My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an XT3 GSX with a 54" fabricated deck. The unit is currently in my storage barn for the winter and the doors are snowed shut. I'd like to order some Gator blades to put on in the spring (if that ever happens), but I don't know what number to order. I previously had them on an older Cub with a 46" deck but don't remember where I ordered them from. Any help with what number I need and where to get them would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Duane

·
Super Moderator
18,175 Posts
Here You Go Amazon.com (y)
596-351 are the Gator Blades to replace your standard Blade On the 54inch Fab deck

·
Premium Member
I use scissors! Twice a week.
8,734 Posts
I find keeping a list of machine and engine model/serial numbers on my computer and phone, makes finding the right parts easy when ordering either on line or in person.

·
Brockway
515 Posts
My experience with Gator Blades has been totally negative. Acquired them for a Husky 2354 and a Ferris 1500.
Both machines performed much better with standard lift blades.

·
Premium Member
4,180 Posts
My experience with Gator Blades has been totally negative. Acquired them for a Husky 2354 and a Ferris 1500.
Gator blades are designed for mulching, although they somewhat work for side discharge. Mulching is almost a completely different method of mowing than most are used to.

·
Super Moderator
18,175 Posts
Well Up Here In the Midwest if You get a really wet spring or summer there Performance will suffer. When I still mowed with My JD X748 I would Use normal Blades In the spring until early June, then Change over to Gators for the rest of the Mowing season, and they seemed to Perform as they were supposed to

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
My X500 with 48" deck did well with the Gator blades on my 1 acre flat lawn. Produced a somewhat finer chopped discharge which is what I was looking for. In Michigan here so we get the wet spring too often with too much time between cuts due to rain and very soft ground. What I ended up doing was to run the Cyclone Rake with every cutting unless it was in the driest part of the season. Got the best the Gator blades could offer, and the cleanest cut lawn thanks to the CR, as if vacuumed. Maybe my imagination, but weeds were also noticeably fewer.

But now I am in the country with 4+ acres to mow so the CC ZT2 with 60" deck is used, but it leaves some of the heavier spring growth clippings behind. Recutting heavy areas or the next cutting usually takes care of the dead stuff, but you learn to appreciate the acres instead of a manicured patch.

I believe that Oregon's web site has a blade selector to help narrow down the various Gator applications. It is best to have all your existing blade measurements written down as well as the hole size and shape. If it is a star hole, how many points on the star too. Length, width, thickness of steel, etc., should be known to get the match up.

·
Registered
598 Posts
You really need more data about your XT3. Ours, a XT3 GSX, lists more than one 54" fabricated deck as a possible fit. I don't know if they all take the same blade or not.🫤

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess I'm gonna have to wait until spring to get the Cub out of the barn and then get the deck number and the numbers off the blades. That's the only way I can be sure of getting the right Gator blades. Thanks all for the help and suggestions.
Duane

·
Registered
66 Posts
I guess I'm gonna have to wait until spring to get the Cub out of the barn and then get the deck number and the numbers off the blades. That's the only way I can be sure of getting the right Gator blades. Thanks all for the help and suggestions.
Duane
I suggest the G-5 Gator Blades vs the G-3. I have used on my Cub GT2000 for 4 years. The G-5 blades have the high lift and work fine when I bag and have a great throw. They last 3 times as long as Cub OEM blades and cost about 1/2 as much. The Oregon website has a place to enter your current equipment or oem part number for a Oregon Blade number. Also ok for mulching if grass is not very high.

·
Premium Member
5,508 Posts
I suggest the G-5 Gator Blades vs the G-3. I have used on my Cub GT2000 for 4 years. The G-5 blades have the high lift and work fine when I bag and have a great throw. They last 3 times as long as Cub OEM blades and cost about 1/2 as much. The Oregon website has a place to enter your current equipment or oem part number for a Oregon Blade number. Also ok for mulching if grass is not very high.
Which deck do you have? I have the 48" fabricated on my GTX 2000. I tried Gators last year (G6's), they unfortunately were not a good solution for me. They left a TON of grass caked to the underside of the deck, and would have clumps of clippings falling off onto the yard, like if I ever stopped moving or had to shut off the deck. This is with Cub's mulching kit installed. With Cub's OEM mulching blades, deck buildup is much much less, and there's no clippings clumps falling off.

It was a surprise to me, as I've had great luck with Gators on other tractors in the past. But this particular combination was not a success, sadly. So I went back to the OEM mulching blades.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have a 42 inch (2 blade) Stamped Deck. I believe the G-6 Gators are wider and thicker than the G-5 blades. It is not unusual for different decks and widths of decks to react differently to the type of blades used, in particular, multi-use blades. I believe the stamped decks are more forgiving of a multi-use blade than the fabricated deck and possibly the more blades, the potential for more problems in mulching. Again, for my multi-use situation, the G-5s have worked ok.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts