·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK,

For the Transmission ( K71B )
My owner's manual says J20D
My Tech manual says J20C if used above 32F

I called two local Deere dealerships and one said J20D and the other said J20C.

I emailed tuff torq, they say J20C but had no comment about temps when I asked about what the tech manual said.

I plan on using the tractor for pushing snow this winter so I am concerned the tech manual says J20C is only appropriate above 32 F. It will be colder than that here this winter, but will also be above 100 F next summer.

I would like to stick with the JD recommended fluid, but if I have to go to an engine oil (5W-30 or 10W30 as advised in the tech manual) I will.

Please advise. I really want to get this right the first time. :praying:

I am also planning on changing the engine oil to a full synthetic at the same time. The owner's manual suggests 10W30 or 10W40. Tech manual says 5W30 or 10W30. Any suggestions there?

Should I just get a couple gallons of 5W-30 and use it for everything??

I have read way too many posts and tried to figure out why the owner's manual and tech manual don't agree. I am just confused! :banghead3

·
Super Moderator
18,658 Posts
Just Use the J20D which is Low Viscosity HY-GARD You can use it Year round
Directly from Deere Manual
These machines are equipped with an internal wet disc brake transmission. Use only Low Viscosity HY-GARD® (J20D) transmission oil. Do not use type "F" automatic transmission fluid.

John Deere Low Viscosity HY-GARD® (J20D) transmission oil is specially formulated to provide maximum protection against mechanical wear, corrosion, and foaming. It may be used in all operating temperatures.

I Use JD Low Vis Hy-Gard Year round has a Maroon Label :thThumbsU

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that Sergeant. I was ready to go with J20D but when tuff torq and my tech manual said different it made me second guess myself.

As always, this site is an excellent resource!

·
Super Moderator
18,658 Posts
Just make sure you get the Low Vis HY Gard there is regular HY Guard has a Purple Label:thThumbsU

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.