My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
5,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! Well today I picked up another 19" Lawnboy, model 5269G, from 1978. Here is the story. A few years ago one of our members, Peoria Murph, was downsizing and offered several mowers that he wanted to pass along. Made the trip down and brought the mowers back, one of which was the 5269G. This was given to Riley (LawnToro) along with another mower and the 5269G eventually went to Riley's grandpa. Fast forward to today and Riley decided his grandpa was going to part with the 5269G and I offered to take it back off his hands so now it is back home with me. This is a D-409 engine and the carb was already replaced with the metal Lawnboy carb and proper reed plate. The mower came back to me with the rope stuck on the starter so after a bit of cleaning, starter repair, double checked the governor setting, etc., it starts and runs great. Thanks in order to Murph, Riley, and Grandpa. I will enjoy using this one as well. As per the rules here are the pictures. Bill

Attachments

·
5,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay I do have a question about this mower. I believe I am missing a part. Part number is 608810. It is called a spring bar. I think it is to hold the 2 speed lever up in place. Must clip under the back bottom of the shroud. Anyone care to weigh in here before I order one? Just wanted to find out how it is attached and what holds it in. Maybe since it is called a spring bar, spring tension holds it in. I know on the newer D600 series they used a rubber grommet. Thanks, Bill

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
The spring bar is a metal piece of spring material similar to what the recoil spring is made of except a little heavier and narrower and a little over 1 inch long that fits in the notch in the shroud to keep the speed adjuster from dropping out. I think I still have some if you can't find one locally. PM me if needed.

·
LBAD Victim
957 Posts
Okay I do have a question about this mower. I believe I am missing a part. Part number is 608810. It is called a spring bar. I think it is to hold the 2 speed lever up in place. Must clip under the back bottom of the shroud. Anyone care to weigh in here before I order one? Just wanted to find out how it is attached and what holds it in. Maybe since it is called a spring bar, spring tension holds it in. I know on the newer D600 series they used a rubber grommet. Thanks, Bill

You are missing that part. I remember you and I discussing that when we fixed it the first time a couple years ago. It is a spring bar that is missing.

I am glad to have been able to pass that mower along to someone who can use it. It served me and my grandpa very well over the last 2 years. The steep hill that my grandpa has is super hard on the 4 cycles unless they are pressure lubed. Plus, the lack of weight was really nice.

·
Premium Member
1,296 Posts
Clean looking mower. Likely get many more years out of it.
I’ve used a piece off of a damaged recoil spring I have kicking around and just cut it to length to fit. I’ve done this twice now with good results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
5,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info on the spring bar guys. I found a local dealer that had 2 so I bought them both. Less than $4.00 for both. Clipped right in and holds the speed lever nicely. I got to use the mower on one of the neighbors yards today. Man does it run smooth. Started on one pull but it did want to die out without priming, probably because I was messing with the carb the first day and got it too lean. Turned the needle out about 3/4 and it ran perfectly. Polished up the handle today and put on a new handle cover. Sharpened, balanced, and oriented the blade. I think I will enjoy having this one in the rotation. I will keep an eye out for a replacement shroud as it does have a lot of gouges on the sides however the deck is in amazing condition and it is my favorite style. Would like to order some new decals but until I get a smoother shroud those will have to wait. Bill

·
Registered
87 Posts
New shroud?? That one looks almost perfect to me! Perfectionist! :-D

Seriously though, would some very fine grit sandpaper clean that up a bit?

·
5,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the compliments but the pictures do not do the scratches in the shroud justice. Someone over the years must have been shoving it under some bushes or something. I have never sanded out a plastic shroud but I will assume that it would not be possible to sand and polish it enough to get it back to the factory gloss and I would rather keep the scratches than paint the shroud. Not a big deal so I will just continue using it for now. Bill

·
LBAD Victim
957 Posts
Thanks for the compliments but the pictures do not do the scratches in the shroud justice. Someone over the years must have been shoving it under some bushes or something. I have never sanded out a plastic shroud but I will assume that it would not be possible to sand and polish it enough to get it back to the factory gloss and I would rather keep the scratches than paint the shroud. Not a big deal so I will just continue using it for now. Bill

About those scratches...

That shroud was not the original shroud on that mower. When you and I worked on it originally, we also worked on an 8253. We had swapped the 8253 shroud on there since the original 5269G shroud had an issue with a leak. The 8253 was really beat up, so the shroud did have a fair amount of scratches.

·
5,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
5,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got to mow another yard tonight with the 5269G. My wife was using the 5273, D-600 series. Amazing sound with both mowers started and running at 3200 RPM. Very harmonic. The 5269G ran flawlessly and I am enjoying using it. Earlier in the day I replaced both handle brackets with nice used ones as the left bracket was from a self propelled 8253. Also the air filter cover was badly discolored and even though I had a new one in stock I decided to see what I could do with it. Used a razor knife blade and dragged it repeatedly over the discolored areas until everything was smooth and nicely green again. I may try this method on the side of the shroud. I have found a few on eBay but most are more than I want to spend and not any better than what I have. Bill

·
Green is where it's at.
94 Posts
Very nice!
I have a question.. since I'm not yet completely familiar with the older models.. Are all of the ones with a top that looks like that (same shape and control orientation) a 'D-series' motor?

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,793 Posts
Very nice!
I have a question.. since I'm not yet completely familiar with the older models.. Are all of the ones with a top that looks like that (same shape and control orientation) a 'D-series' motor?
Yes, all those with that style shroud are D series engines, and more specifically D-400s.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Wow! That's perty! Great job. :fing32:

·
Green is where it's at.
94 Posts
Yes, all those with that style shroud are D series engines, and more specifically D-400s.
Okay thanks. Now I just gotta figure out how to tell the difference between the different D-series engines.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Okay thanks. Now I just gotta figure out how to tell the difference between the different D-series engines.
I took the below info from here a while back and made myself a nice Word doc with it...

Identifying 2 cycle Lawn-Boy engines
Walt Conner

If it has 3 mounting holes and sits flat on the muffler plate… it is a "C" or "D".
If the recoil pulls sideways, it is a "C."
If the recoil pulls straight up with 2 fingers it is a "D." Then, if it has points it is a D400; if it has CDI, it is a D600.
ALSO, if there is just a single re-enforcing web in the transition between the cooling fins of the cylinder and the cooling fins of the head, it is a "C" or "D400".
If the web forms a capital H, it is a D600, "H" for high compression. While it will interchange with the cylinder jugs of D400 and late "C"s, do not do it as the flywheel cooling fins can not handle it. (I found out the hard way.) On the other hand, a D400 cylinder jug will go on a D600 OK; just loses some power.

If, when you look at the carb side, the engine looks like it is standing up off the muffler plate on 2 spraddled legs like a Sumo Wrestler… it is an "F" or a "V."
If the engine cooling fins are round like the cylinder, it is an "F.”
If the cylinder cooling fins form a square, it is a "V".

Muffler out the side? An "E" or DuraForce.

·
Green is where it's at.
94 Posts
:swow: Thanks TSG!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Walt 2002 did all the hard work! :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts