1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
670 Posts
They look like they would be great for pulling. The price seems right to. You could probably turn around and sell the wheels for $20 if you can't use them.

·
Registered
683 Posts
if your talking pulling a sled, id be careful cause too much grip wouldnt be good, but even if, they would be SWEET to have on any GT!!!

·
Registered
443 Posts
First off they are 8" tires, nothing that uses 8" rims can be called a tractor and chances are that the transaxle won't hold up with that much bite. Not even for one turn,,,,,,,, which is about all you're going to get before the lugs fill up. On an ATV you can spin them fast enough to clean, on a "tractor application chances are that's not gonna happen.

There are reasons Ag tires have the cleats arranged the way they are, years of experimenting have determined that tread pattern works.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I think if I remember right those are called super swampers and work very well on an atv ( I ran them ) you can run them backwards also which work very much like a paddle tire.
For a tractor I agree they might be a little to aggresive

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
they are the wrong size for your custom. but are awesome tires. they chew but dont dig.

·
Premium Member
3,484 Posts
I run ATV and regular tractor lug tires on my garden tractors and 90% of the time the ATV tires are the best pullers especially in mud and snow

·
MTF Junior Poster Esq.
7,644 Posts
I don't see a problem with some sort of adapters to get them on your 5 lug axles. The overall height might be in the ball park. Who cares about rim size on a puller, how they work is what matters.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah i was thinking if thers was a way to drill out the rims to fit the axel

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
i dont think you would be able to drill the rims.. you would need adapters

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
There are reasons Ag tires have the cleats arranged the way they are, years of experimenting have determined that tread pattern works.

Ags are as they are, to provide good compromise for dig-in / traction performance (including lateral), self clearing performance, and ride quality on firm surfaces.

These tires will offer very good traction in a straight line, and good self-clearing peformance... but forget about lateral traction, and riding these tires on firm surfaces will vibrate your joints like you would not believe.... zero ride-comfort.

cheers!

·
Premium Member
3,484 Posts
Actually one of the main reasons tractor lugs on farm tractors are made the way they are is the wear factor,the cleats up the side of the tire shown and on most ATV tires provide extra traction when when the tire starts to dig into the ground plus they provide sidways traction on hills.Wish I could find some of the ATV lug designs for my 25-40 HP tractors

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Actually one of the main reasons tractor lugs on farm tractors are made the way they are is the wear factor,the cleats up the side of the tire shown and on most ATV tires provide extra traction when when the tire starts to dig into the ground plus they provide sidways traction on hills.Wish I could find some of the ATV lug designs for my 25-40 HP tractors
what size tire?

·
Premium Member
3,484 Posts
You should see my 28-12-12 Mud Hogs (complete with a sticker of a pig) on my Craftsman FF 18
will way outpull the 26 12 12 Carlisle on it before
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder(LOL)

·
Registered
519 Posts
i'd definately give them a try. Because even if they don't work out for you, you would be able to sell them for what you have into them.

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,275 Posts
They won't fit your wheels, and i would not want to muck with them. ATV rims aren't rated for weight either. I saw these on ebay and i like them Dirt tamer

·
MTF Junior Poster Esq.
7,644 Posts
Well, he said he wanted traction for pulling. He didn't say he was going gardening with them...and as for looking goofy on a GT, have you seen the goofy looking tires some people use on their puller fronts? looks like they took them off the mowing deck.

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,735 Posts
First off they are 8" tires, nothing that uses 8" rims can be called a tractor and chances are that the transaxle won't hold up with that much bite. Not even for one turn,,,,,,,, which is about all you're going to get before the lugs fill up. On an ATV you can spin them fast enough to clean, on a "tractor application chances are that's not gonna happen.

I'd beg to differ on the bit about 8" rims. 8" rim will fit quite well on our Gravely 35-G. It currently has 10" rims but as the hubs are the same size as used on the 2 wheel tractors that Gravely built, they would fit.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts