My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My tractors are in need of some cleaning, and I don't have a crane to use like in the video Caseguytoo Posted

I have used Simple green for cleaning stuff on my truck before, and have had good results.

I just don't want to harm the tractor any by getting water where it shouldn't be.

So what method does everyone use? Pressure washer or just a garden hose?

·
Super Moderator
16,754 Posts
I have used a preesure washer but I use it on a low setting. or I use a terry cloth and a Bucket of water with car soap in it. The JD dealer where my younger brother works uses a pressure washer on all the machine they get in for service Before the mechanics even work on them. I use a blower on my machines after each uses. especally on My JD X485 to keep the vent's clean around the radiator

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
I used the compressor, but then discovered the leaf blower is even better for the initial cleanup.

Use the pressure washer on the underside of the deck, and a little dish soap and water for washdown.

Leaf blower again for drying.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I typically use the leaf blower after mowing, but they are in need of a little more through degreasing.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
In that case, simple green cuts grease pretty well if you mix it strong enough.

I'm only use it high strength exactly where you need it.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Leaf blower after most uses and when I wash I use a bucket of dish soap and a brush on a broom handle. I sometimes follow-up with a coat of wax.

·
JD Green all the way~!
1,312 Posts
You all are making me want to go buy a leaf blower, thanks! LOL

Me, a damp rag, to clean up the dust from mowing on the out side.

Under the deck, i just scrape it with a putty knife, and maybe once or twice a year, it will be scrubbed with dish soap and fully cleaned when I am done with it for the season.

For the engine, I removed all the metal trim, bought some spray on degreaser (simple green works wonders too, even better if the engine is warm) and then just washed off with the garden hose.

When I first started on the tractor, the entire diff. /rear end was covered in dust, and grease from the transmission seeping. Brake cleaner in a spray can, letting that soak in, and a garden hose wash off, did wonders in this case.

~F~

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
We use an electric leaf blower or air compressor on about all our farm and
lawn equipment as a quick blow down. Then when they're cooled down we
usually wash if needed.

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
Leaf blower when dry.

When wet/muddy: Just water

Every now and then: Purple cleaner and pressure washer.

Purple cleans gobs better than Simple Green.

·
Registered
287 Posts
To "De Grease" use "Greez-off" much better than simple green ,and a garden hose ......remove extra h2o with air hose ,or bake in the sun ! Jim

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Pressure washer and Purple Power for the oily and greasy stuff.

·
Super Duper Member
1,472 Posts
I use the air compressor first to remove anything that is loose. Then I wash my tractor the same way I wash my car. I use a quality wash mitt, and car washing soap on anything that is painted. Citric acid cleaner in a spray bottle, works well at removing grease and grass stains; but it can be hard on paint and bare aluminum parts, so don't let it sit for long. I use citric acid cleaner with an old paint brush, to clean the rims, tires, and any frame sections that are visible.

I wipe it dry with a soft towel. I run the deck for a minute to dry the belt and pulleys off.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
most often, rain on my own. I have no problem with a coating of grease or a light film of oil. It's a better rust preventer than paint. Besides, a pretty gt means nothing to me.

If I'm cleaning one up to sell (never one of my gt's, just a lt I picked up with the intent to sell) I'll use the pressurewasher.

·
JD Green all the way~!
1,312 Posts
We use an electric leaf blower or air compressor on about all our farm and lawn equipment as a quick blow down..
Thank you for not saying job, but you made me laugh anyway cause I was thinking it, and I am immature.

~F~

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
You all are making me want to go buy a leaf blower, thanks! LOL
"Leaf blowers aren't just for leaves anymore!":D Once you have it you'll find more uses than you think... I generally use my blower right after the 5min. engine cool down period. I shut the engine off, open the hood and work the blower from the front to the back of the tractor including the engine and especially into the transmission area under the seat. (I was very pleased when I pulled the fender deck to replace drive belt and idlers to see how clean it was on top of the hydro and the gas tank area.)

Since I can stand the odor of a New York Transit Authority subway men's room after it's bi-annual cleaning... I use Simple Green for all my degreasing. I used to be a firm believer in the old Gunk correctly cut with kerosene but the aromas of my M/C days are long past.:D

I've been experimenting to see what mix ratio works for the amount of engine dirt on my Kawi 20hp, always a bit of oil haze on one rocker cover with a bit of dust on it and 50:50 mix works fine. Spray it on, let it sit 5 minutes and hose it off. I'd bet I could even go more diluted than that and still have it work OK. Greasy stuff like the trip hinge on my plow took a little parts brush agitation and then hose off.

When I rebuilt my Snapper 21 I used Simple Green full strength and it was every bit as good as good ol' Gunk on the baked on tough stuff... I would warn against leaving it on aluminum too long, in fact I wouldn't leave any decent cleaner on aluminum too long. It's the "pits".

·
Super Duper Member
1,472 Posts
When I think of leaf blowers, I can't help but think of one wild party I attended about 20 years ago. Some dude comes walking into the lower level of this kids house from the garage. He had a beer in one hand, leaf blower in the other. He was blowing stuff all over the freakin house. Now thats one use for a leaf blower I will not soon forget.

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
When I think of leaf blowers, I can't help but think of one wild party I attended about 20 years ago. Some dude comes walking into the lower level of this kids house from the garage. He had a beer in one hand, leaf blower in the other. He was blowing stuff all over the freakin house. Now thats one use for a leaf blower I will not soon forget.
When you have folks like that coming to your party it pays to have a chainsaw stashed behind the couch. Saw wins every time against a blower... Y''know like "Rock breaks scissors".:D

·
15,000 +posts!
20,834 Posts
I used my walk behind leaf blower this spring to blow off a truckload of sand I spread on ice during the winter momths!..took awhile,but it was a lot easier and quicker than a broom,shovel,and wheelbarrow!.

I dont wash my tractors much,only hose them off with the garden hose after mowing or getting them muddy...mostly the deck,not so much the tractor,I think water lingers too long and encorages rust on some parts ,its better leaving any oily film or grease on the chassis in my opinion,it discorages corrosion..I only have well water,so the pressure of the hose is not very impressive--I'd like to get a pressure washer..

If I do want to clean one up though,I use Castrol "Super Clean",but beware of getting any on an aluminum engine block,if it had paint on it,it wont after letting that stuff soak on it for more than a minute!..it cuts grease well and its not too expensive,at about 7 bucks per gallon on sale at most places..
I also use dollar store oven cleaner on many greasy parts,it works great,but the same warnings apply as far as using it on aluminum or magnesium or zinc parts..

Two tractors I recently got were left under pine trees for a decade,man,that pine pitch is **** to get off--it either says sticky and gooey--or it hardens like a weld,even a wire wheel in my drill couldn't remove it,instead in simply buffed it!--I had to use carb cleaner and let it soak in,even then it was hard to get it off..I was tempted to use my propane torch ,since I was prepping a severely rusted hood,but I didn't dare put it near the gas tank..

·
Anything With Wheels
9,834 Posts
Depends on how dirty I get it. I usually hose mine off after using it....if it's real dirty I'll bring out the pressure washer. I run them awhile after washing to let the engine area heat dry. May blow it off with compressed air if in a hurry.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts