My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a Murray 46" 17.5 HP (mod. 46581x92a, sn 7431706001R00110). I'm not the original owner, and don't have the engine manual, and apparently whatever plate or decal the engine code was on is no longer on the engine - either that or it's hidden REAL well. Could someone please advise what the Briggs engine model and code is on this mower? I may be needing a new starter. I always end up having to jump start it, even with a new battery. I did just read about re-adjusting the valves to .004 in order to get the compression release to work properly, and will look into that before getting a starter. The starter is working, but I removed it and disassembled it anyway, and the armature smells pretty "burnt" - so it may be on its last legs, even if the valve adjustment trick works.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,689 Posts

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
:Welcome1: 1st of all!

If you have a way to take photo's and upload them, we always like to see pictures of what you are describing. You just have to get the sizes down where they can be accepted on the forum. I use a free image resizer by MicroSoft, called ImageResizerpowertoy, it is easy to use.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...2IC7Cg&usg=AFQjCNERoYEkOCbRv2rUM31jZLciSHTU-w

It does sound like the starter is questionable. But the adjustment of the valve lash isn't hard to do at all. The .004 is the correct lash setting and it could be the problem, but I'd bet the starter is the issue.

Show us pictures! :wwp:

·
Premium Member
5,689 Posts
A quick bounce around Google shows a 17.5 hp Briggs was the powerplant. But what model I don't know. Worst case scenario you could take the starter to your local small engine guy and he can match it up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all replies so far.
I do already have the mower manual. I asked the local small engine dealer, and he told me something in excess of a hundred bucks for a starter (I sorta stopped listening to him at that point!). I'll try to get pics by Thursday.

·
Premium Member
5,689 Posts

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
Ok, you took starter apart, but did you hook it to a battery and spin it? You would lay the starter body on the neg post of a good battery and touch the post on the stater to the pos post and if all is well, it should spin the Bendix up into the extended position and spin with good rpm's and not make any funny sounds after releasing it from the posts. Like a loud squawking bearing. The top point of the starter where the shaft exits through the starter body can be the chatter from a bad bearing, and can usually be greased with a White Lithium grease in a spray can with one of the little red spot tubes. I've revived many a starter. If it really does need replaced, try eBay before forking out $BIG BUCKS!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That shop always seems high on stuff. I don't think he gets on the internet much. Of course I wasn't able to give him an engine model or anything, so that was just his guess. Yes, I've seen the ebay starters - just not 100% it's the correct motor, or if I need one yet. The do look the same though. I'm hoping the valve adjustment will work. I haven't done a spin test on the starter yet - will do this evening.
In searching for the engine model, I removed the blower housing - nothing stamped on it. No stamp on the OHV cover. Don't see anything on the muffler shroud. Looks like there used to be a cosmetic engine cover, as there are brackets on the front and rear that don't have anything bolted to them - maybe used to have a decal there....
Here's a few pics on flickr (sorry - I didn't even wash it first! :sorry1:):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cocojen/sets/72157624584936593/

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
Well, It has to be something that was attached to the shroud metal itself. It shouldn't have that space around the fan shroud. But seriously the engine info should have been on the upward facing top ohv cover. Check with a mirror to make sure someone maybe turned the cover upside down.

Again, the starter in the photo, is shown with the battery cable stud showing in it. You can use jumper cables to check the starter. The body of the starter is neg. -, and the stud is pos. +. Just try to get it lubed at the top where the Bendix spins on the shaft. That is, if the starter isn't shot.

The starter in the diagram, if not the same, should be of some help to identify the working parts of the whole thing.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the starter diagram. I too noticed the unnatural gap in the fan shroud - I have a feeling it isn't original... When I had the OHV valve cover removed, I confirmed there are no markings on it.
I did the starter test, and it spins up just fine. A little bit of a "chatter". I oiled the 2 end bushings with 3-in-one oil.
But the great news is, after I adjusted both valves to .004", and re-connected everything, it turned over MUCH better, and started without the need of a jump. Apparently there is much truth in the tip that there is a compression release that doesn't function with too big of a valve gap. I don't know how it works, but it does.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bumping my old thread in hopes someone (who maybe has the same tractor?) can tell me what engine model I have (Briggs 17.5). Going to need some parts soon probably, and it's always such a pain when I need to find parts without knowing the model... please see above posts for my pics. Got a good (?!?) fuel leak at the float bowl now, probably need a new seal.
By the way, my hydrostatic drive (Peerless 205-024C) started going out on me (no/low speed during slight incline). I was able to remove the bellows and drain/refill the tranny, and it now works good again! I re-filled with Mobile 1 0W-40, per another thread.
Appreciate any help with the engine model!

·
Registered
24 Posts
WRENCHED, I have a 17.5 hp Briggs but it doesn't look anything like that. Mine is one of those opposed twins. It looks like a BMW R motorcycle with the jugs sticking out on each side. My starter is on the other side and the bolts are vertical not horizontal. I'm going to try and fix my starter so I can mow while looking for a replacement. Good luck. I think your machine is a 2000 model year if that helps at all.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts