1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
I wouldn't, your probably going to have to do to many modifications and drill some more holes - I wouldn't but that is just me. Don't be in such a hurry - patience is a virtue or as the repairman on Toy Story 2 said upon being pressured to fix Woody in a hurry "you can't rush art".

Check in with the Massey Ferguson guys they used the Tecumseh 12HP (so did some of the older Bolens, John Deere's etc.), but I don't know about application - same oil pan etc or not.

Although I don't know whether I want to sell or not I have one in a MF12 that runs but needs rebuilding, but it has the small starter not the gen/starter, the older machines used the gen/starter.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Somewhere, someone has the right engine sitting in a corner and trying to figure what to do with it. Sooner or later, it will fall into your lap. Fix everything else and wait. Patience is a virtue and in the end is its own reward.

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
Show season is essentially over for this year so I'm with the other guys who suggest that you just relax. In your shoes, I'd spend some time doing some research on Tec engines. As it happens, a friend of mine just bought a nice, complete, running 2712 and I'm going to ask him to look for the engine tag to see if there is a spec number. I don't know much of anything about Tec engines but I'm sure that there must be some info out there in cyber-land that would explain the spec number system.

Once you have a better understanding of that, then you could find forums for the brands that commonly used Tec engines and ask what the spec numbers are for those engines. This would allow you to compare and figure out how close an engine from a Massey 12 is to the engine that was originally in the Colt. As I may have mentioned earlier, Colt and Case spec'd engines used a short crank stub but the cross-mounted Massey's needed a longer crank stub to hold belt pulleys but the stub is easily cut down to the correct length.

The engine is one of the last things needed to complete a restoration anyway. The Colt you happen to come upon is WORTHY of a very meticulous restoration for two reasons. First of all, the 2712 was the top model in the Colt lineup in 1966 and secondly, yours came with the Hydra-lift option which is an unusual find. It takes time to conduct the sort of restoration that this tractor deserves. If you had found a 1965 Colt Deluxe instead, I would be more inclined to say "Ho hum.... let him do whatever he wants with it because there are lots of them around."

No disrespect here but as I see it, you are at an early stage in your tractor collecting hobby where you don't know enough about the Colt line of tractors to truly appreciate how lucky you were in finding that 2712. Hopefully, you will be interested enough in this marque to learn more about them and as your education unfolds, that's when you will better understand the words in this post.

I fully understand your desire to complete this tractor so you can show it and drive it but Haste often brings Error to the party and no one wants him there.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Point well taken and thanks again for the lesson. Of all of the things that I need help with, patience is at the top of the list.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts