kentucky speices does well.

I was hoping to try some carpetgrass in my back yard but its as expensive as centepede is..........so maybe I will just let whatever is there now fill in and thaty includes weeds too.......just as long as its green.

·
Once again a Super Member
13,711 Posts
The predominate grass used for lawns in central Texas are St. Augustine, Bermuda, fescue mix, and buffalo. Never heard of centepende before, but
the ******** have dollar weed and/or Johnson grass

Buffalo grass is the best grass for this area but expensive 5 to 6 time more expensive than St. Augustine.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Mostly tall fescue/blue grass mix.

·
Administrator
11,856 Posts
Mainly Kentucky Blue Grass and Fescue in my Ohio yard. That is if I keep the Dandilion, Clover, Crabgrass, Spurge, Pigweed... (well you get the idea) knocked down.

·
m-ODD-r8r
2,357 Posts
Mostly centipede in this yard (plus assorted and miscellaneous weeds & random patches of odd grass).

·
Premium Member
5,554 Posts
Fescue with lots of weeds and a bit of clover. :bump9: I figure when you go by my place at 20 MPH whos going to notice, My yard used to be a pasture so it tends to be whatever it is. :bonk:

·
Registered
415 Posts
Bluegrass/Fescue

KY Bluegrass/Fescue mix here is SW Va.

·
Retired Super Moderator
5,460 Posts
St. Augustine and early every year i have dollar weed which i get rid of in the spring. But it keeps creeping back in from next door because they dont do anything about it. :banghead3

·
Registered
235 Posts
All I see in my neck of the woods is St Augustine or Centipede. This is my Centipede. Best product I've found to control dollar weed is "SpeedZone for southern grasses". Works fast and doesn't hurt the lawn

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wingnut said:
The predominate grass used for lawns in central Texas are St. Augustine, Bermuda, fescue mix, and buffalo. Never heard of centepende before, but
the ******** have dollar weed and/or Johnson grass

Buffalo grass is the best grass for this area but expensive 5 to 6 time more expensive than St. Augustine.
Ahhhhhhhhh, Johnson grass....that stuff is related to fireants I think. Once you get it you can't get rid of it. The county here plnated it along the berms of the roadways here.........dumb! They cut one time a year, usually fall, and during summer that grass is over 6 feet tall.......When I was in Oklahoma one year, I looked for carpetgrass seed and other seeds not available locally here. I talked to one fellow that told me he tried burning it off, spraying grass killers etc., and it still came back. Eventually they bulldozed the top layers of soil off and trucked it off and brought other soil in just to get rid of that Johnson grass..

It does make some fine hay for cattle if you have a hay machine capable of making a tight roll, which most haymachines simply do not do a good job at.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
My Place

I start by running the brush hog the first couple of years. Then we mow it with the lawn tractor after that, whatever still grows turns into lawn. One thing I notice is most of the weeds stay greener then the grass when it gets dry out.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cat Daddy and War Eagle
Do you love your centeped as much as I love mine.........sure makes upkeep a lot easier without it growing knee deep in a week in the humid weather in this area. I can get by cutting mine once or twice a month most times. I might have put centeped grass fertilizer on mine 3 times in 20 years, but usually put out ironite granules every other year, so it stays nice darker green instead of the pale green look normally associated with centepede.

War Eagle.......are you by chance an Auburn University fan? :fing32: I have to see if Speedzone is available around here. I have lots of dollar weed around my pond and in some damp areas, that I sure would like to eradicate.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Chipmaker I border on a lake and dollar weed was taking over the yard untill I discovered SpeedZone. Atrizine will knock it back, but it takes forever to see results. This stuff works fast in comparison. You can see the weed turning yellow and dying in two or three days. Think I found it at the Tieco or Lesco distributor in my area.

Oh yea...Orange & Blue all the way!

http://www.pbigordon.com/speedzone/sz_sa_tech_sheet.htm

1 - 13 of 13 Posts