My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Sears Fan
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what weight setups you guys have for your sears suburbans. I am planning on making concrete wheel weights, but am unsure of how much to add to the back. I don't know how much weight the transaxle can hold, but I imagine its quite a bit.

So, how much weight have you put on your sears for snow plowing?

:thanku:

·
Sears Tractor Fan
1,262 Posts
Last year I only had chains and 160 lbs of me on my '69 SS 12. Didnt need any extra weight on it. This year I have chains and 70 lb ea. wheel weights on my '67 Sub 10 and ags with 120 lbs of factory cast weights on my '69 Sub 12

·
Registered
173 Posts
I don't know how much weight the transaxle can hold, but I imagine its quite a bit.
The modern sleeve hitches are expected to hold up to 400 lbs. I would think you could apply the same standard to the old three points on these tractors. Then there's the weight of operator...

The transaxle doesn't really support weight strapped to the wheel anyways. It's all supported by the wheels/tires.

·
Registered
590 Posts
if you put the weight on the wheels it really doesn't count against the rearend limitations. i run 25 pound 2" wheel spacers, 26 pound cub cadet wheel weights on the inside of the wheels and one set of sears wheel weights. i plan to add rv antifreeze the the tires soon as well. i'd run at least one more set of sears weights if i had them, but hey, i like overkill.

·
Registered
590 Posts
The transaxle doesn't really support weight strapped to the wheel anyways. It's all supported by the wheels/tires.
lol, you got it out while i was typing

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
Lets see.....

In full pulling gear....

-Loaded 23x10.50-12 Ags - 50# each x2
-Cast Wheel Weights - 33# each x6
-Front Wheel Weights - 25# each x2
-Front Weight "apparatus" - 140# x1
-Big A$$ steel thing - 160# x1

For a grand total of: 648# plus 175# of me for 823#.

So dry, the tractor weighs 675 plus 823 = 1,498#

·
Registered
742 Posts
A set of bolens wheel weights which I think are 50 lbs each and I weigh 250. I want to make a concrete weight box to mount on my 3 pt hitch.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
i have 2 wheel weights, one in each tire, that are hub caps filled with lead that weigh 112lbs a piece, and 2 plastic/concrete wheel weights on each wheel that weigh 33lbs each, then a 116lbs driver

·
Sears Fan
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the info guys!

I know the weight won't count against the transaxle limit if it is in the wheel. Just curious to see what you guys ran for weight on the back more or less, and how much wheel weights you all use.

Again, thanks for the help!

EDIT:

As I am making a "subframe" for my homemade plow, I am thinking I might add some weight on it towards the back. It will act as a tray of sorts that could hold some relatively flat heavy objects. As a matter of fact, my grandfather has some steel wheel weights off of some tractor or loader that are probably 1" thick. Not sure how big or heavy they are, but they are pretty heavy. Maybe on on the subframe and a couple on the back.

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,270 Posts
I have loaded ags, about 50lbs each, and 66lbs of cast weights on my 18/6 and a tote box with wood or concrete cinder blocks in it - maybe 50-60 lbs

Loaded turfs on my SS16 about 56 lbs each side.

2 sets of cast weights 66lbs on each wheel and a 45-50lb rear grader on my Super 12.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,719 Posts
My SS-12 was my plow rig last year--it had filled tires when I got it (unknown with WHAT!),and I put stock sears plastic/cement wheel weights on it,some crappy truck chains cut to fit (4 link or less!) ,and I made a mount to put weights on the back where the 3 point normally would bolt too,I had a pair of cast irom Planet Jr. walk behind wheel weights that are 82 lbs per pair,and I added another 65 lbs by putting used disc brake rotors on it also,plus a 15' long 3/8" link logging chain so I can drag stuff around or yank it out with it I bury it that probably weights another 30 or 40 lbs...

It will push anything my 4x4 truck will,or climb right to the top pf the snowbank with NO wheelspin!..I was amazed what it would do,even with just a 6 horse Briggs powering it!..
My neigbors eye balls almost popped out of the sockets when he saw me climbing 6+ foot high banks with it,pushing a full blade of snow!..I was surprised myself!..If I'm not careful I could have kept going till it went over the other side and flipped!..

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Lets see.....

In full pulling gear....

-Loaded 23x10.50-12 Ags - 50# each x2
-Cast Wheel Weights - 33# each x6
-Front Wheel Weights - 25# each x2
-Front Weight "apparatus" - 140# x1
-Big A$$ steel thing - 160# x1

For a grand total of: 648# plus 175# of me for 823#.

So dry, the tractor weighs 675 plus 823 = 1,498#
I've had my 1969 SS12 pulling tractor up to 1200lbs.

-Loaded Ags - 40# each x2
-Cast Iron Wheel Weights - 33# each x4
-Ford 8N Wheel Weights - 30# each x5
-Wheelie bars - ?lbs
Total 362lbs plus 230lbs driver = 592lbs

·
Sears Fan
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Tractor#2, I am a little weary about loading my tires at this point because I still have the original tires that were on the tractor from the factory. They all hold air fine, but are very dry rotted/cracked and I am not sure I want to load them quite yet. I will be making a rear weight shortly, and wheel weights as well. If I should need it, I may buy tubes or new rear tires when I have the money and then load those.

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
best bet for easy rear weight that doesnt use the tires is to find a suburban hitch plate, not be confused with the 3pt, and cut it down to a 6x10 rectangle. grind the nuts down on the upper two holes, and you have a plate that will line up with the holes on YOUR hitch plate. then weld some pipe on the back and stack barbell weights on

·
My spoon is too BIG!
76 Posts

my set up. not sure what the factory wheel weights are. i would think/hope 50 pounds. and each suitcase weight is 28 pounds. my suitcase weight bracket i made holds 6 but i only have 4 currently. my uncle works at an iron foundry and im going to see if he can make me a few more.

even here in wisconsin i don't see the point in as much weight as possible on my sears. if the tires spin a little thats fine. i know i won't break anything on it.

·
My spoon is too BIG!
76 Posts
i also us a 54 inch blade

1 - 20 of 22 Posts