My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Cal Fire Air Tanker Pilot
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I been reading these forums for quite some time now and most of these threads are about some sort of problem, which is understandable considering the age of these N tractors. I see that a lot of people are buying them to restore to show room quality, or for parades or are buying them to put them back to work. What ever the case may be, I think it would be interesting to see what exactly people are buying and fixing these tractors up for and I’ll go first.

I own 44 acres of almonds in central California. The property came with a crippled JD-2240 but I needed something that was shorted to the ground that was easy to get on and off of for most of the work around there.

I bought my 8N and fully restored it for row and strip spraying. The 8N does not have the power to pull and turn a 12 foot frail mower, but works perfect as a ground sprayer and pulling downed trees to the brush pile. And repairing irrigation. Since the 8N is too fast in Reverse I bought a 9N for Strip Spray. I also added another 8N as we had the need to be more productive since I have a full time job on top of the farming venture.

Yes, I do have quite the assortment of tractors and equipment out there now and they all serve a purpose except for that Chinese one I need to get rid of, but most of them can not be used until after harvest because ROPS and Backhoes have a way of knocking your profits off the trees.

What do other people use there N series tractors for?

·
Banned
635 Posts
Mow around the farm, harrow firebreaks, and pull stuff. Maybe level dirt once I get a box blade.

I do this when my tractor is running right...

BUT CURRENTLY IT HASN'T RAN MUCH SINCE I BOUGHT IT! GR! It runs and quits but I plan to solve this problem soon! I hope!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Mowing mostly on my 46 acres. But I also use it to haul around the trailer picking up trimmed tree branches, dragging large trees to the burn pile, pulling up posts, moving heavy stuff around with the boom pole, plowing, and on one occassion - my front wheels got some air time pulling an old duck blind down that was decades overgrown with vines and trees. Also pulls the hay wagon ride at our annual property celebration.

I plan to do some dirt work once I get a blade.

These N's are awesome utility tractors for our size property.

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
Whatever I can think of, well, the 'N' did until I got the 850. Now it is in 'N'tensive care to bring it back to life, a life of leisure, well more than it had in the past.

Seems like EVERYTHING I go to do the tractor is there like a trusted companion. Fencing, clearing trees & brush, mowing, hay hauling, spraying, driving to visit the neighbor... you name it.

·
Retired - Veteran Mod
6,791 Posts
Mowing my 10 acres.
Fencing
Cleaning the barn out (and hauling in fresh sand)
Dragging trees to the brush pile (and logs to the firewood pile)
General lifting (I love my boom pole)
Garden work (2 bottom plow and/or 5½' disk)
Cutting hay
Raking hay
Pulling the trailer when picking up hay
Moving the trailer around the place
Spraying

That's about all I can think of, right now...

·
Registered
194 Posts
Mine is just mowing a four acre field with a bush hog or a finish mower, and pushing snow in the winter. For the price, nothing new comes close to what these old timers can do.

·
Registered
8 Posts
well, I dont have an "N" but my 600 (close enough to an n in my book though you may disagree) I bought it for brush hogging. then i got a backblade and started moving some dirt around, but it didnt do so well because there wasnt any down pressure. This year i got a 2 bottom plow and 5 foot disc harrow and planted about a half acre of corn and pumpkins. Next yeat i plan on tripleing the size of my garden. I am in the process of installing a loader now. Just need more info on engine driven hydraulics and i will be moving dirt again. No real purpose or job, just something to do to get my mind off life for a while.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I brush hog about 10 acres, cut wood with a cord wood saw attachment, haul wood, plow snow and move dirt around. I've only had 'er for a little over a year but I'm hooked. Oh, sometimes I just go out with a beer and admire the old girl.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I plan to use mine (1940 9N) for box-blading and brushhogging around my place. I have an auger that came with it and when I ever put up fence around my in progress 4 acre pasture, that will come in handy for putting the posts in.

Just gotta fix the lift and I'll be ready to roll.

BTW, i picked up the 9n, 7' box blade, 4' sidewinder brushhog and auger for $1100. Did I do good?

I've put about $300 more into the electrics and carb rebuild too. Not sure what I'll have to shell out for the hydraulic problem.

Cant wait to get it going.

Thanks,
Luap

·
Retired MTF Admin
26,551 Posts
I I have an auger that came with it and when I ever put up fence around my in progress 4 acre pasture, that will come in handy for putting the posts in.
Luap
Yes you did good..

Be careful using that auger!! Not having live hydraulics, and no reverse, you will screw that auger into the ground!! It takes a little practice by going up and down slowly to get to the depth you want.:goodl:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yes you did good..

Be careful using that auger!! Not having live hydraulics, and no reverse, you will screw that auger into the ground!! It takes a little practice by going up and down slowly to get to the depth you want.:goodl:
Thanks for the advice. Man, I can wait to get that thing working. So much playing to do.

Gonna try moving the arms manually today and see if the lift will work then. Maybe just some linkage needs adjusted.

Thanks,
Luap

·
1944 Ford 2N
731 Posts
Use mine for

hogging - my acre an neighbors 3 acres
subsoiling - resolved a huge drainage problem
gardening - cultivator and middle buster are indispensible.
yardwork - pulling around a tailer hauling equipment - seed- limbs- etc
leveling - box blade works great to beat down a path..
lifting - boom pole gets the hog up plenty high to sharpen the blades-
Learning- there's always something to figure out on these old beauties

and most importantly

ESCAPING - the realities of life. Once I'm in the seat every worry and pressure from work goes away and I feel at peace...

·
Registered
194 Posts
Ride once in awhile.
Moving snow in winter.
Giving the grand kids a ride.
Just to look at.
Taking to local parades.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I dont use mine for anything except driving on special ocations. right know i'm starting to restore it. i suppose you are wondering why i dont use it mutch? becase it was in my family since my Great Grandpa bought it bran spakin new. its really special to me.

I hope my restoration goes well.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I dont use mine for anything except driving on special ocations. right know i'm starting to restore it. i suppose you are wondering why i dont use it mutch? becase it was in my family since my Great Grandpa bought it bran spakin new. its really special to me.

I hope my restoration goes well.
I just went through a "restore" last summer on my 8N. So if you need some ideas, let me know.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Mowing, bush hogging
plowing & discing the garden
driveway maintenance
snow removal
Vehicle recovery.

·
Registered
106 Posts
We bought our Jubilee about 12 yrs ago...it's the main worker around here. It does:

FEL chores (horse poo and snow, pushing T posts into the ground)
Back blade chores (snow and gravel)
Lotso brush hogging (45 of our 93 acres are open field)
Raking hay
Shuffling hay wagons around
Tilling the garden
3 Pt Spreader duties
Pulling a brand new 4WD Kubota out of mud and out of a lake (true and funny stories)
Pulling a variety of cars and trucks from the mud
Pulling a half finished coop from one pasture to another
Hauling a zillion things around our 93 acres
Giving my Grandson a ride almost every day

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts