My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
Ken is 100 percent correct. That is C-17859 and it is part of the H-13 weight box kit. It allows the box to be mounted to the front of the tractor but it isn't needed when the box is mounted on the rear of the tractor.

If someone wanted to make their own front counterweight, that would be a good thing to have. The Seller was an active member here but has decided to sell off his loader tractor and loader/backhoe tractor on e-bay. He did not find buyers the first time around but he's trying again.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why would someone need more weight in the front on a 2wd tractor? Im just asking

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
You need it for rototilling, plowing, for using disc sets, for harrowing and if you have the mounted log splitter on the tractor. It's just one of several front weight options that Case said "Don't leave the shed without it."

·
Registered
238 Posts
Why would someone need more weight in the front on a 2wd tractor? Im just asking

When a rear implement is being used, and in it's 'lifted' position, the weight of that implement will tend to lift the front wheels off the ground.

Also, a tractor without any implements attached at all will pop the front wheels off the ground, and possibly roll over while travelling uphill. :crybaby:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok that makes sense. Im just trying to figure out if that part is worth it for me to just have just in case I want to fab something up. I already have a brand new spare mule drive that came with my snowcaster that my dad picked up a few years ago so if anything I can use that to make something that attaches to the front end

What do you think that bracket is worth including shipping?

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
It's worth as much as you are willing to pay for it. And if you don't want it more than another guy, then he'll win it. I'm not telling you anything you don't already know.

Brian could tell what a new one costs but is that relevant? As for shipping, it's anybodies guess. This is one of those situations where you just watch the auction and make up your mind in the final seconds.

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
Also, a tractor without any implements attached at all will pop the front wheels off the ground, and possibly roll over while travelling uphill. :crybaby:
A skillful Operator will break the fall of the tractor with his body so that there is no damage done to the tractor. :fing32:

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have the hydra bagger and a hilly yard. When the bags are full of lush grass it is not unusual for the front wheels on my tractor to pop up off the ground, and I have even had difficulty steering when the bags are full and I am turning on a slope. It has been somewhat dangerous frankly, so a weight in the front is something I need to do. There was another post in here about how the tractor can perform better with weights on front with the bagger with regards to steering. I am just not an ebay member so I won't be able to bid on it. The old Munderhill posts from CT a while back had pictures of his ingy with a nice set of weights on the front with his log splitter on the back.

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
I believe that MU had a set of suitcase weights. I've seen that set sell on e-Bay for well over $500.00 on two occasions. Sometimes they go for less though.

·
Super Moderator
31,890 Posts
Here are two cases for needing the weight.. As was posted, when that three big bagger gets full of wet grass, it can make the front kinda light... The problem with that, is that you cant mount the weight bracket/box on the front with the mower deck on it... So as you see I added a mount for weight plates... The other is the weight box on my 224. When the splitter mounted you need all the weight you can get!!! You go NOWERE with out it. I added wheel weights to the front off the box also, to help offset the weight of the duelaction splitter.

Attachments

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I ended up picking up that bracket. I'll make good use of it down the road. I'd love to get my hands on a log splitter but the cost involved in me adding one to my 220 will be more then a 400 series tractor cost nowadays.

Thanks for all the info guys.

·
Super Moderator
31,890 Posts
I lucked out and found the splitter, in a packedge with the 224. my dealer had it for sale used, and I kept asking about it... just the splitter. Finly walked in and said... OK.. give me a number for the whole packedge.. I could not pass it up, so I walked home with not only the splitter, but the 224 also.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I lucked out and found the splitter, in a packedge with the 224. my dealer had it for sale used, and I kept asking about it... just the splitter. Finly walked in and said... OK.. give me a number for the whole packedge.. I could not pass it up, so I walked home with not only the splitter, but the 224 also.
Well the kicker with the splitter for me is that it may get a workout for a couple years but once I catch up on all the tres on my property, the splitter will just end up sitting there. If it was gonna cost me around $300- $400 for the whole setup then I would really go outo fmy way to get one but I dont even have the rear PTO on my tractor.

I have a almost brand new snowcaster that I cant stand using though. Bought brand new from the dealer a few years back and it must have 2 hours on it.

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
If you buy the splitter for the right price, you could use it for 2 years, then turn around and sell it for as much or more than what you paid for it.

As for the snowcaster, I can't understand why you would be unhappy with it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My driveway layout and a tired engine just make using the snowcaster really hard. Plus I can only use it during half the snow storms we get. The 6-10" of wet snow are impossible to move. Im sure a good strong running engine would help but I havent gone down that road yet.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts