My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I acquired an STX38 1998 I believe. Yellow Deck-

I am trying to understand what the clutch pedal does. I looked at the microfiche, and looked at the tractor and all I C is a bar running over to the brake, it rotates slightly when the clutch pedal is depressed, then there is a spring in a spring providing tension, but I do not C how it is disengaging anything to allow for shifting.

When I shift (clutch depressed I get a bit of a jerk)

Couldn't find the answer in search, sorry if a newbie question-

any info is appreciated! :fing32:

·
Registered
378 Posts
on the hydrostatic stx the pedal is nothing more than a parking brake.On the gear drive it actually is a brake to stop moving.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
getting closer... I think.

Should have mentioned, I have a manual shift model-

So it is not actually any type of clutch, in that it lets something slip so I can change gears?

With a manual transmission is it acccepeptable to change speeds on the fly then?

again thanks, new to this-

·
JD318
990 Posts
I believe it just disengages the belt from the pulley for a second to shift.

·
Registered
378 Posts
my fault.I misread the post and thought you were asking about the brake.The other guys are right,it loosens tension on the belt so you can shift.

·
Certified Master Tinkerer
3,045 Posts
On gear drives its tough to "shift on the fly" like a car. You come close to a complete stop in between gears. The main reason my 185 took over mowing duties from the 180 is the speed change flexibility of the hydro trans.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks guys!

makes sense now. and don't shift on the fly... no problem! :thanku:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts